Seven Psychopaths - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Seven Psychopaths Reviews

½ June 19, 2016
Smartly written, well-acted and unconventionally funny.
June 18, 2016
One of my personal favorites, and probably one of my favorite movies ever. I know it may sound silly. This movie, although it is crazy, silly, and very funny, it has heart. And the ending was beautiful in my opinion. The soundtrack is especially memorable and to this day I'm still listening to some of the songs.
½ June 17, 2016
Been watching crappy movies all along! Finally a good satire-black comedy!
June 17, 2016
Smart and sharp, intricately made, though trips over itself occasionally and suffers abrupt shifts and transitions
June 2, 2016
Great blend of humor, heart, and violence. The cast is killer and play each part perfectly but the real star is the writer and the strange meta way the film plays out.
June 1, 2016
Directing his second feature film, Tony /Oscar winning writer Martin McDonagh takes a clever tongue-in-cheek self-reverential autobiographical approach to Hollywood's inherent foibles in the convoluted yet compellingly constructed caper film, Seven Psychopaths.

A curious movie whose subject could be about any writer trapped at the beginning the creative process, one layer invades another as the imagination process goes into overtime and for the first time in a long time a screenplay is genuinely enticing on its own merit.

Suffering from an extreme case of writers block, alcoholic Irish screenwriter Marty Faranan (Colin Farrell) has only a title for his next script, Seven Psychopaths, but nothing else.

Eager to assist by any means necessary, Marty's part-time actor best friend Billy (Sam Rockwell) places a classified ad calling on former psychopaths volunteer for interview. Disconcertingly one man petting a rabbit shows up (Tom Waits) claiming to be a specialist serial killer of serial killers.

Sparking unusual visions of killers; from an Amish to a Buddist, Marty starts to concoct six more psychopaths to round out his book. But stimulus may be closer than Marty first thought as self-justifying scammer Billy and his bizarre business partner, Hans (Christopher Walken) also qualify.

Snatching the beloved pets of well-off citizens and returning them for reward, the duo pick the wrong victim dog-napping Bonny the Shih Tzu. Belonging to the emotionally inept Charlie (Woody Harrelson), Bonny is the sole living creature that inspires affection from the cold-blooded gangster, exclaimed by her tag that read "Return to Charles Castello or you will f-ing die."

Enraged, Charlie sends out his minons to reclaim Bonny and as crazy mounts, Marty receives more material than he could ever use and now just needs to live to tell the tale.

A cacophony of distorted sub-plots, Seven Psychopaths eloquently states from the get-go its intentions to be as out-there as possible as a brain-teasing talky exploring a writer's inner battle to solve a cinematic jigsaw with 'layers'.

McDonagh assembled a killer cast. Having worked on the broadway production of 'A Behanding in Spokane' with the enigmatic Rockwell and the eccentric Walken, McDonagh adds to the Tarinton-esque mix, bad boy Farrell and the weirdo worthy Harrelson. The actor's delightfully natural chemistry and intense interactions is a work of art in itself.

The Verdict: Vivaciously nonsensical, overtly violent and stunningly acted, I am not sure that the sum of this fiercely non-PC comedy adds up to a grand total of amazing but it will eventually gain cult patina. Sometimes you have to leave your analytical mind and surrender to cinema, at least for once it is on a piece with brains - even if there are a few screws lose.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 16/11/2012
½ May 31, 2016
Very, very entertaining but the plot can get messy at points.
½ May 25, 2016
Seven Psychopaths is a weird and wonderful piece of fiction, Martin McDonagh managed to hone an individual level of darkness and created characters that resemble the occupants of an insane asylum, more than the dwellers of the real world. However this is where the mastery lies, the progressive tone is schizophrenic, there is a mystery to these personalities and their sanity, which allowed the talented acting ensemble to let loose. Each performance had its own uniqueness, be it touching, disturbing, weird, narcissistic and sometimes all of these things at once. As you would expect, the characters collided like a car crash and despite all that, this mesh of madness was hilarious. Shockingly, I felt as if I was caught in the cross fire of their lives, but never have I been so comfortable in being unaware of how a film was going to play out. Seven Psychopaths is a true piece of comedy relief and if I had to describe it in one sentence, I would call it; "an organised mess of total comedy".
May 21, 2016
160521: Wacky but, nowadays, too familiar. Don't think it will ever be a classic.
May 11, 2016
I take stars off any time a movie is about writing a screenplay. And there's really only a few psychopaths in it... Not even close to seven
May 8, 2016
A waste of these fine actors' talent. The violence/gore outweighed the humor by far, therefore, shouldn't have been cast as a comedy as it was more like a psychological thriller. Definitely had great comedy potential. UGH. :(
½ April 19, 2016
Seven Psychopaths, one and a half stars. For an "underrated" film, this is massively overrated. Walken is good, sure, but when the plot becomes the realization of Sam Rockwell's character's dream for a screenplay--and he tells you what is going to happen minutes before it actually happens--it becomes total bullshit. I don't need all the canned melodrama either. I had high hopes, but walk away supremely disappointed.
½ April 11, 2016
Clever and witty humor combined with a great cast make Seven Psychopaths a good movie to see almost anytime.
March 17, 2016
Had some amusing moments but I don't think I would watch again.
March 3, 2016
Surprisingly funny, original and very well acted
February 28, 2016
Funny movie, enjoyed it
February 28, 2016
Great freaking film... everyone was excellent... & Sam Rockwell was hilariously stellar in this... Walken, as always, another great performance that only he could deliver.
February 27, 2016
why haven't I seen this yet?
Null
February 25, 2016
Seven Psychopaths is funny, violent and has great characters. There are a lot of people out there who don't understand this film but I honestly think its awesome! It is very non-linear and is very smart in its direction, check it out!