Seven (Se7en) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Seven (Se7en) Reviews

July 1, 2017
Suspenseful, haunting, and very dark in nature, Seven is a film you don't want to watch twice
½ June 26, 2017
Retiring police Detective Somerset and new transfer Detective Mills discover a number of elaborate and bloody murders perpetrated by a serial killer based on the seven deadly sins. Morgan Freeman and Kevin Spacey's performances are so great and convincing, their characters are so detailed and calm. The ending is totally haunting and scary. The film has an excellent structure and its nomination for Film Editing is well deserved. It is worth watching it. It keeps you interested.
½ June 25, 2017
Great movie , amazing cast.
Two detectives fall into the trap of an insane killer who is creating a masterpiece to fulfill "God's work"
June 23, 2017
Seven is original, suspenseful and adds up perfectly to it's chilling climax in which the twist is revealed. Seven is extremely well made and acted, it's focus on the seven deadly sins being used as ways to murder people was both shocking and original. Seven will always be a special movie for me and a must watch.
½ June 18, 2017
There is a distinct joy that one gets from watching David Fincher. I can't pin it down to any one thing, whether it's the cinematography or the plot twist or something else. However, his films' ability to consistently grip the viewer by the throat and not let go for two hours has stayed with me, and is one of the reasons why he is one of my top five directors working today.

My greatest regret is that I did not watch Se7en when it came out. Over the twenty-odd years that have passed since, it is no longer a surprise that Kevin Spacey is John Doe and we all have a pretty good idea what is in the box. Nonetheless, the film is slick and tight, two hours of pure suspense and action. It is refreshing to see some earlier work from both Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt, and the odd couple shows that even the most distinct of actor pairings can produce the best of films. Dark to its core, Se7en is perhaps David Fincher's most unforgiving of films, and that is saying a lot (see: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo). What to see next? Ah yes, Zodiac.
June 16, 2017
This film was an amazing film. Its a suspenseful ride till the end. The "Box" ending is amazing. The score was chilling. The cast is great. Freeman and Pitt were amazing. The actor for John Doe was amazing also. This film is a thrilling ride.

Rating: 10/10
June 5, 2017
Brilliantly original, a gruesome success.
May 25, 2017
Scary and fucked up! I loved it!
½ May 20, 2017
A great idea for a motif and modus operandi, great acting, great surprises, great development. I wish I had the chance to be able to spot the killer at some point in the movie, though.
May 16, 2017
This is not David Fincher's debut, he also directed Alien 3. However, this is his first original directorial debut. This film has a very deliberately slow pace, but that just all builds up to the shootouts. It is not as good as Fight Club or Panic Room, I will say that right now. However, it is a damn good film at that. Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman make an excellent team, and Kevin Spacey is absolutely haunting as the killer. You probably won't recognize him, due to his shaved head. However, I've seen plenty of movies with Kevin Spacey, so I know exactly how his voice sounds. The ending will definitely mess you up and will leave thinking about it for days afterwards. Not for the faint of heart by any means, but fantastic if you like extremely dark movies.
May 10, 2017
Dark and disturbing, David Fincher's thriller is a masterpiece. Pitt and Freeman are both amazing and Kevin Spacey is incredibly disturbing as the villain.
April 30, 2017
I swear they got their moneys worth from the rain machine, this film has constant rain lol. Great film!
April 28, 2017
Too many movies were like this in the 90s, just on autopilot
April 24, 2017
90's predictable detective film ....not a great work
April 22, 2017
This movie was scary as hell, it's also disturbing to the point that you want to look away but definitely a must see.
April 18, 2017
Un grande thriller che riesce a far tenere il fiato sospeso in numerose scene. I colpi di scena non mancano e riescono ad essere sempre imprevedibili. La sintonia tra i due protagonisti molto buona e un'ottima sceneggiatura li fa interagire in modo realistico con il mondo che li circonda. Ci che rende interessanti questi film gialli sicuramente il fascino che caratterizza l'antagonista: in questo caso il soggetto stato trattato in modo esemplare, con un personaggio fortemente caratterizzato e motivato sotto molti punti di vista. Troppo spesso questo aspetto viene trascurato anche nei film pi moderni, e per questa serie di motivi ritengo che "Seven" sia un esempio a cui molti dovrebbero ispirarsi per ricominciare a creare thriller di questo livello.
½ April 13, 2017
Review (1~5)

#Content: Script 5 | Acting 5 | Cinematography 5 | Film Editing 5

#Visual: Costume Design 4 | Makeup & Hairstyling 4 | Scenic Design 5 | Lighting 5 | Visual Effects 5

#Sound: Score & Soundtracks 5 | Sound Editing & Mixing 5

#Overall (1~10): 9
April 9, 2017
I don't see anything good about this movie only the main antagonist is interesting to watch. The movie is generic shouldn't be talked about period.
½ April 8, 2017
This is one of my favorite films, yet one that I haven't returned to in quite some time, so I gave it another day in court to confirm that it is indeed as solid as I remembered. The film follows two detectives in a depressing rainy city as they pursue the serial killer John Doe, who's working his way through the Seven Deadly Sins with 'themed' murders, and holy shit is it a depressing and fun ride.

Solid performances from everyone involved, and well worth another look if you have the chance.

Highly recommended.
½ April 4, 2017
This is one of the most horrifying movies ever made. But it doesn't just consist of violence. It has amazing performances, tense scenes, and a nail-biting finale which you won't ever forget for a very long time.

2 detectives try to hunt down a psychopath as he kills people in grotesque ways based around the seven deadly sins.

This movie contains several memorable scenes which have the tendency to knock you off guard. Besides the ending, another amazing scene is when they investigate the sloth victim. The gore is amazing but we get the jumpscare of our lives in it. I'm not going to spoil it though because otherwise I'll ruin it. Many people will agree that the ending is the best part by far. It is tense and suspenseful and it is completely unpredictable. It is one of the most memorable movie endings by far.

Also, the acting is amazing also. In my opinion, Kevin Spacey and Brad Pitt both give one of their best performances yet. Morgan Freeman's also gives as amazing performance and it is rivaled only by his performance in The Shawshank Redemption.

The acting worked real well because this movie did a great job with its choice of casting. Fincher probably looked at previous works of Freeman, Pitt, and Spacey's roles and he knew that they would be perfect for these roles and his casting choices really paid off.

As much I want to give this movie a 10, there are a few scenes which I felt carried on a bit too long or were more slower-paced than the rest of the movie. There weren't too much that bothered me too an extensive degree though. However, I do think that this would've been a masterpiece if it weren't for those few scenes.

Nobody thought much of Fincher when he directed Alien 3 and he was originally dismissed as just another style over substance director. However, he looked at the mistakes that movie made and he showed moviegoers with this movie that he is a talented director. Since then, he has made several more amazing movies (especially Fight Club) and he is now one of the more appreciated directors working today.

In conclusion, Se7en is a near perfect movie. Sure, the pacing can be a bit slow at times but this is still an amazing crime drama and I think that this is one of the best crime movies ever made. It will keep you on the edge of your seat the entire time and it contains one of the best finales to a movie ever. I understand why some people disliked this movie but none of the reasons affect my opinion of this movie and I think that it is a must-watch for everyone as long as you don't mind realistic violence and gore.