Sesame Street Presents: Follow That Bird - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sesame Street Presents: Follow That Bird Reviews

½ July 23, 2016
A rare case of a movie I liked as a kid being even better as a grown-ass adult.
½ July 3, 2016
The long running PBS series "Sesame Street" has produced two movies in its 40+ year run, the first was in the 1980s (the second was in the late 90s), and it was "Follow That Bird," a feature that follows Big Bird as he is taken from Sesame Street to be adopted by a family of birds he doesn't fit in with...and he runs away to get back to Sesame Street. It's good children's entertainment...while it is certainly aimed at a younger audience than even the other Muppet films are, it still has some of that Henson spark that makes the Muppets enjoyable for the family. It also brought me back a little to the time when I grew up on Sesame Street...when Big Bird was the star of the show and such (I pretty much caught the tail end of that era, though I never saw this as a kid). My daughter, who is two years old and loves the current version of the show that is airing, enjoyed the movie as well...so I call it a winner.
June 10, 2016
A good movie for kids to see they will like it and have fun watching this!! So show your kids!!
April 19, 2015
Richard Roeper's favorite movie
July 21, 2014
Not as epic as I predicted, could have been better, but I guess it's harmless.
July 15, 2014
There are certain films so nostalgic so well preserved in the heart and memory that even with all the faults that are obviously there its still over enjoyable. Funny thing is I found this movie after its outing(2005) it came out in 1985 obviously cashing in on it's popularity at time. The finished product is a sweet, family friendly romp that has enough catchy tunes to keep you engaged and enough heart to keep you smiling for hours if not days after viewing. When I'm in a bad mood I watch this film. If the muppets can make a come back, maybe sesame street can too?
February 3, 2014
one of my favorite Movies
January 17, 2014
There's a child in all of us.
½ August 4, 2013
believe the first & the best of the several Sesame Street Features that have been produced, Simply the story of Big Bird being moved from Sesame St to a bird family he doesn't connect with a flee's back to Sesame Street.

Filled to the rim of star cameo's and although this film is simply and aimed mainly for children it has enough humour for adults to appreciate.

Much better than I thought it would be and surprisingly stands the test of time...
½ June 16, 2013
While I know I am not exactly the target audience for this film, I didn't find it to be amazing, but it was a good ride down memory road, as I used to watch this show pretty much every day as a child, and I quickly remembered not just the various puppets, but the human characters too.

Some of this film a tad too cheesy for me to get fully into, and I never really understood why it was so important Big Bird have to move away with other birds either.

A handful of great cameos and I'd say the songs were alright: like two were really good, but some like the Blue Bird song or the Flying Upside Down song were pretty bad.

I think this movie works more for nostalgia reasons that anything.
May 4, 2013
Follow That Bird is a good example of how to bring Sesame Street to the big screen

The Story Follows Big Bird as he is sent to Illinois to live with a dodo family unhappy with his new family he runs away and tries to head back to Sesame Street before A bird social worker or two unsuccessful circus owners get him so its up to members of Sesame Street to get him first
½ April 23, 2013
This is a very cute film that will appeal to anyone who has sat down to an episode of the iconic television series, focusing on the reunion of Big Bird (Caroll Spinney) with his Sesame Street family. The principle message of the show remains: the importance of community, diversity and friendship.

There's also a number of fine songs that drive the story forward and it's nice to see every one getting their fair share of the action; Grover (Frank Oz) steals the show and Oscar the Grouch (also performed by Spinney) and Maria (Sonia Manzano) have a number of effective gags as a mismatched team.

The film, perhaps, would've benefited from a secondary plot, but by the end of it all, it's the youngest members of the audience whose opinions really matter.
February 6, 2013
A wonderful kids movie with all the characters from sesame street and a host of cameos from famous actors like John Candy and Chevy Chase. A great film with lots of heart and a real message to it. I remember watching this when I was younger and recently revisited it only to find it's still as good as it used to be.
½ January 30, 2013
The Sesame Street gang makes their big screen debut in the children's film Sesame Street Presents: Follow that Bird. After Big Bird attempts to live with a bird family, he grows homesick for Sesame Street and tries to finds his way back with the help of some friends. Aside from the usual Sesame Street characters, there are featured cameo performances from Chevy Chase, Dave Thomas, Sandra Bernhard, and John Candy. Overall the film is rather bland, and the comedy's quite tame. Sesame Street Presents: Follow that Bird has some fun moments and some interesting characters, but it's held down by an overly simplistic story that's not very engaging.
January 22, 2013
This is the REAL Sesame Street movie!
December 7, 2012
Worth finding and watching!
November 19, 2012
loved it, I thought it was good movie, I actually want it on DVD, loved it, I thought it was a great film and I loved it, it starred Frank Oz, Jim Henson, Carroll Spinney, John Candy and Chevy Chase
November 1, 2012
Big Bird is feeling lonely in Sesame Street since he was never raised by a bird family and there are no other birds living there. Opportunity soon knocks when Big Bird gets the opportunity to live with a family of birds. However, Big Bird finds that he is not happy with his new family and decides he is going to head back to Sesame Street and what follows is the great adventure back home while Big Bird's real family tries desperately to find him.
It may seem weird for a 20-year-old man to get excited about this movie, but even though this is technically a kids movie and can be enjoyed by anyone who has liked Sesame Street at some point in their lives. For kids, its a fun movie with their favorite characters and for adults it's a nostalgia movie. I really enjoyed this movie in the way that it shows the importance of family and that it does not matter who is raising who, but rather how they raise you. Family is more than that. I also enjoyed the musical numbers and thought the songs were pretty catchy considering they are meant for young children (including the one featuring Waylon Jennings). I even liked Kermit the Frog's cameo in it. I'm not sure if he was still a starring muppet on the show, but nonetheless, I liked how they threw him in. However, there were two parts of this movie that kept me from giving it a perfect score. The first is the Dodo family, a family of dodo birds and the family that Big Bird temporarily lives with. Their behavior is just plain silly and I realize they are suppose to be since that motivates Big Bird to leave, but even after he leaves they still act silly and do not seem to care that their new family member has just run away from them (so much for family). There's even a part where they act a little like racists when they tell Big Bird he needs a new best friend since his best friend, Snuffy, isn't a bird. I'm pretty sure that wasn't the intention of Jim Henson, but it still felt wrong. I also wasn't very fond of Cookie Monster in this movie. For the most part, Cookie Monster is just eating up Gordon's car. I know that this is part of Cookie Monster's character as he eats things other than just cookies (or even food), but a car is just ridiculous. I did not find that funny even at a kid's level of humor. However, these are small flaws to an otherwise very good movie and I'm not ashamed to have watched this on my own at age 20.
½ October 27, 2012
For the kids but amusing at times for adults too. Big Bird leaves to live with a bird family meaning Snuffleupagus has no friends on Sesame Street. Oscar the Grouch, Grover, the Count, and Cookie Monster all help to bring Big Bird home.
September 24, 2012
Notice how Elmo is on the cover? Guess what? He's nowhere in sight in this movie. Its still a fun road trip movie with all our favorite Sesame Street charactors