Sex Is Comedy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sex Is Comedy Reviews

March 31, 2009
Watch this in big screen.
February 15, 2009
Just as provocative as her other films, but very specifically geared to actors, directors, film enthusiasts. Not sure it's for everyone - then again, that's true of any of her films. Whatever it is she's tapped into, I'm buyin' it.
January 7, 2009
A movie about making a movie. The director in the film tries everything from cajoling to befriending to get a sex scene correctly played in her film. The last scene of this movie is the filming of that sex scene in the movie. I gotta say, it looks like they got it done right.

But this movie seemed to take too long. I'm sure they could have achieved the same reaction from her audience in a movie half as long as it was.
½ October 21, 2008
of course its comedy
shesdownbytheriver
October 17, 2008
No thankyou - Not interested
½ October 16, 2008
Didn't find the movie funny but rather a semi real representation of the struggles of filmmaking. The story is lost by the end but it is shot well.
August 8, 2008
Another film by Breillat with an interesting premise that ultimately felt a little flat. The extreme talkiness felt very tedious to me and as a producer many aspects of this on-screen production frustrated me to no end... but to the film's credit, it also had a few very compelling moments.
½ August 1, 2008
Could've been interesting, but is actually pretty boring. The characters aren't developed enough.
½ June 23, 2008
Occasionally funny, but overall disappointing and dull.
June 19, 2008
wwwwooooooooooooooowwwww
IT'S AMAZING...
I LOVE IT..
MO.
½ June 10, 2008
An intimate examination of the director-actor relationship. Catherine Breillat's usual pretensions are better served by satire, but still, some of the philosophical discussions to get pretty tedious. There are several powerful moments, especially in the last half hour or so. Excellent performance from Anne Parillaud.
June 5, 2008
Not interested in seeing this.
June 3, 2008
to be fully appreciated, this masterpiece has got to be seen alongside A Ma Soeur
May 29, 2008
Just glad that i am not the director of the film within this film. It gives us insights into the difficulties of directing, managing people and it is not comic at all. Also, the script is too pretentious for my liking that draws us further from a real scenario of behind-the-scenes. Nevertheless, entertaining.
May 28, 2008
What a strange little film...but the impact of the final scenes are what made me give this a three and a half star review. The interplay between director and actor was very odd for most of the movie...enough so that I had to keep flipping between the movie and a different show. Additionally, it made me despise all the "artsy" people in the world. Wait...I'm going to change this to 3 stars.

I give this review one star. Crap.
½ May 28, 2008
I don't know what to say about this movie. It makes no sence. I have watched two times and still dont understand what it is about. I was lost. Looks like the movie is about a film trying to do a sex scene. Okay. Hmmmmm..... I don't know.
½ May 22, 2008
From the perspective of a screenwriter, I really liked this film and its take on the struggle to perfect a single, yet crucial scene. Not for everyone, I'm sure. But I do recommend this film to anyone that loves the film-making process.
½ May 16, 2008
Based on her experiences of shooting sex scenes in earlier movies, this is probably more of interest to film-makers, and is lacking in comedy.
May 13, 2008
Not a must see or anything, but worth a look if you're intersted in seeing how trying behind the scenes of a film shoot can be.
½ May 9, 2008
It certainly intrigued me into the whole behind the scenes part of filmmaking. But, the major problem I had with it was, there's no way that a set like that can be 1) so damn quiet and reliant on just the director and 2) it seemed like the director spent way too much time on herself and thinking about the scene.(dont you do that at home, when you need that private time?) Other than that, I thought the acting was good, the story was so-so. I'm amazed how they made a 90 minute movie revolving around the shooting of just one damn scene. lol But it was entertaining at least. The end was a bit dissapointing, but I guess there was no better way of showing her satisfaction with the completion of the scene. I quite liked the French dialogue with english subtitles of course. Apparently alot of people are turned off when watching foreign films..which i love to do.