Seven Psychopaths - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Seven Psychopaths Reviews

½ October 27, 2016
Amazing dialogue and characters, an original entertaining story, the directing is great and the performances are incredible.
½ October 22, 2016
3,5/5 Ratings for Seven Psychopath
F: 70%
R: 30%
Crime Comedy Thriller Horror
October 17, 2016
Smartly written and hilariously over-the-top.
October 14, 2016
While it lacks the bite of McDonagh's debut "In Bruges", on it's own terms Seven Psychopaths is a sharp, gruesome and enjoyable romp with a humorous crime set that's more of less as an excuse to pick fun of genre tropes and film making in general.
August 23, 2016
Seven Psychopaths is a fantastic dramedy with entertaining characters, smart social commentary, insane violence and a near-perfect balance of laugh out loud comedy and heartfelt drama about the struggles of being a writer.
August 22, 2016
Bloody, darkly funny, entertaining, and above all well acted. These are the reasons why "seven psychopaths" is one of my all-time favorite movies.
August 17, 2016
Not your typical Hollywood film
August 13, 2016
Disappointed with this. The trailers made it look really good. Barely watchable.
July 25, 2016
It's got some funny jokes, and a great setup, but I found Seven Psychopaths to be a mostly underwhelming endeavor.
½ July 21, 2016
Great movie, great acting and a sublime story.
jamrcla
½ July 20, 2016
A very dark comedy that's funny in places but i'm still deciding if I enjoyed the story or not as it was very different but it felt like it didn't know where to go or what to do next, But because it was random we didn't know what was going to happen next, All the cast were great and it was violent and bloody, Its not going to appeal to everyone but stick in there and you will find that it was all worth it in a weird sort of way.
June 29, 2016
Seven Psychopaths is a dark comedy starring Colin Farrell as Marty, an alcoholic screenwriter trying to work on his latest idea for a film (Seven Psychopaths) while dealing with a struggling relationship and issues with his friend Billy (played by Sam Rockwell).

As soon as this movie begins, we get a taste of McDonagh's witty dialogue and comically dark tone. Two mobsters are debating the plausibility of shooting somebody in the eyeball when the Jack O' Diamonds killer (one of the psychopaths) comes up behind them and shoots both in the head. It had a very Quentin Tarantino feel to it, and the tone stayed fairly consistent in this sense. The movie lost a little bit of steam towards the end of the middle act-beginning of the final act, but I was engaged overall with this movie.

This movie has some really great performances. Sam Rockwell was definitely my favorite part of the movie, and Christopher Walken delivered a very subtle yet memorable character as Rockwell's partner-in-crime with a troubled past. At first, I was really annoyed by Farrell's character, but, as we got to see more of him, he really grew on me. The one character that really didn't work was Woody Harrelson as the antagonist. Due to "creative differences" Mickey Rourke, who was originally cast to play the role, dropped out, so Harrelson had to really jump in and deliver. Unfortunately, you can tell that he came in to this movie late; his performance felt very unnatural.

Overall, Seven Psychopaths is a great bit of fun. At a run-time of under two hours, it's definitely a movie worth watching with a group of friends on movie night. The thematic elements subtly come through to deliver a good message behind the bloody fun. Go check this one out - you won't be disappointed!
½ June 23, 2016
This is a crazy movie. Honestly speaking, I remembered nothing after watching this movie.
½ June 19, 2016
Smartly written, well-acted and unconventionally funny.
June 18, 2016
One of my personal favorites, and probably one of my favorite movies ever. I know it may sound silly. This movie, although it is crazy, silly, and very funny, it has heart. And the ending was beautiful in my opinion. The soundtrack is especially memorable and to this day I'm still listening to some of the songs.
½ June 17, 2016
Been watching crappy movies all along! Finally a good satire-black comedy!
June 17, 2016
Smart and sharp, intricately made, though trips over itself occasionally and suffers abrupt shifts and transitions
June 2, 2016
Great blend of humor, heart, and violence. The cast is killer and play each part perfectly but the real star is the writer and the strange meta way the film plays out.
June 1, 2016
Directing his second feature film, Tony /Oscar winning writer Martin McDonagh takes a clever tongue-in-cheek self-reverential autobiographical approach to Hollywood's inherent foibles in the convoluted yet compellingly constructed caper film, Seven Psychopaths.

A curious movie whose subject could be about any writer trapped at the beginning the creative process, one layer invades another as the imagination process goes into overtime and for the first time in a long time a screenplay is genuinely enticing on its own merit.

Suffering from an extreme case of writers block, alcoholic Irish screenwriter Marty Faranan (Colin Farrell) has only a title for his next script, Seven Psychopaths, but nothing else.

Eager to assist by any means necessary, Marty's part-time actor best friend Billy (Sam Rockwell) places a classified ad calling on former psychopaths volunteer for interview. Disconcertingly one man petting a rabbit shows up (Tom Waits) claiming to be a specialist serial killer of serial killers.

Sparking unusual visions of killers; from an Amish to a Buddist, Marty starts to concoct six more psychopaths to round out his book. But stimulus may be closer than Marty first thought as self-justifying scammer Billy and his bizarre business partner, Hans (Christopher Walken) also qualify.

Snatching the beloved pets of well-off citizens and returning them for reward, the duo pick the wrong victim dog-napping Bonny the Shih Tzu. Belonging to the emotionally inept Charlie (Woody Harrelson), Bonny is the sole living creature that inspires affection from the cold-blooded gangster, exclaimed by her tag that read "Return to Charles Castello or you will f-ing die."

Enraged, Charlie sends out his minons to reclaim Bonny and as crazy mounts, Marty receives more material than he could ever use and now just needs to live to tell the tale.

A cacophony of distorted sub-plots, Seven Psychopaths eloquently states from the get-go its intentions to be as out-there as possible as a brain-teasing talky exploring a writer's inner battle to solve a cinematic jigsaw with 'layers'.

McDonagh assembled a killer cast. Having worked on the broadway production of 'A Behanding in Spokane' with the enigmatic Rockwell and the eccentric Walken, McDonagh adds to the Tarinton-esque mix, bad boy Farrell and the weirdo worthy Harrelson. The actor's delightfully natural chemistry and intense interactions is a work of art in itself.

The Verdict: Vivaciously nonsensical, overtly violent and stunningly acted, I am not sure that the sum of this fiercely non-PC comedy adds up to a grand total of amazing but it will eventually gain cult patina. Sometimes you have to leave your analytical mind and surrender to cinema, at least for once it is on a piece with brains - even if there are a few screws lose.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 16/11/2012
½ May 31, 2016
Very, very entertaining but the plot can get messy at points.