Sex Is Comedy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sex Is Comedy Reviews

July 4, 2014
And oh , sex isn't comedy , idiots
June 30, 2013
This was a pleasant surprise. I have found many of Mdme Breillat's films tough going and have often failed to understand her purpose. This, however, was a fascinating study of the process of making a film that kept me entranced. The acting was excellent and the story may be her most accessible. From what I've read, it is somewhat autobiographical. But, as a study in the process, it ought to be required viewing in a film studies curriculum.
June 5, 2013
Catherine Breillat seems to have a ton to say in certain films (like, "Fat Girl," which this one plays off of and "The Sleeping Beauty")... but then can't come up with much of anything in others (like "Bluebeard"). There are some good scenes, but this one doesn't work...
May 20, 2013
Fun character study of the perfectionist director.
hunterjt13
½ May 25, 2012
A director cajoles, threatens, berates, and befriends her actors in order to get them to perform the perfect sex scene.
The shooting of a sex scene has always been a curiosity for me. To put something so personal and private on screen in front of everyone from one's fellow actors to the Teamsters rep to the gum-chewing, fanny-pack-wearing, high school dropout key grip speaks to what levels of courage actors must have to do such a job. But this film doesn't focus on the actors' journeys but the director's various tactics to get them to do the scene. I can see how this concept might make a good film, but not with this director. Jeanne is a myopic, self-centered bitch, and her little manipulations are thoroughly uninteresting. What is more, I had trouble seeing the real conflict in the film. It's true that the Actor was resisting Jeanne's appeals, but I didn't see any real rebellion like the clear refusal of Sarah Jessica Parker's character in State and Main. The actors in Sex is Comedy seem willing and professional even though they are naturally uncomfortable.
Overall, despite its title, Sex is Comedy isn't funny or particularly insightful, and its focus is on the least interesting and least appealing character in the film.
November 5, 2011
probably overrating this. but anne parillaud is pretty attractive. along with roxane mesquida.
½ May 11, 2011
a bit too meta, and too much non-scripted dialogue and directorial time-outs. if every scene took this long to film, the whole film/tv industry would've gone kaput.
May 9, 2011
unfortunately, the tedious filming process was simplified without being effective. the "director" Parillaud wasn't convincing at all. she looked like she was goofing and laughing all the time. the last scene was good though. but that's all! quite a waste of time.
April 24, 2011
Sex is Comedy is consistently funny, equal parts lolsex and lolmovies. Jeanne just wants the actors to do their job: is that such a difficult thing to ask? I understand this is rather lighter than Breillat's more usual fare ... my interest was mostly piqued by Gregoire Colin. But I'd like to see how she explores the film's themes in her other works.
April 21, 2011
Not a comedy as such, but a interesting story and indeed study, of a writer/director, trying to get a scene she imagined right. the scene in question, a romantic scene between two people. but as we join the crew on this story all is not well, the director feels the two leads cast just dont have it, problems possibly personal, with male lead especially making some way into things. we watch as the set is left to stand around as filming stalls, and, retooling scene begins. its quite fasinating to watch at times, especially when nudity is brought into question, and actors doubts. the film deals well with behind the scenes going ons, its ups and downs. the leads all superb, bringing each their own. and film although stopping and starting due to the concept of a scene trying to get right, runs nicely. a interesting watch.
February 12, 2011
Excruciatingly painful to watch this movie
May 2, 2010
magic breillat and magic anne parillaud.
April 29, 2010
sex is serious bussiness ._.
March 1, 2010
A movie about making movies, heavily infused with Breillat's own vision and philosophy, this is some sidenote to her own "A ma soeur" While there are some strong scenes, this is Breillat's weakest movie yet.
February 10, 2010
Breillat's film is strictly for directors, actors, serious filmmakers, or die hard film fanatics in my opinion. If you've ever made a film or worked on one this movie is absolutely remarkable and hilarious. It follows a proto-reality of the making of 'Fat Girl', specifically chronicling the arduous task of getting young actors to help Breillat's alter ego make her film. As directors we have to play mother, father, lover, brother; we're master manipulators. The beauty of it is there is no loss of integrity since actors demand that manipulation from us: it's the fuel for their fire. 'Sex is Comedy' is brilliantly astute about the psychology of the director.
January 25, 2010
Catherine Breillat's confession which said to be inspired by her own experiences shooting a sex scene in her previous feature [A Ma Soeur] ([Fat Girl]). Too trivial, flat & plain.
January 3, 2010
I can't imagine seeing this without seeing Fat Girl first, but it's extraordinary no matter how you slice it. Breillat is amazing.
½ September 13, 2009
"Sex Is Comedy" differs from Breillat's other works by being a comedy, and an ultimately joyful one at that. There is a very strong sense of self directed irony here, but the core of the film is still serious, adressing the complexity of a creative process that is dependant on countless of uncontrollable factors. And yeah, the flick did make me laugh a few times.

It's still very clear that Breillat hasn't used all of the potential she has had in her hands with such a subject. The story is somehow cautios- surprisingly so from such a daring director- and at times it all feels a bit too talky and banal. Yup, Breillat's tendency to state the obvious is thriving here, but fortunately so is her ability to analyze her characters in a raw, mercilessly beautiful way.
August 23, 2009