Sex & Fury - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sex & Fury Reviews

April 27, 2016
This is one of the great Japanese exploitation films of the '70s. It is stylistically amazing, but it is also thoroughly ridiculous. Thoroughly and stupidly entertaining.
½ July 28, 2015
The most frustrating films are the ones that squander their potential. I didn't go into the film with high expectations, but the first thirty minutes of the film are surprisingly good. There's fine cinematography, a wonderful lead in Reiko Ike, some entertaining music, a fun premise and a setting rarely seen in film--the tail end of the Meiji period. Not to mention, it's fun seeing a film that so obviously inspired Quentin Tarantino. But in equal measure, every sex scene is non-consensual, the story is nowhere near as interesting as it should be, the script gets really muddy toward the end, the film mentions and then promptly drops Christina Lindberg's inner conflict, and every scene in English is cringe-worthy. (I can give Christina Lindberg a pass for not having great English, but her American counterpart sounds like he is speaking his lines phonetically.) I'd love to see a remake or another film heavily inspired by this without some of the nasty sexual violence. (I suppose you either find a bruised, half-naked woman in chains being whipped against her will arousing or disgusting.)
May 8, 2015
A lot Of Ass Kicking Moments
July 16, 2014
Originally picked this up for the Christina Lindberg connection, but it's a really enjoyable flick overall, both leading ladies are very good in their roles and obviously down for whatever the Exploitation role required.

Great stuff, give it a look!
November 10, 2013
The acting is often poor and the music is comically dated, but Sex & Fury is still an excellent grindhouse revenge film with, at times, stellar cinematography. Tarantino fans will enjoy this Kill Bill source-film.
½ June 30, 2013
A classic Japanese Pink/Expolitation Film.
April 16, 2013
Not even naked sword-fighting lesbians can save this nonsense.
ElCochran90
December 31, 2012
I rewatched it... Oh man, it is incredible how revisiting films can change your perspective after several years. It is STILL senseless, idiotic and mindlessly retard shit, but it is a sexploitation flick with the delicious Reiko Ike. Her name in a film poster or DVD cover attracts fans of the genre. On top of it all, it actually adds a social criticism to the formula! I am not a fan of Pinky Violence films, and perhaps will never be, but their influence is undeniable. Gratuitous sex and nudity, torture, swordplay, samurais, sexual perversions, incest, blood, bruises, sadism, a beautiful ending and the ORIGINAL snow fight scene (that was copied in Kill Bill Vol. 1) can be found in Furyô anego den: Inoshika Ochô aka Sex & Fury. And this is just the first installment...

I don't even give a flying f#ck if "I need a psychologist for enjoying these themes". I LOVE IT!

98/100
½ November 21, 2012
A stock exploitation plot is enlivened with some inspired if gratuitous ideas in this revenge film about a woman hunting down her father's killers. Includes a scene of a bathing woman who must rise out of her bath and defend herself from a gang of killers with her swordsmanship which deserves the status of a classic sword fight scene in this genre. The rest of the movie involves gambling and sex slavery and it pretty routine for that kind of film.
October 24, 2012
I agree it's like an exploitation version of kill bill. The nude fight scenes are like nothing i've seen b4.
October 5, 2012
Sex and Fury is near-perfect pink. It could've benefited from equal parts "fury" and "sex" since there isn't as much action as you might hope for. Sex and Fury is still awesome b-movie sexploitation goodness.
May 8, 2012
This film is ****ing hectic, heaps of mad sex scenes and samurai swords and blood and awesome soundtrack.. Ike Reiko is hot as **** and also has sex with a white girl in this movie.. eshays!
May 7, 2012
I've been dying to see this movie for years, sex, swords and Christina Lindberg! Very Kill Bill-esque.
August 27, 2011
Haven't really ventured into the Pinky Violence genre but Sex & Fury is hailed as one of the best. I can't deny it's power, sensuality & just sheer bad assness of it all. Maybe a little generous in my rating but there are imaging in this flix that will stick w/ me for years to come if not forever. I love gracious nudity & sword play & this would actually make a good double bill w/ The Clan of the Forgotten 8 (that I love). Plus it has the bonus of having the oh so sexy Christina Lindberg in this & fans of her once again get to see her naked. No thatch though. What is it w/ these movies being shy about the hair pie? She's even sexier when she's welding a whip. I really 'stood up' & took notice ;)
April 27, 2011
One of the best Japanese pinky violence movies from the 70's. This movie is unique in so many ways. Reiko Ike is just gorgeous as the heroine Ocho and one will never forget seeing her totally naked fighting off some men with a sword. Then you've got another beauty in Christina Lindberg who acts as a British spy. Blood sprays, body parts fall and the snow is sprinkled with red on more then one occasion. Its pretty obvious this movie was also a heavy influence on Tarantino for Kill Bill. The cinematography is amazing, the fight choreography is well done, the acting is very good, the sets are elaborate, and the plot is tight and well thought out.
½ April 27, 2011
Another obvious 'influence' on 'kill bill'. Really strong start that slowed in the middle and picked up. Typical Samurai film really, except with the nakedness. Some beautiful fight sequences, and excellent use of blood and gore (Kill Bill). Hated the love story though with Lindberg, who i thought was wasted. But our heroine was class, and i recommend to Samurai and Exploitation fans.
Keiko A. --Samurai--
½ October 8, 2010
Sex and Fury was always one of those wider known Japanese exploitation films. We saw Meany of these in the 1970s right up till they really just stoped making them. Though Sex and Fury is the most well known one of them all. Mainly because it heavily inspired films to come like Kill Bill.

The story is about this little girl called Ocho Inoshika. When Ocho sees her father get murdered right before her eyes by a bunch of Yakuza leaders she grows up to be a vengeful spirit. She does nothing else in this life but search for her father?s killers. And that she does, but not without helping a soul or two along the way.

At first when Sex and Fury started out, I thought it was going to be a rehash of the story I had seen before. a very similar story dealing with a little girl who grows up to be a stone cold killer because she had an extremely traumatic childhood experience, I mean the fight sequence goes on for a long time, Of course it does add a level of nudity to the movie because its obviously gratuitous nudity we are seeing here solely for the purpose of titillating the males in the audience. Though Females still take a very big likening to the film.

And as for the violence, well there?s lots of it. Blood sprays body parts fall and the snow is sprinkled with red on more then one occasion. Its pretty freaking obvious this one was also a heavy influence on Tarantino. The whole ending sequence is extremely similar to Oren Ishii and Beatrix Kiddos final fight in Kill Bill Vol. 1. Both in terms of music and shots. It was crazy but I was having flashbacks.

The only thing that hinders this film a bit is the acting from Christina Lindberg an American actress that appears in this film playing an English spy. But as for the acting with the other cast member I have to put it as very solidly done. They really known how to play there parts.

So I have to put Sex and fury as one of those great movies were a female is standing up to the people she hates and will kill them in an act of revenge.

Keiko?s Score 79-100
½ July 9, 2010
This is a bizarre and entertaining flick. It isnâ??t that violent, compared to Reservoir Dogs or Kill Bill and it doesnâ??t appal like The Deer Hunter. It isnâ??t particularly sensuous but there is sex and nudity. It is weird. One of the funniest elements is the music and the way it obliquely contributes to the film. Lots of fun and worth watching for the oddness of it all.
½ June 24, 2010
Amazing film! Pinky violence at its best. Plus Christina Lindberg AND Reiko Ike....oooohhhh yea!