Shades of Ray - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

July 11, 2014
Very touching film
Great directing
September 9, 2013
The protagonist's trajectory resembles that of a pinball.
Ray grew up in New Jersey, but moves away to Los
Angeles.
Ray is engaged to Noel, and asks her to marry her. She delays giving him an answer until after she comes back from a vacation with her parents.
Ray's father moves in with him, and soon talks him into having dinner with Sana and her parents. Noel calls him and says yes.
Ray continues seeing Sana. Oi. Ray's mother comes out. Noel comes by when Ray is working at the bar, and the parents are both at Ray's house. Sana stops by the bar and tries to seduce Ray in the men's room.
What could possibly go wrong, and could it be fixed?

Cinematography: 7/10 Usually competent, but often just barely.

Sound: 8/10 Occasionally badly miked.

Acting: 6/10 Good except for Fran Kranz. The other actors counterbalance his badness, but he's still obnoxious.

Screenplay: 7/10 Moves along logically, except for the intervals that contain Fran Kranz.
½ March 19, 2013
Good light hearted fun movie
½ January 16, 2013
Loved it :) a quick, simple, warm story about what we think we want, our differences and our shared interests and how they bring us together...
September 24, 2012
Unwatchable. Well, we tried. But 45 minutes was enough.
September 22, 2012
I always love Zachary Levi!!! Whatever role he is playing...:D
May 24, 2012
really enjoyed it. another Zachary Levi classic!
½ May 13, 2012
Honestly Zachary Levi once again plays a lovable character in Ray Rehman in 'Shades of Ray' and earns a 4.5 star rating.
March 6, 2012
Nice performance from Zachary Levi. The film could have been better though.
January 18, 2012
loved it, so cute!!! and Zach Levi was hot!
December 31, 2011
Had some really funny dialogue and situations but the story overall was severely lacking.
December 5, 2011
I love the adorable Zach Levi! Great movie. Had me laughing most moments, and feeling really involved in the character's lives by the end.
August 17, 2011
This is a solid film with a soid story and cast to pull it off. Zachary Levi has nailed the 'every-man' quality, which can only help him as an actor. Sarah Shahi is quite charming in her role, and the rest of the cast provides some great comedy relief. The editing is a little shakey, but I definitely recommend this little film.
½ July 31, 2011
I just love the theme of the flick. Sarah Shahi is so hot makes me wanna get a half Paki mud blood as a bride.
½ July 20, 2011
Actually a funny movie. The whole culture things it's pretty funny.
June 20, 2011
It's Chuck playing a 1/2 white- 1/2 Pakistani guy who is conflicted on liking a "brown" girl who's mixed like him... Time killer movie
June 13, 2011
A surprisingly sweet movie that explores on the issue of multiracial relationships and children.
May 4, 2011
A smart, funny cross-cultural comedy. Zachary Levi is enjoyable to watch in the role of a 1/2 Pakistani and 1/2 Caucasian character.
April 9, 2011
A romantic comedy about an American with a Pakistani father and his struggles with dating white women and trying to fit in. Good movie, the characters get a little irritating at times, and are somewhat believable, but I do think this movie addresses the issue of race and ethnicity well, in that it shows how despite the world being supposedly past racial issues there are still big hurdles that romantic partners of different backgrounds go through. Also its lite and has some comedy too.
½ March 21, 2011
Loved this movie and Zach Levi!!