Reviews

• Dec 31, 2015

Ambitious enlightenment storyline with a dose of horror. It has a decent tone, but is a little ambiguous in places.

• Jul 25, 2015

The write up above makes this sound far more exciting than it really is. Ostensibly a road move with a Westernised Native American rediscovering his roots, whilst fending off evil spirits and and rival shaman.

• Aug 19, 2014

A pretty clear example of a movie that's ... okay. Chief Dan George is Jan Michael Vincent's grandfather (sure he is), and they go on a road trip to fight an evil native american witch. Things happen ... it's all okay ... never bad, but never great. Not exactly memorable.

• Jul 10, 2014

I had been trying to track this Canadian cult classic down for almost two decades, I didn't know the title or the stars, just had a vague recollection of two scenes, but with enough research I was finally able to figure it out. This used to be shown on TV in Canada all the time in the early 80's and I saw it a couple times as a kid and it made an impact on me. It stars Chief Dan George and Jan-Michael Vincent and is essentially a Native American horror story, though shot in British Columbia. The film is a bit dated but I enjoyed the story, found it creepy, and it features gorgeous scenery. Worth a watch for something different.

• Red L Super Reviewer
    Jun 06, 2009

I didn't like this movie much. It didn't flow well - just a series of vignettes. I've always enjoyed Chief Dan George though.

• Feb 17, 2008

this is great move, Chief Dan George is in this movie as well. supernaturals, good and evil. The aging Indian medicine man Old Man Hawk arrives in the city to request help of his grandson Mike, a successful business executive. Old Man Hawk is fighting a sorcerous war with the witch Dsonqua who was executed two hundred years before and is now seeking revenge. Mike, who has no interest in the Indian ways, is reluctantly drawn in to helping. Joined by a woman journalist, Mike agrees to drive his grandfather three hundred miles home. But along the way Dsonqua increases her efforts and summons magical forces to destroy them.

• Oct 24, 2007

I know this movie is older....1976...but it is a good one with Jan Michael Vincent as a half white half indian man coming to grips with his heritage. Also stars Chief Dan George as his grandfather. Together they battle evil spirits and look for Gitchie Manitou....ancient Indian spirit.

• Aug 26, 2007

One of my childhood fave movies... It deals with a sinister darkside of Indian culture and actually stars a famous Native American by the name of Chief Dan George. I just loved the spookiness and suspense of the film which kept me interested in what happened next. I just wish I could find it on DVD soon.

• Lafe F Super Reviewer
    Jul 30, 2007

A creepy odyssey into Native American Indian supernatural legends. Hawk (Jan Michael Vincent) must answer the call of his heritage and assist his aging mediicine man father (Chief Dan George) on a journey to stop the evil sorceress Dsonqua and her legion of evil followers. It's a freaky road trip through Midwest America, with horribly freaky things hiding around every corner. Every time the shrieking Dsonqua appeared, I jumped out of my chair. The evil spirits inhabit animals and humans - and sometimes other vehicles on the road; yup, there's a harrowing road pursuit scene. There's a cool scene where they draw a line of good protection on the highway and the enemy car crashes into an invisible wall and bursts into flames. I really loved the scene on the precarious swining bridge over the chasm with the falling boards and strong winds. I liked the scene where the evil cult were using voodoo dolls to affect Chief Dan George, who was crossing a busy city intersection. The creature sound effects were effectively jarring. There's an awesome climax where scene where Jan Michael Vincent, dressed up in furs and warrior body paint, must sit inside a circle of protection whilst various scary entities tried to attack from all sides. This film has many great scenes, and sets up an effective spooky atmosphere. I hope a DVD comes out soon.