Shades of Ray - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shades of Ray Reviews

February 20, 2011
People should always date someone who is not their race.
½ February 3, 2011
Usual Rom Com fare but a very enjoyable movie to watch. The acting was good. Kathy Baker does a great job as usual and in my mind does better than the material she had to work with. As usual some choices were a bit puzzling. The method by which the new love interest let's the main character know she is interested borders on disturbing as to its location considering the way her charater was developed in prior scenes (even given the alcohol "boundary" lowering). After seeing several movies of this genre recently I begin to wonder if some mature female consultants wouldn't be helpful to sell the reality of how women behave. The men behave in rather socially real ways if not above par; however, the women take detours into slutville. It seems the normal pace is sweet / slut / sweet.

Last thought - Main character loves one type of woman but then falls for a completely different type all without any seeming change in him. The movie touches on the change but never really sells it for my taste.
February 2, 2011
Sweet story, pleasant twist on standard romcom with the pakistani/American cultural plot.
January 3, 2011
I love the adorable Zach Levi! Great movie. Had me laughing most moments, and feeling really involved in the character's lives by the end.
½ December 29, 2010
Really interesting movie. Does a very good job in displaying the conflicts of those in the super-minority. Humor definitely lightens this movie quite a bit. Very much worth watching
December 28, 2010
I always love Zachary Levi!!! Whatever role he is playing...:D
½ December 26, 2010
Loved seeing Zach in a more dramatic setting.
December 1, 2010
SO good! We were scanning Netflix for something cute to watch. If you like the show Chuck, the movie outsourced and really just any cute romantic comedy this is kinda a must see. Trust me you won't be disappointed. Very cute :D
½ December 1, 2010
Nicely off beat romcom based around a mixed-race guy trying to placate his Pakistani father while committing the social sin of proposing to a white girl, and the culture clash that ensues. Not particularly deep, more of a snippet of life really, but an interesting, humourous one. The lead is played by a fellow named Zachary Levi and he can only really be described as God's gift to women.
½ November 27, 2010
Comedy was decent, and the story was very much something different and refreshing...but I obviously had a hard time relating/identifying with characters. I thought it was pretty good though.
½ August 6, 2010
I LOVE Zachary Levi in this. The movie was super fantastic mostly because of him. xD But I still liked it because it had good themes and such. And the acting was good in general, I was very sucked into it.
July 21, 2010
I Fu**** love it ... How emotional , hilarious , funny , drama , story and how ended up FREAKING LOVE IT
June 12, 2010
Petty good indie movie about mixed Pakistani/American families - of which I happen to know one of. Zach Levi is shaping up to be one of my more favorite actors and was fun to watch, but the casting is a bit of a stretch as him with a spray tan trying to pass for Pakistani doesn't really work. Neither does Sarah Shahi who is gorgeous complains about her ethnic background - but she looks like a tanned American girl to me.

Fran Kranz is doing his "Topher" impression from Dollhouse, which I hope isn't the only acting bit he can do. Brian George is like a Pakistani Peter Sellers, something about him, I"m not quite sure but he's really charming as an old-skool dad.

The ending doesn't have much payoff, but the journey getting there isn't half bad. Kudos to Netflix without which I wouldn't have known about his movie. And PBS for actually showing it late one Saturday night.
June 10, 2010
Not a terrible movie... But, Chuck as any other character does not make sense...
June 7, 2010
I love this movie!! Anyone who loves tv shows as much as I do will get a kick out of how many incredible tv actors are in one movie. It's an awesome story and Zach's as genuine as he is on Chuck, which is always a reason to watch anything he's in :) and Franz Kranz is the MAN!!
May 28, 2010
A bit too cliche, a bit too autobiographical, and a bit of a miscast for the lead; but as good or better than the vast majority of Hollywood rom-coms.
May 11, 2010
Very cute romantic comedy. I really enjoyed it. Loved the little quips of advice his dad would give...'death by wife is the fate of every man'...lol
March 31, 2010
I'll be honest... the only reason I even streamed the thing was because I saw Zachary Levi's picture, but this was smart and funny and sweet.
½ March 28, 2010
It was a fun story to watch and who doesn't like a romantic comedy. Throw in Chuck and Dollhouse actors and it's bound to be good.
½ March 8, 2010
'Tuvo buena y muy entretenida. El sentido de humor muy bueno tambien especialmente pa'lo q vivimos en los esteiks.