Shakes the Clown - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shakes the Clown Reviews

May 24, 2015
Many hate it. I quite enjoyed it. Dark satire that is so odd, it manages to both baffle and either make you laugh or turn away.
January 11, 2015
Twisted, brutal and totally worth it. Also proof that critics are idiots
November 25, 2014
its not because I think the entire world is a bunch of clowns living in Palukaville its because of the wonderful portrayal of that world!
September 27, 2014
Pretty good comedy directed by and starring the wild one from Police Academy. This is in the same vain as Bad Santa in so much as a drunk slob has a sideline in childrens entertainment. This film is quite rare as it is an Adam Sandler comedy which is watchable.
August 11, 2014
Unforgivably poor reviews by professional film critics for this brilliant mess of a film. Sorry about the camera angles, wannabes!
½ August 11, 2014
(First and only viewing - 9/12/2008)
½ July 13, 2014
Bobcat Goldthwait's film debut as a writer/director suffers from overreach and underwriting. It's weird, but it's not really funny. The movie plays like a series of scene outlines -- ideas for how the movie should progress -- that needed more writing and revision before the actors were called in. Shakes the Clown has been photographed as poorly as it was conceived. The cinematography is so murky that a white picket fence comes out looking brown. Goldthwait could have done a much better job of direction; some scenes ran far too long, others built up and then cut away without a payoff. The film also stars Adam Sandler as another clown, but he's just whining when Shakes screws up. Appearing briefly and inexplicably is Robin Williams, who plays a mime and is many times funnier than anything around him. Presumably meant as a black comic ode to subcultural misfits, Shakes the Clown is a tasteless wallow that takes inordinate pleasure in urination, vomiting, and other such indelicacies. Shakes the Clown is sick but whether it's a joke is a matter of taste. And this film is pretty tasteless.

VERDICT: "Not So Hot" - [Negative Reaction] These films are truly terrible films. They are not the worst things ever made, but they are definitely awful and should not be seen by anyone. (Films that are rated 1.5 or 2 stars)
½ June 8, 2014
Watch her for the very small role of Adam Sandler and other than that not too many highlights
½ April 30, 2014
The greatest drunken clown movie that you will ever see.
½ January 22, 2014
As a piece of filmmaking, this is far from perfect. But it has a funny, weird "Death to Smoochy" feel to it that I really enjoyed. Yes, that is Adam Sandler as Dink the Clown. And yes, that is Robin Williams as a mime instructor.
½ November 27, 2013
Certainly not for everyone, but if you enjoy absurdism mixed with sick/twisted satire - Goldthwait's directorial debut will not disappoint. Perverse and just plain wrong - this little movie well deserves its cult-following.
October 20, 2013
A rather unfunny comedy about low-life clowns. Tom Kenny, Robin Williams, Bobcat Gothwait, Adam Sandler, etc. Too depressing to watch these people wallow in filth.
½ August 20, 2013
A simple message: we're all fuckin' clowns.
½ March 17, 2013
My husband made me watch this when we were dating - and I still married him. I guess it was because we made out during this as the film has no redeeming qualities.
½ February 8, 2013
Though it has a few chuckles, Bobcat's campy first outing at the helm stretches its gimmick fatally thin after fifteen minutes, let alone 90.
January 22, 2013
I've been searching for this movie for a LONG time.
December 23, 2012
it looks funny but i hate clowns
November 1, 2012
Greasepaint, bipolar behavior and rampant alcoholism. Sign me up..
October 31, 2012
I was told not to see this movie, so I'm not going to.