Shadow Dancer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shadow Dancer Reviews

hunterjt13
½ April 20, 2014
A captured IRA operative must decide to cooperate with a MI5 officer and betray her family or risk imprisonment.
A slow, stolid, essentially British film, Shadow Dancer is remarkably predictable. Each choice is explored in stereotypical fashion: the MI5 agent talks about the futility of violent resistance and the IRA leverages nationalistic and family loyalty. The performances are good but not extraordinary. Clive Owen is as intense as ever, and Andrea Riseborough is occasionally too stoic to read but not dynamic enough to be worth caring about.
Overall, if there were some surprise at the end, I might look more favorably on the film.
½ April 9, 2014
A slow paced thriller that drawn in by the excellent performances by the lead actors. The film will definitely have thinking leaving after leave the theater
March 16, 2014
Lots of silent staring, grim tight lipped characters and little actual explanations.
March 12, 2014
Slow...audio terrible
½ March 11, 2014
Grim, but intelligent. It was suspenseful and slowly absorbed me. I rather liked it.
March 8, 2014
(March 2014) The story is gripping (some seem to think it's slow but I never thought that). Could be a bit longer and explain a bit more... Acting, especially the antagonists Riseborough and Owen is superb. The series of events towards the end was surprising. Overall, enjoyable 100 minutes.
½ February 24, 2014
To me, this film has a lot of holes that never get filled. But, it's worth watching at least once b4 you kick the bucket.
½ February 13, 2014
The acting in this film is very good. The plot is lean and powerful. It is pretty depressing, but it seems true enough in its depiction of this troubled period of history. I say SEE IT!!!
February 7, 2014
3/5 --- A realistic government/spy drama, not really classifiable as thriller...Still, was good but slow and had trouble with the Irish/British accents, thank goodness for optional subtitles! Good acting with a small cast, had some tension between characters...The ending surprised me abit but was appropriate, and I like that the film was bold enough to do it that way. Not sure if it's based on a true a story, but it is based on a book/novel?
February 5, 2014
Slow paced, relentless, grey, anxious - a decent socio political drama/thriller set around Belfast and dealing with family issues.
½ February 1, 2014
I'm not sure what happened to this movie. It barely opened in the United States, and then it was gone. Which is too bad, because it's a pretty fine thriller. Starring Clive Owen ("Children of Men") and Andrea Riseborough ("Oblivion"), among others, "Shadow Dancer" takes us on a journey into the complexities and nuances of the longstanding Anglo-Irish conflict. Owen plays Mac, an MI5 officer assigned to handle Riseborough's Collette - whose family is deeply involved in the IRA - and to turn her into an informer. Directed by James Marsh ("Man on Wire," winner of the 2009 Best Documentary Oscar), the movie features many taut set pieces that leave you on the edge of your seat. Marsh, as a documentarian, knows his way around a handheld camera, and keeps the action constantly in forward motion (without resorting to cheap jitters). If the film breaks down a bit at the end and squanders the audience's goodwill through unnecessary contrivances, it's still well worth watching.
January 28, 2014
Probrebly ok but did not care for the story , boring for me
Oops watcht it again ,again boring , damn !
January 25, 2014
....i liked the movie, I was wondering , when she went on the london tube , to plant the bomb, why didnt she plant the handbag in the subway filled w/ passengers for maximum injuries, instead she walked up an empty stairway & drop her bag there? doesnt make any sense?isnt she supposed to be a terrorist?
January 23, 2014
Oscar-winning*documentary filmmaker James Marsh (Man on Wire*, The Team, Project Nim) has tried his hand at directing narrative features in the past whose most successful one was part of the quiet yet grim Red Riding serial killer trilogy. Englishman Marsh helmed the middle segment of that series entitled The Year of Our Lord 1980. Marsh stays in the past - while jumping forward a little over a decade - with his Irish Republican Army Belfast-based drama Shadow Dancer that stars Andrea Riseborough (Oblivion, Disconnect, W.E.) as Collette, a failed IRA operative turned desperate MI5 informant who is being bullied and manipulated by government agents to do their bidding by spying on some of her closest friends. Mac (Clive Owen - Closer, Children of Men) controls Collette by dangling the lives of her son and various other family members in front of her ... letting her know the lives of her closest family members depend solely upon her as the IRA would not hesitate in ending their lives if they believed her to be a turncoat. When Kate Fletcher (Gillian Anderson - The X-Files, The House of Mirth) - a demanding new agent - steps into the picture and jeopardizes the long-running operation by requesting even more out of a dangerously frazzled Collette, the single Irish mother who has lost loved ones to the cause no longer knows who she can trust. Game of Thrones' Aidan Gillen and Domhnall Gleeson (About Time, Harry Potter) co-star in this slow moving and unfolding drama - with some very thick accents - that audiences may have a hard time with as there is more drama than action to be found onscreen. While it is an acting showcase for the three leads, audiences probably will want more.
½ January 2, 2014
A Powerhouse Espionage Thriller...
December 23, 2013
Just couldn't get into the movie enough to care enough about the characters or the story.
December 20, 2013
Well-done thriller, with a great performance by Andrea Riseborough.
½ December 17, 2013
Very slow plot and very boring....