Shadows (Hellgate) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shadows (Hellgate) Reviews

½ October 31, 2015
Not even worth my time to review it.

Don't see it.
September 15, 2015
While the acting was decent, the story was not very fulfilling or exciting. I found it mediocre.
June 27, 2013
had promise but not really a horror. more of a journey for one dude trying to get rid of his 'visions'. Acting was under anything good and im surprised really to see William Hurt in a movie like this, even thouh its clear he isnt really giving to shits for his role. watch if ya like but its not that great.
½ June 13, 2013
After a fatal car accident a man realizes that his soul, separated from his body, is hanging out at the gates of hell and he only has two days to get it back.
Horror movies come up with the most ridiculous rules: "They can't eat after midnight," "You must be looking in a mirror," "Don't go to Camp Crystal Lake." And in each film there's always some mystical old woman who happens to know all this shit. But the concept behind this film might be the most laughable. After about forty-five minutes of characters piling bullshit rule upon mystical bullshit rule, I lost the ability to keep all the bullshit straight.
The film gets some cheap thrills from scary, gory corpses reaching out at the characters like spooky, pimple-ridden high school students who get paid minimum wage to work at a haunted house.
William Hurt is the reason I saw this film. He's not horrible, but it's definitely not a representative performance. Most of the time when he intends to look hurt and tortured, he just looks tired.
Overall, I'm never going to meet my favorite actor, William Hurt, but if I ever do, I'll be able to say, "I'll follow you to Hellgate."
½ June 11, 2013
Meh. It had the potential to be pretty good, but it ended up just being weird.
June 5, 2013
This cold have been a great film if it wasn't for Cary Elwes beyond terrible acting which makes the film painful to watch.
½ May 16, 2013
This was a good try at a horror movie but it was too all over the place for me. Elwes character is weak and whiny and it really takes away from the film. The rest of the cast is pretty good. William Hurt is outstanding and plays his role very well. The whole story of the shadow world and the flesh eating things on the other side. It was all just too confusing and complicated. It seemed as though there were several points to this underworld but it never really came together to have proper flow. This movie can easily be passed by.
May 15, 2013
I wanted to like Hellgate: the premise wasn't terrible, the settings were awesome, and the mix of jungle adventure and supernatural horror could have been compelling. Unfortunately, it just sucks. Part of the problem is Cary Elwes, who is a terrible actor--he is the one flaw in the original Saw film. He only works in The Princess Bride because it is a comedy that requires hammy acting. Even William Hurt can't help to elevate this film or add seriousness to it because its other major problem is that it lacks scares and instead focuses on family drama that just comes off as cheesy. Again, Hellgate had potential, but it just ended up being a rather silly supernatural film about trying to deal with grief in the stupidest way possible.
May 15, 2013
Apparently one of the few to do so, I actually liked it. Great premise and decent acting. It could have been better if they'd dug deeper into the material instead of spending so much time 'convincing' us and Elwes he was seeing something outside normal perception. While that made for a lighter movie, it was still a worthwhile watch.
½ December 19, 2012
Different belief systems at work.Interesting! Good to see
November 29, 2012
Couldn't sit through this garbage of a film. Stay far away
½ November 26, 2012
Bardo and a Buddhist idea of hell are mangled up in this tiring movie.
November 20, 2012
I wish see this movie a lot.
½ November 18, 2012
Jeff experiences a great loss when his wife and son are instantly killed in an car accident. A truck rammed into them. Jeff becomes the only survivor of the wreckage. He awakes six weeks later in a hospital and learns of the news of the death of his wife and son. Strangely he can't cry over it or be angry.

Soon Jeff is left in the care of a young nurse named Choi. She keeps a close eye on him and helps him with his walking. Things start to become stranger when Jeff begins to hear voices. Then the images of horrific events start to play out while he's awake. He's seeing ghosts from a place known as the Shadow World. These ghosts lie between our world and the world of the dead. These ghosts are stuck in this unfortunate purgatory where they must relive the events that cost them their lives over and over again.

One night he looks into a mirror after a frightening episode and discovers
that the reflection of himself is transparent. This leads him to confide in Choi who directs him to her aunt, a spiritual adviser. She tries helping him, but it's going to take much more than herself to rid the Shadow World. That's when they turn to William Hurt who plays Warren, a soul surfer of sorts.

From Warren, Jeff learns that his own soul is still trapped at the moment of when his wife and son died. In order for Jeff to let go he must travel to a far off place to enter the Shadow World through something called a Hellgate. Once through he must release his trapped soul from the loss of his family or become like they are. In other words, to let go and move on or DIE!

This was impressive and surprisingly spooky. Kind of like a hybrid of 'Jacob's Ladder' meets 'The Dead Zone', but with creatures that hide in the shadows. However, it's heavily dull in the 2nd act and some of it gets bogged down by it's own limited budget. The effects are well done and the atmosphere is handled well.

Overall, a minor horror gem with impressive visuals and scares.