Shackleton - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shackleton Reviews

½ February 8, 2016
A long epic about a legendary story. Truly for history buffs and armchair adventurers, this may be a challenging viewing for the typical Hollywood audience. More of a PBS Masterpiece Theater feature, I would not recommend entertaining this as an adventure film. Very well acted, by a great actor playing the protagonist.
½ November 14, 2015
Very good story based closely on the real story of Shackleton's expedition. The mindset of these men in the face of terrific deprivation is illuminating and v much worth seeing.
November 11, 2015
This is a fantastic epic adventure and an extremely well directed, acted, and cast motion picture. Very accurate historically. The scenery is incredible. Excellent.
½ November 30, 2013
The centenary of Shackleton's journey is 2014. Dramatic ice scapes and the HMS Endurance scenes were superb but the continuity / editing for the on-ice scenes was bizarre and disjointed. The documentary about the making highlighted the problems in Greenland getting enough time on the ice and perhaps that explains it. Incidentally the photographer was Frank Hurley played by Matt Day not Frank Day as the RT blurb has it.
April 15, 2013
Bob laughed when I cried about them shooting the dogs & cat. He said, "It's just a movie." But it wasn't. That really happened!

What a shame all those guy got sent to the WWI front when they got home. Seems like they should have been exempt after what they went through!
½ February 28, 2013
Excellent film covering Shackleton's heroic failure.
January 23, 2013
Amazing story, amazingly filmed! Incredibly true to the photographs from the actual expedition.
½ June 19, 2012
A very strong effort. The scenery and music are sublime, while the direction provides for some very powerful moments.
½ January 23, 2011
If you love bios or docudramas the way I do, you'll enjoy this one. A really great historical story with in-depth character and historical details that might bore some, but I found fascinating. This film takes it's time in telling the story so that you fully understand the character, and the obstacles he faced to accomplish his expedition. Wonderful A&E mini-series.
March 14, 2010
Another movie based on a true story. This one happened at the same time as WWI. If you like long movies and movies based on true stories you will love this one too.
February 27, 2010
Really very good indeed. Theres a lot of humour in it and theyve got the atmosphere perfect....the only criticism I have about it is that there could have been a more varied soundtrack with classical pieces from various composers (like Master and Commander did) but sadly thats not here at all...but all is not lost what they have put in is some songs sung by the crew which are very nice...if youre a fan of a film like Master and Commander I strongly recommend you seeing this one.
½ February 25, 2010
I don't usually like biographical films with known actors playing the actual person, but in this case, I was taken to Antarctica. Not only was the acting spectacular, but the story was engrossing.
½ November 28, 2009
I normally love movies based on true stories but this one was too long and boring. There was only about an hour of this movie that I found interesting (once they were stuck on the ice). Watching them kill their animals upset me, too!
August 23, 2009
I own this DVD and it is a great survial story. It is three DVD's long. First one is the back story, second is the expedition and the third is a behind the scenes look at the filming of the movie. I had to own this because of my passion to circumnavigate Antartica on a cruise someday. That is my dream trip (bucket list) must do before I die. I know that I will get there and experience it, still looking for someone willing to go with me. Not any takers thus far. So in the meantime, I can get my scenic fix by watching this movie.
February 22, 2009
Great motivational movie!
January 24, 2009
The movie was riveting, great story. I loved the period piece and art department, although it took some shortcuts with using video which didn't quite capture the rich colors and textures of it all. Also skimped on effects like the storms, cold freezing temperatures and locations. But hey, it's just a low-budget movie!
November 14, 2008
A fantastic film of Shackleton's Trans-Antarctic Expedition. Sadly Shackleton considered himself a failure as he never managed to cross Antartica, but remarkably he made an even more epic journey, battling against the odds to save every man on the expedition. A true British hero.
½ November 9, 2008
True story of Sir Ernest Shackleton and the 1914 Endurance Expidetion where Shackleton and his 28 men where trapped in Antartaca for 15 months. Despite the ice, cold, low supplies, low morale Shackleton managed to bring every man back alive. An excellent story of Adventure and survival in one of the most hostile enviroments on the planet. Excellent cinematography and a brilliant score. Kenneth Branagh plays Shackleton brilliantly. A little long at times but still defenitly a must see.
October 6, 2008
They shot the cat and ate the dogs. I was not happy about that. I should have guessed that would happen. The movie itself was okay.
August 27, 2008