Seven Days In Utopia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Seven Days In Utopia Reviews

½ November 4, 2015
Gotta love a movie that requires you to go to a website to find out how it ends. Seriously. "To continue the journey..." and then a website didhemaketheputt. Movie, you suck.
September 22, 2015
I'm not Golf Fan But this is s great movie
Lucas Black , and Robert. Duval
½ April 17, 2015
A terrible contemporary take on Happy Gilmore. The actor who plays the caddy is actually his dad. KJ Choi plays a 4-time Masters winner and goes by TK Oh (credits show Tae Kwon Oh). Robert Duvall is the mentor to a young Lucas Black.
January 27, 2015
Great message and I enjoyed the story. I liked that they didn't just go with the predictable. Looking forward to the sequel.
½ December 1, 2014
The film averages in entertainment as it is not dull and has an intriguing story.
½ November 28, 2014
The story is somewhat cliché but it's visually pleasant and the performances were okay. Not great but not bad.
½ May 21, 2014
Definitely had its flaws, but I'm a sucker for golf movies. And maybe I'm a sucker for life-turnaround movies, too, or just needed a message this one at this point in my own life.
April 12, 2014
This Christian-themed, inspirational foray into the sacred soul of golf and man is beautifully shot, well-acted by a cast headed by Texans Robert Duvall and Lucas Black, and about as electrifying as a Sunday afternoon La-Z-Boy golf nap. I say SKIP IT!!!
½ March 4, 2014
Reasonable uplifting movie about a young talented golfer who has to conquer his demons and is given help and guidance from an old pro
February 24, 2014
Monday, February 24, 2014

(2011) Seven Days In Utopia

It's basically the redneck equivalent 'golf' version of "The Karate Kid" and "Searching For Bobby Fischer". Co-written and directed by Matt Russell starring Lucas Black as golfer Luke Chisholm who has just lost an important match against his popular Asian opponent K.T. Oh( K. J. Choi). And apparently throws a giant fit while driving away and at the same time, throwing away his cell phone when his dad was trying to reach him. While along the highway, he came across two roads- one road leading probably to his home while the other sign saying 'Utopia'. He choses to drive through Utopia which is a population of over 200 people, and almost hit a cow, blatantly walking on front of him while Luke was driving. He ends up wrecking his car, with a man on horseback coming to check up on him to see how he's doing who happens to be an old man named Johnny (Robert Duvall). And because it'll take about a week to get his car fixed, Johnny then offers Luke to spend 7 whole days with him to improve on his golf swings by requesting him to do specific things, such as paint on a canvas as well as other activities rednecks of Texas do.

While Robert Duvall was good as usual, "Seven Days..." has the makings of a made-for-TV family movie of the week, which life's important lessons can be figured out within the first 40 minutes, and to continue watching this would be wasting quality time that can be used on something else. One of the major downers is the end, if viewers wanted to know whether or not Lucas made that last shot or not while he was competing, that they would have to go online which viewers should not have to do. It says that it's based on a book by David Cook called "Golf's Sacred Journey: Seven Days at the Links of Utopia" who was also credited for writing the screenplay.

2 out of 4 stars
February 22, 2014
Well cast (Robert Duvall at his best), directed, photographed, edited. Scripting "T.K. Oh", four time Masters Champion --- and --- failing to finish the parable on-screen weakened, but did not destroy, an altogether enjoyable viewing.

Politically Correct displeasure with a lesson in basic moral values?!? Go figure. See it --- feel it --- trust it.

A must for golfers --- a worthwhile and enjoyable viewing for others.
½ August 11, 2013
Funny, funny, funny movie. May even be funnier than Soul Surfer.
½ July 6, 2013
If you love golf, Robert Duvall, and Lucas Black (Friday Night Lights, 42) then you are going to love this movie. Great story of a young golfer that's lost his mojo, and feel he has no real purpose in life. Just then he runs into an older man (a retired golf pro) in Utopia TX who teaches him about golf, mentors him on life, and helps him to find his center through an abiding faith in God. Rated G, beautiful cinematography, suspenseful golf moments with a nail brighter ending. You can watch this with your mom and your kids. No cussing. No nudity. Nothing explodes. And its not missed.
I was deeply moved.
June 17, 2013
I had no idea what to expect. What an amazingly pleasant surprise. It is so much more than a golf movie. I showed it to a group of at-risk teenagers that struggle to sit still. They sat quietly throughout and were EXCITED to discuss it afterwards. We need more movies like this!!!
May 31, 2013
this sounds like a rather interesting movie I can not wait to see it
April 14, 2013
Pretty good except for having to check out a website to find out how it actually ended.

Robert Duvall is excellent as always.
March 19, 2013
Fantastic movie! Inspirational!
½ March 18, 2013
Good Christian based movie that delivers some good messages about life. I enjoyed this one, but, does have a strange twist for an ending
March 7, 2013
I'm not much of a golf fan, but this was great!
February 28, 2013
This is the worst sports movie ever made.