Seven Faces of Dr. Lao Reviews

• Nov 30, 2018

After reading many of the reviews, positive and negative, I'd like to remind the audience that this was released in 1964 and to consider the other offerings of the time. This is the same year that saw the release of Merry Poppins, The Incredible Mr. Limpet, Mothra vs. Godzilla, and Dr. Strangelove. Certainly there was a wide range of cinematic skills, talent, styles, and technology. And, this movie stands somewhere in the middle or these. The acting can be stiff, but that was part of the times. Also note that the easily offended may very well not fully understand the social changes that movies like this brought to the forefront and how it (and other films like it) influenced the driving forces of change that have brought the US closer to the ideal.

• Jul 21, 2018

An old Chinaman named Dr. Lao played by Tony Randall arrives at turn-of-the-century Arizona town one day. Claiming he is planning a two night circus, his only apparent possession is a fishbowl with, what we later learn, contains the Loch Ness Monster. Dr Lao learns of a scheme by a wealthy landowner to strongarm his way into buying up the town's property in order to greatly profit due to the soon-to-be-built railroad. As part of the magical circus, Tony Randall also plays Merlin, Pan, Medusa, Apollonius of Tyana, and the Abominable Snowman. Some very funny moments in this family-oriented fantasy.

• Mar 13, 2018

Its a travesty that its 2018 and this film still has not had a blu ray release, preferably from criterion. Great PictuRe. A lot of lessonS are taught And simulated throUghout the courSe of the film. I absolutelY love it and agree with the critics from rotten tomatoes. AlThough it isnt perfect in terms of special effects and political correctness, it is a very Noteworthy film from 1964.

• Jan 19, 2018

Tony Randall is pure gold in this enjoyable George Pal production goes that still makes me smile and warms my heart.

• Oct 28, 2017

Amazing, especially for 1964.

Amazing, especially for 1964.

• Oct 13, 2017

One of the strangest movies I have ever seen. Caught it last night on TCM. Actually rather clever and fun.

• Jul 16, 2016

Amazing film! Tony Randal is amazing in the various parts he must portray in this piece. It's great to see Barbara Eden in a serious role as well.

• May 14, 2016

7 Faces of Dr. Lao (1964) ??? Colorful, amusing fantasy about enchanting circus performer who aids a small western town to find hope and restore their discouraged lives. Kudos to Tony Randall, who plays seven roles! Honorary Award Oscar for make-up achievements.

• Jul 14, 2013

It was fine, but nothing to write home about. Not the best writing or acting, that excludes the main character who plays seven different roles.

• May 11, 2013

One star goes entirely to Tony Randall. Great acting.

One star goes entirely to Tony Randall. Great acting.