Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band Reviews

September 6, 2010
What a corny, cheesy, stupid movie! How could they make a Beatles movie without the Beatles, where they make a silly story to go along with their famous songs? And to cast the Bee-Gees as the main characters? What? This movie is interesting to see, but it's pretty bad, so don't expect much. The best parts are the songs from Aerosmith and Alice Cooper.
February 17, 2010
Wow. Just... wow. This film is the rock n' roll equivalent of burning an American flag. It's the equivalent of farting at a wedding. It is the equivalent of making out during Schindler's List. I'm not going to talk about the plot (there isn't one). I'm not going to list the characters (there aren't any). I'm just going to tear this movie apart. Not that it's going to be difficult.

I have to start by letting you know what the producers thought this film was going to be. They considered this as the Gone with the Wind of the '70's generation. I shit you not. They were obviously on good drugs in 1977-78 because I wouldn't even call this film Break Like The Wind.

We have to begin with the leads. You have Peter Frampton, who put out some live album and then was never really heard from again. He's like Warren Zevon except Zevon had TALENT! So we get Frampton butchering Beatle tunes. But that's not all. That's not the worst of it. Guess who else gets to shit on the moniker of Lennon/McCartney. That's right, the Bee Gees. The Brothers Gibb weren't satisfied with destroying most of late '70's popular music, they had to wreck most of the '60's, too.

But that's not all. It's actually down hill from this point with each musical interlude more cringeworthy than the next. Donald Pleasence singing I Want You (She's So Heavy). No, it gets worse. How about Steve Martin puking up Maxwell's Silver Hammer? No, it gets worse. Alice Cooper doing Because. It keeps getting worse and worse until you just can't take it. You have to exit the room and defecate because it's one piece of shit after another.

Sgt. Pepper also jumps on the Star Wars band wagon. There's an odd little duel with hammers that light up and glow like- yes, you guessed it- lightsabers. And Mr. Mustard has to C3PO's with boobs
massaging him throughout the film. Oh, and apparently Billy Preston can raise the dead (and change your clothes).

Films like this are usually horrible, especially when the songs are taken out of the context that they were meant to be. Across the Universe is another such crapfest that features people who shouldn't be singing Beatle songs. Listen, if I wanted to hear people sing Beatles tunes badly around a gazebo I would take my iPod to the park. Such a horrible, horrible film using the music of the Beatles, particularly the Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Road albums is like eating and egg salad sandwich from a gas station- it looks good in the plastic but it consumes worth shit.

The minute John Lennon died his first act was rolling over because of the stench this film has left on society. You may be wondering why if this film is so bad am I giving it one star. Well, not to be a plot spoiler, but the villains spouting off against love and promoting money is the '70's coked up Aerosmith. They're called some kind of villain band and actually do a good coked up rendition of Come Together that still gets a little airplay. As I sat there I realized that this film is really a choice: you can be bad and go with Aerosmith or be good and hang out with George Burns and the Bee Gees. So it looks like I'm going to hell.
½ June 9, 2007
Robert Stigwood created a tribute to the Beatles by plotting a fantasy adventure movie around the various song lyrics of their later albums. Sung and acted by The Bee-Gees and Peter Frampton, plus fun cameos from 70's performers Alice Cooper, Aerosmith, Earth Wind and Fire, Steve Martin, George Burns and Donald Pleasance. Many of the musical arrangements and vocals seemed way different from the original tunes. And like a square peg crammed into a round hole, the lyrics were sometimes stretched for what's occurring in the story. It's often incredibly cheesy and overbearing, but I think of it as a curiosity of the late-70's rock-disco culture and a celebration of the Beatles melodies and lyrics.
May 21, 2007
Bad, bad, bad. What more can I say? A waste of time. money and talent. I'm so sorry that John and George lived long enough to see this. Only shining light was George Burns.
Cameron W. Johnson
June 25, 2013
"Gotta keep on rockin', that boy has got to stay on top, and be in a jukebox musical (He's got stars in his eyes)!" I've got plenty of Beatles songs to reference, yet I figured I'd reference Foreigner because I wanted you to get a good idea of how cornball this film is when it's at its coolest, and plus, may faith in Beatles music has been momentarily shaken by this film. Yeah, about the only cool thing about this film is Aerosmith's cover of "Walk This Way"-I mean, "Dude Looks Like a Lady"-I mean, "Love in an Elevator"-I mean, "Come Together". Yeah, I'm not saying that certain Aerosmith songs run together, but even their covers sounds like more than a few of their own "original" hits, though, in all fairness, "Come Together" seems like a song that could well-Aerosmithed up, and it just had to be intentionally selected, seeing as how it is, like, well, more than a few other songs on this film's soundtrack, not even on the "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" album, or at least I don't think it is, seeing as how plenty of the Beatles' songs also ran together. No, people, I'm kidding, because once the Beatles started to stray away from their pop-rock roots and, well, got much better (Man, mainstream music even watered down the full potential of guys whose pop image, alone, broke ground in the making of cool music), they took plenty of diverse steps, though at least kept consistent in producing songs that could easily be made cheesy, as this film and, of course, plenty of others who paid tribute to the Beatles around this era will tell you. Hey, War's cover of "A Day in the Life" is amazing and all, but that horn section mimicry of the Oriental riff that followed Eric Burdon's proclaiming that the "[u]Chinese[/u] army had just won the war" is by no means the only moment in which that eleven-minute long, psychedelic soul/jazzy funk rock epic got kind of carried away. Well, at least Burdon was cheesy in a cool, though that's not to say that he could save this film from cheesiness, and yet, as corny as this film is, Aerosmith isn't it's only commendable aspect.

Costing an estimated $18 million, the film was disappointed to find that it barely grossed past its budget, seeing as how it wasn't the priciest of films with status this high, which isn't to say that this film didn't spend what money it had well, for although the production value of this effort isn't glowing, if nothing else about this messy final product can be complimented as consistent strengths, it is Brian Eatwell's production designs and May Routh's costume designs, which colorfully spring this admittedly flashy world to life with a flare that ranges from nifty to genuinely rather dazzling. When it comes to visuals, I find difficulty in denying that this film delivers, because no matter how messy the substance is, style is reasonably sharp in some parts, and that livens things up a bit, though not as much as a certain major aspect in this film that has been complimented and criticized time and again: the soundtrack. A star-studded jukebox musical that celebrates many a classic by the Beatles, this film is driven by its soundtrack, which is not only a questionable key aspect to storytelling, but filled with fall-flat interpretations of Beatles songs that emphasize the original versions' undeniable cheesiness through sometimes embarrassing overstylizing, thus making for a soundtrack that hardly consistently works, but still manages to work just enough to turn in plenty of entertaining tunes that do a decent job of capturing their source materials' colorfulness in a typically unique fashion that is bound to keep you from falling out of the mess entirely. There is a weak musical number for every decent, if not genuinely good one (In all seriousness, Areosmith's "Come Together" is "the" highlight, and they're ironically presented in the film as definitive opponents of decency), but seeing as how this film is so driven by its musical aspects, the high points in the soundtrack do about as much as anything in saving the film, if not providing a small taste of what could have been: decency, but not much more than that. Yeah, there's not much to this film, and that really emphasizes what is so very wrong with this misguided project, and yet, at the same time, what strengths there are also go emphasized by the film's not being so demanding, supplementing a mild degree of entertainment value that is itself complimentary to a certain degree of charm, spawned from ambition that is hard to miss. Needless to say, while it isn't all that demanding, the ambition behind this film goes seriously unfulfilled by glaring flaws, of which there are many, though not so many that I found it hard to see the strengths that are in limited supply, but no less present as somewhat lively notes that guide the final product's narrow escape from contempt. Still, while the film goes saved by what handful of things it does reasonably well, it comes close to collapsing into disdain, which is ultimately kept at bay, yet made much too visible to battle back mediocrity, reinforced by an abundance of flaws, some of which can even be found within the musical aspects.

Again, there are highlights in the soundtrack, and they do a lot in almost saving the final product, but in so many ways, the music works to this musical's detriment, not just because plenty of numbers are weak, but because the musical storytelling aspects of this film hardly work, partially because the leaps between the unevenly used spoken word narration type of storytelling - powered by George Burns - and most prominent musical storytelling prove be about as jarring as the occasional considerable tonal shift that comes with sudden changes in certain songs of distinct types, and largely because the tight flow of musical narrative keeps you from meditating upon the progression of the "story", which is kind of ironic, seeing as how when this film is careful to not sum up too much with the musical number, it ends up having the music blandly meander along one sequence, sometimes dully. Like I said, there are entertaining spells that go anchored by the musicality, but there are dull spots which are also anchored by the musicality, or at least misusage of the musicality in the context of the telling of what story there is, which isn't to say that the performers in this film do more than just turn in both overbearing musical numbers and, well, some unconvincing attempts at lip-syncing. There's certainly not a whole for our performers to work with, so it's not like there are a whole lot of weak notes within the cast, some of whose members charm enough to earn a bit of your appreciation, but when the acting faults, there's no missing it, because we're talking about a cast that is mostly comprised of musicians with little, if any acting background who were crammed in simply because of the magnitude of their name, whose respectability is kind of shaken by unconvincing, if not cheesy physical acting that ranges from disconcerting to near-frustrating. Again, the occasional charming performer earns your attention, but on the whole, the mediocrity, if not incompetence of the acting hurts the effectiveness of this film's substance, which was, of course, never to be too rich, because what we have here is a paper-thin, overwhelmingly fluffy story concept that has little going for it, and would be easier to swallow if it wasn't so bland and uncompelling, even when it comes to the concept, whose execution into an aimless, unfocused narrative gets to be monotonous something fierce. Clocking in at just shy of two hours, this mindlessly directionless mess of a film outstays its welcome, being not so frustratingly overblown that it earns disdain, but certainly too long to have so much fluff, which makes things all the more irritating by getting mighty carried away time and again. Not simply paper-thin, this film's story is all-out dumb, and sure, the deliberateness of this "plot's" stupidity is obvious and could have added to the charming entertainment value, but ends up being much too milked by over-the-top cheesiness that results in lame jokes, painfully overbearing themes and embarrassing set piece, after embarrassing set piece, until the film ends up drowned in corniness whose liveliness can't even be consistently soaked up through the blandness. Sure, when the film doesn't have its entertaining moments, it's simply too bland to be bad, and such a formula, while kind of aggravating, saves the final product from contempt, but make no mistake, this film is an overblown, unfocused, cheesy and all around misguided mess that falls every bit as short of likability as it falls short of disdain, directly into mediocrity, at the absolute best.

When the day in a life is done, sharp production value, high points in the musical numbers and entertaining moments compliment the undeniable degree of charm within ambition that save the film from a collapse into contempt, but cannot dilute the sting of the unevenness, meandering spells and weakness within many a musical number, questionable occasions in acting, conceptually bland and aimlessly told "story", and overwhelming cheesiness that make Michael Schultz's "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" a messily misguided borderline disaster that could be worse, but is still much too sloppy to be genuinely likable.

2/5 - Weak
merlynsprankling
½ November 13, 2007
Their music is universal.
whosinthenews
½ August 14, 2009
Oh god. This sure did ruin a lot of careers. Luckily the actual Beatles were smart (or dead) enough to avoid this monstrosity. Still though, it's better than Magical Mystery Tour. Oh well.
February 26, 2016
A kids movie mistakenly thot to be for adults.
If this had been hosted by The Muppets and the Jim Henson team, this would have been a sensation for young and old alike.
As is, it's an imaginative fantasy kiddie movie sans Muppets with little bits of humor - directionless nonsense, but not without flash and psychedelia.
I did like the quirky-cool robots.
It really needs some Miss Piggy to make it hilarious, and Gonzo with his harem of chickens to make it interesting.
½ December 27, 2012
I am speechless at how bad this was. This is an insult to the Beatles and Paul McCartney point blank refused to be in this film for a very good reason.
December 21, 2012
Even worse than I remembered. Saving graces: Steve Martin as "Maxell" (of the silver hammer) and a shockingly-young Aerosmith as the bad guys. Billy Preston's okay too. Otherwise, a textbook case against rock musicals, Beatles remakes, and mainstream seventies culture in general. I loved it when I was 10, maybe because I had never heard most of the Beatles' songs before.
½ March 11, 2012
Sometimes movies that are completely "fluff" are fun to watch, but there really is nothing appealing about "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band." While providing the interesting opportunity to listen to some of the biggest stars from the 70's singing the Beatles hits that we love, it is hard to look past the fact that it is inherently stupid. I don't think that I could ever view this as a "serious" movie because the plot is just so terrible (and often non-existent), but it is hard to even enjoy it as a fun, mindless experience because the songs (which provide the only dialogue) don't even effectively tell the story. "Across the Universe" is everything that this film aspired to be, providing an interesting plot that is perfectly conveyed through the music of the Beatles AND dialogue. Imagine my chagrin when I discovered that there are not any Beatles in this film... It was worth watching one short segment to catch a look of a very young Aerosmith, but not worth watching the whole film to get to this segment. I'm sure that this film was quite a sight to see when it came out, featuring more musical stars than has been feasible in any other film; unfortunately, watching it 30+ years later, I don't recognize most of the celebrities and it loses that magical aspect.. It is unfortunate how many of the songs are ruined (particularly Maxwell's Siver Hammer as sung by Steve Martin) through this film and I wish that I could take back that 2 hours of my life. Adults who grew up in the 60's and the 70's with these music celebrities will enjoy the nostalgia but outside of that, I can't see anybody enjoying this.
½ September 17, 2011
One of the WORST movies I have EVER seen. I hate this film greatly. If I could, I would give this film a PERFECT ZERO. Don't watch this BS
½ September 14, 2011
This is awful. The Bee Gees and Peter Frampton team up to see who can make the worst cover of a Beatles' song. Aerosmith has a great cover of Come Together, which along with Steve Martin as Maxwell Edison, are the ONLY highlights. George Burns singing is disturbing. The film's plot is weak, and its barely watchable.
½ July 10, 2010
Sure the movie isn't good, I would go so far as to say bad, but I love the music in it. The Bee Gees and Peter Frampton are a perfect pairing and icons of the era, for what they did with the music they did exceptionally well and if you watch it as a giant 70's music video of Beatles covers with story in-between you'll like it all the more.
½ July 6, 2010
I really tried to like this movie; I tried to be interested in Billy Shears' and Strawberry Fields' love plot, the fight with Aerosmith, and Mean Mr. Mustard, but this is just boring as hell. If it weren't for me excercising while watching this, I'd probably fall asleep.

The plot sounds like something only Lennon would come up with on LSD, and even then he'd probably deplore this movie. You can argue that it doesn't take itself seriously, which is all fine and dandy as long as they actually give a shit about what they're doing. A Hard Day's Night doesn't take itself seriously, but it least The Batles CARED about what they were doing. You can see Peter Frampton, The Bee Gees, and all the others don't honestly care about the film they're in. The only really entertaining part was when the Sgt. Pepper statue turned into Billy Preston, and that's just because of it's arbitrarinous.

ALL the covers in this movie, minus Earth, Wind, and Fire's, and Aerosmith's covers and anything Strawberry sings, SUCK! Because is reduced to reading, Maxwell's Silver Hammer is filled with hammy singing, I Wat You is filled with both incorrect harmonies and emotionless singing, With A Little Help From My Friends is god-awful, don't get me started on Fixin' A Hole, and Mean Mr. Mustard... ugggggggh. Oh, and Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight was good.

Those're the only good things about this: random Billy Preston, and the Earth, Wind, and Fire and Aerosmith covers. Don't watch this shit.
May 29, 2008
Highly entertaining musical starring Peter Frampton & the The Beegees singing Beatles songs. The hints of dark humor & psychedelicness are great. The 'I Want you (She's so heavy)' scene is the best. Barry Gibb gave a great rendition of 'A Day in the Life' as well.
June 8, 2010
This was on HBO early this morning: even though it probably "sucked" in 1978, I enjoyed it, couldn't take my eyes off of it, and am interested in seeing it again.

I find it next to impossible to "judge" comedies . . . they either are good and funny and interesting and earn A 100% OR THEY REALLY STINK And score a 20 or 30.

George Burns is Mr. Kite and it was SURREAL seeing AEROSMITH performing with THE BEE GEES.

EARTH, WIND, AND FIRE'S in it; ALICE COOPER'S in it; PETER FRAMPTON is in it.

Yes, I would like to see this movie again and I enjoyed it: criteria earning it a one hundred percent fresh rating.
½ May 28, 2010
I give this movie a big fat "W" for like weird man. I felt I almost had to be on an acid trip just to watch it"
½ April 16, 2010
I just sat through the entire movie... It was painful. This film is aweful beyond human comprehension. A thin story, terrible arrangements and performances of these excellent songs, rediculous acting, and the over all cheesiness of the movie adds up to a total waste of your time.