Shadows (Hellgate) Reviews

• Oct 26, 2016

No da miedo, pero si es buena la historia y entretiene.

No da miedo, pero si es buena la historia y entretiene.

• Oct 31, 2015

Not even worth my time to review it. Don't see it.

Not even worth my time to review it. Don't see it.

• Sep 15, 2015

While the acting was decent, the story was not very fulfilling or exciting. I found it mediocre.

• Jun 27, 2013

had promise but not really a horror. more of a journey for one dude trying to get rid of his 'visions'. Acting was under anything good and im surprised really to see William Hurt in a movie like this, even thouh its clear he isnt really giving to shits for his role. watch if ya like but its not that great.

• Jim H Super Reviewer
    Jun 13, 2013

After a fatal car accident a man realizes that his soul, separated from his body, is hanging out at the gates of hell and he only has two days to get it back. Horror movies come up with the most ridiculous rules: "They can't eat after midnight," "You must be looking in a mirror," "Don't go to Camp Crystal Lake." And in each film there's always some mystical old woman who happens to know all this shit. But the concept behind this film might be the most laughable. After about forty-five minutes of characters piling bullshit rule upon mystical bullshit rule, I lost the ability to keep all the bullshit straight. The film gets some cheap thrills from scary, gory corpses reaching out at the characters like spooky, pimple-ridden high school students who get paid minimum wage to work at a haunted house. William Hurt is the reason I saw this film. He's not horrible, but it's definitely not a representative performance. Most of the time when he intends to look hurt and tortured, he just looks tired. Overall, I'm never going to meet my favorite actor, William Hurt, but if I ever do, I'll be able to say, "I'll follow you to Hellgate."

• Jun 11, 2013

Meh. It had the potential to be pretty good, but it ended up just being weird.

Meh. It had the potential to be pretty good, but it ended up just being weird.

• Jun 04, 2013

This cold have been a great film if it wasn't for Cary Elwes beyond terrible acting which makes the film painful to watch.

• May 16, 2013

This was a good try at a horror movie but it was too all over the place for me. Elwes character is weak and whiny and it really takes away from the film. The rest of the cast is pretty good. William Hurt is outstanding and plays his role very well. The whole story of the shadow world and the flesh eating things on the other side. It was all just too confusing and complicated. It seemed as though there were several points to this underworld but it never really came together to have proper flow. This movie can easily be passed by.

• May 15, 2013

I wanted to like Hellgate: the premise wasn't terrible, the settings were awesome, and the mix of jungle adventure and supernatural horror could have been compelling. Unfortunately, it just sucks. Part of the problem is Cary Elwes, who is a terrible actor--he is the one flaw in the original Saw film. He only works in The Princess Bride because it is a comedy that requires hammy acting. Even William Hurt can't help to elevate this film or add seriousness to it because its other major problem is that it lacks scares and instead focuses on family drama that just comes off as cheesy. Again, Hellgate had potential, but it just ended up being a rather silly supernatural film about trying to deal with grief in the stupidest way possible.

• May 15, 2013

Apparently one of the few to do so, I actually liked it. Great premise and decent acting. It could have been better if they'd dug deeper into the material instead of spending so much time 'convincing' us and Elwes he was seeing something outside normal perception. While that made for a lighter movie, it was still a worthwhile watch.