Seven Men From Now - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Seven Men From Now Reviews

May 4, 2016
Stoic and grim faced Ben Stride (Randolph Scott) is after the seven men who killed his wife during a robbery gone wrong. He takes out two rather quickly, and then must hunt down the remaining five, but is saddled with a husband/wife in a wagon who are a bit out of their depth, and the shady Bill Masters. (a wonderful Lee Marvin) The movie is pretty taut and minimalist until the ending, where things get sort of cliched and predictable. I liked most of it, but the last act could have used some fine tuning.
½ January 25, 2016
He was fixing to cut you down.

An aging former sheriff has a significant guilt streak for a string of events in his former town that led to the death of his wife. He is now tracking down the men responsible and is on his way to find them when he comes across some settlers heading the same direction. He agrees to ride with them to keep them safe. As they discover more and more of his story, they try to talk him into being at peace with himself first. Will they convince the sheriff he's a good man either way, whether he gets revenge or not?

"Sure is a wild country. I like wild things."

Budd Boetticher, director of The Tall T, Ride Lonesome, Comanche Station, A Time for Dying, Decision at Sundown, The Killer is Loose, and City Beneath the Sea, delivers Seven Men from Now. The storyline for this picture is interesting and has a classic western feel to it. The acting is very good and the cast includes Randolph Scott, Gail Russell, Lee Marvin, and Don Barry.

"They ever catch up to the fellas that done it?"

I came across this a long time ago via Fios recommendations and decided to give it a viewing finally. This is a classic western with interesting characters and well portrayed character development. I really enjoyed how this was put together. I recommend this to fans of the western genre.

"I'd feel a whole lot better if you rode along with us."

Grade: B-/B
January 17, 2016
The perfect western. It has everything that makes a western GREAT. Carried by the smooth and charismatic Randolph Scott, this is not an original revenge flick, but so well written with a very nice series of plot twists it streams into a very enjoyable story and perfectly acted by all Lee Marvin defines the word villainous sociopath especially with his guns worn like that (as he found out they don't work so good that way). Even the romance is good, albeit a bit goofy, with a true Hollywood ending.
June 26, 2015
One of the best westerns ever.
½ January 29, 2015
a very good western and beautiful horses to.
½ January 4, 2015
A typical western, not much excitement.
½ January 3, 2015
Fine, complex Western that keeps things moving throughout, and gives all of the main characters " about six in all " a well rounded part in the outcome. Like in many of his movies, Randolph Scott is the leading role, and while he's not a great actor, he knows how to lead a Western. And he does so very well. Thoroughly enjoyable cowboy flick.
January 1, 2015
150101: First thought, Annie Greer (Gail Russell) is beautiful. So beautiful in fact that I did a bit of research. Tragic story to her life. Next thought, I can't wait to see Bill Master (Lee Marvin) die. I disliked almost everything about him, even his dress. Speaking of dress, found a couple of the costumes, including Marvin's, poorly done. Good job Walter Reed for his part in this story. Except for his character's final act of stupidity, he maintained his role well. Was there no loyalty in the 1800s, between criminals and married people? Felt Crete was the hardest done by. Anyway, not a bad film. Well worth watching.
October 15, 2014
Terrible title, but really good western. Lee Marvin is an interesting villain, Scott is very stoic and dependable, and the story is interesting and entertaining. Reminds me a little of the James Stewart/Mann westerns in terms of style and direction (though not as dark).
February 24, 2014
scott + boetticher= damn fine western
August 3, 2013
A normal kind-of western. Nothing special. I see why John Wayne turned down the lead role. (Produced by Wayne's production company "Batjac")
March 4, 2013
This movie's really good. Bye!
½ December 10, 2012
Excellent western. Two things that stood out to me: First, when Lee Marvin (who steals the show here) joins Scott, Russell, and Reed in the wagon during the storm and tells a story about 'a man he once knew.' The dialogue in this scene is splendid, as is the direction and the performances by all the actors. Second, there's a shot near the end where Russell and Reed are leaving and Scott is seen in the distance, framed between the the couple and the wagon covering. It's almost like an inverse of the famous shot of John Wayne in the Searchers, released the same year as this film.
November 17, 2012
How can you not love Randolph Scott and Lee Marvin???
½ October 27, 2012
An entertaining and well-written western that is also capable of delivering a credible amount of twists in its storyline. Randolph Scott plays an ex-sherrif out for revenge on the 7 men who killed his wife during a Wells Fargo office robbery. Wondering around sun-burned prairies he encounters a couple-in-need and later on decides to ride with them to the city of Silver Springs, where the whole grievous event took place. While he blames himself for what happened to his beloved wife, Stride's only concern is to find the murderers and shoot them dead at first sight. On the road he meets his old-time rivals Master and Clete, who join their group as well. The atmosphere intensifies as the men start to struggle, Annie Greer shows her true emotions, and the Wells Fargo robbers plan a deadly surprise for Stride. Watching Seven Men from Now proves to be a truly thrilling western experience, and a splendid character-driven showcase lead by Randolph Scott and Lee Marvin.
February 6, 2012
Great plot, well acted, and has several badass scenes in it
November 5, 2011
Very great. A perfect and economical film with a truly beautiful sense of style. Grim but understated, there is nothing wasted here.