Seven Psychopaths - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Seven Psychopaths Reviews

January 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ December 13, 2016
Colin Farrell, Sam Rockwell and Christopher fucking Walken in the same film? Sold.

Marty is a struggling writer in Hollywood who wants to finish his latest script, as he only has the name so far: "Seven Psychopaths". His friend Billy, a temperamental actor who makes a living by kidnapping dogs with his partner Hans, tries to encourage him finish his script. One day, Hans and Billy kidnap the dog of a violent mob boss, who doesn't take kindly the disappearance of his dog, so begins a wacky adventure that will inspire Marty to finish his script.

While I love the three leads and I've heard good things about this film, I was preoccupied as this falls into what I label 'nonsense films' (the plot is ludicrous, irrelevant and keeps getting crazier as it goes along, the characters are cartoons, comedy that tries too hard, fast pacing, and overconfident direction) and normally I don't like them (I hate "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" and I have mix feelings about "The Big Lebowski", just to mention a few examples) but after seeing it I have to say I was surprised. "Seven Psychopaths" has fantastic acting (each actor understood the type of film they were in), the characters are the cartoonish type that you would expect for a film like this, but they are so over the top and full of charisma (I haven't seen such dumb, over the top but charismatic lead characters since John Goodman in "Big Lebowski"), McDonagh's direction comes up like a mixture of Ruben Fleischer and Tarantino (imagine a Tarantino script with "Zombieland" directing style), the dialog is hilarious (even if it is an attempt to duplicate Tarantino's style), and it is perfectly fast paced.

"Seven Psychopaths" is an over the top film that works thanks to its cast and its Tarantino wannabe script. Highly enjoyable, dumb, meta, over the top, charming, and it doesn't overstay its welcome. One of the few nonsense films I like.
December 5, 2016
A crazy ride of a film that doesn't let go. Plenty of meta humor and interesting characters make this film.
November 11, 2016
Had a cousin who would not shut up about how great this movie was. Therefore, I have gone 4 years trying to avoid watching this movie out of spite... Really sucks because I wanted to see this movie and it looks great.
November 10, 2016
i seriously could not figure out another way how this movie could be better to be hounest ... Seriously ,...
November 9, 2016
Brilliantly hysterical in every way.
½ October 27, 2016
Amazing dialogue and characters, an original entertaining story, the directing is great and the performances are incredible.
½ October 22, 2016
3,5/5 Ratings for Seven Psychopath
F: 70%
R: 30%
Crime Comedy Thriller Horror
October 17, 2016
Smartly written and hilariously over-the-top.
October 14, 2016
While it lacks the bite of McDonagh's debut "In Bruges", on it's own terms Seven Psychopaths is a sharp, gruesome and enjoyable romp with a humorous crime set that's more of less as an excuse to pick fun of genre tropes and film making in general.
August 23, 2016
Seven Psychopaths is a fantastic dramedy with entertaining characters, smart social commentary, insane violence and a near-perfect balance of laugh out loud comedy and heartfelt drama about the struggles of being a writer.
August 22, 2016
Bloody, darkly funny, entertaining, and above all well acted. These are the reasons why "seven psychopaths" is one of my all-time favorite movies.
August 17, 2016
Not your typical Hollywood film
August 13, 2016
Disappointed with this. The trailers made it look really good. Barely watchable.
July 25, 2016
It's got some funny jokes, and a great setup, but I found Seven Psychopaths to be a mostly underwhelming endeavor.
½ July 21, 2016
Great movie, great acting and a sublime story.
jamrcla
½ July 20, 2016
A very dark comedy that's funny in places but i'm still deciding if I enjoyed the story or not as it was very different but it felt like it didn't know where to go or what to do next, But because it was random we didn't know what was going to happen next, All the cast were great and it was violent and bloody, Its not going to appeal to everyone but stick in there and you will find that it was all worth it in a weird sort of way.
June 29, 2016
Seven Psychopaths is a dark comedy starring Colin Farrell as Marty, an alcoholic screenwriter trying to work on his latest idea for a film (Seven Psychopaths) while dealing with a struggling relationship and issues with his friend Billy (played by Sam Rockwell).

As soon as this movie begins, we get a taste of McDonagh's witty dialogue and comically dark tone. Two mobsters are debating the plausibility of shooting somebody in the eyeball when the Jack O' Diamonds killer (one of the psychopaths) comes up behind them and shoots both in the head. It had a very Quentin Tarantino feel to it, and the tone stayed fairly consistent in this sense. The movie lost a little bit of steam towards the end of the middle act-beginning of the final act, but I was engaged overall with this movie.

This movie has some really great performances. Sam Rockwell was definitely my favorite part of the movie, and Christopher Walken delivered a very subtle yet memorable character as Rockwell's partner-in-crime with a troubled past. At first, I was really annoyed by Farrell's character, but, as we got to see more of him, he really grew on me. The one character that really didn't work was Woody Harrelson as the antagonist. Due to "creative differences" Mickey Rourke, who was originally cast to play the role, dropped out, so Harrelson had to really jump in and deliver. Unfortunately, you can tell that he came in to this movie late; his performance felt very unnatural.

Overall, Seven Psychopaths is a great bit of fun. At a run-time of under two hours, it's definitely a movie worth watching with a group of friends on movie night. The thematic elements subtly come through to deliver a good message behind the bloody fun. Go check this one out - you won't be disappointed!
½ June 23, 2016
This is a crazy movie. Honestly speaking, I remembered nothing after watching this movie.
½ June 19, 2016
Smartly written, well-acted and unconventionally funny.