Servitude - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Servitude Reviews

½ December 28, 2013
Servitude is an underrated and not very well known Canadian comedy. The cast was excellent, including the likes of Dave Foley from Kids in the Hall and Linda Kash, probably best known from the Philadelphia cream cheese ads. They both deliver funny performances as the absentminded and apathetic restaurant owner and the cranky single mom whose kids walk all over her.

Franz as a character was very cliched and juvenile, but Enrico Colantoni's performance was ridiculous enough to make it work. However, I think it would have been even more comical to have Mark McKinney play Franz, especially since he would have a lot of chemistry with Foley in the scenes the characters have together. For some reason, I could definitely see McKinney playing that part.

There were too many easy stereotypes in this film; the flamboyant gay waiter, the dumb bro, the Nazi health inspector, etc. They could have made more unique and multi-dimensional characters which would have been more interesting and probably funnier. I know it's just a dumb revenge-fest comedy, but why not make it really compelling?

It was great that they dealt with the elitist attitude that some people have towards low-wage workers. "You do your time and then you get a real job" is the prevailing view. Servitude challenges this notion and in the end, Josh decides that he actually kind of likes his job and that's okay. I loved Josh's supportive dad. It was very touching when he gave Josh his published book as a present.

I thought Servitude as a whole was a bit too television-ish. It felt more like a sitcom or a comedy show than a comedic film. Maybe there weren't as many songs, maybe it wasn't very dramatic, maybe the dialogue was delivered too quickly, I don't know...

As both a former food service worker (but not a waiter) and a current retail worker, I can definitely empathize with the waiters in this movie. I think the best part of this movie was the glorious revenge. Josh finally gets to talk down to his girlfriend's douchey ex and people who stiff on tips are called out for it. That was definitely my favourite part.

All in all, I think it's an enjoyable comedy that deserves a chance.
½ August 11, 2012
Well it wasn't as funny as I thought it be but still had some funny moments in thats for sure I got a few good laugh in it
March 24, 2012
This movie does not look funny at all. Dave Foley looks particularly unfunny.