Shakes the Clown - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shakes the Clown Reviews

October 12, 2012
This movie Doesn't Exist
September 8, 2012
it's "The Citizen Kane of Alcoholic Clown Movies", duh.
August 29, 2012
Great movie to watch when you are half in the bag. When sober not as funny.
August 19, 2012
Bobcat Goldwaith, el excentrico comico que se dio a conocer en cintas como "Police Academy 2", "One Crazy Summer" y "Hot To Trot" es de un talento poco apreciado. Su primera cinta como director es una experiencia tanto perturbadora como inolvidable. En su debut como director, Goldwaith encarna a Shakes, un payaso alcoholico pero con un gran don de ninos, que se enfrenta a payasos rivales (Adam SAndler) y a mimos pretenciosos (Robin Williams). Atacada por la critica en su tiempo, un fracaso rotundo de taquilla, pero en esta epoca de "South Park", "Family Guy" y "Krusty el Payaso" de "Simpsons", "Shakes The Clown" se ve como una obra magistral adelantada a su tiempo. No es para todos los publicos, pero indudablemente es todo un clasico de la comedia negra.
August 14, 2012
My God, how do 49 percent of users like this movie? It was funny is a stupid sort of way but this was by far one of the worst movies I have ever seen! Damn you Netflix lol! Even if I was high and drunk could I even find this to be even remotely watchable.
½ July 29, 2012
Good raunchy fun with great supporting antics by Robin Williams, Tom Kenny and, a very young, Adam Sandler.
June 14, 2012
Not great. Not extremely awful, but nowhere near good.
June 8, 2012
Always loved this movie. Genius writing, acting despite being a situation and a bunch of characters that are hard to like in any other situation.
May 23, 2012
clowns freak me out!!!!
½ May 21, 2012
Uneven, but the movie certainly has it's share of laughs and it features a brilliant comedic performance by Tom Kenny
½ May 7, 2012
The best drunken clown movie I know. It could be worse. The clowns, mimes and rodeo clowns make it. Worth see due to the sheer fact that it exists.
½ April 3, 2012
Oh what could have been. Adam Sandler, Bobcat goldthwait and drunk clowns, yet as funny as it sounds this movie was horrible. Bopring is the best word to describe it. It starts out really good with a hilliarious scene that sets the mood for a good comedy but then becomes more of a drama with no real humor and no real stroyline. Robin Williams was the lone bright spot for the movie but his short appearence does little to salvage this very depressing comedy.
½ February 12, 2012
I didnt like this. I thought it would be funnier, I did like how he tried to put a serious spin on his addiction though.
½ February 2, 2012
I watched this wrong: sober. Well, more like sobering up. I had five tall cans in the afternoon then decided, gee it's 4PM and I'm feeling a bit tipsy so maybe I should take a break, eat something, drink some powerade, so I don't feel too bad the following day. Work and all. What this means is that I would never, ever, be able to be a clown according to this movie.
January 30, 2012
Martin Scorsese said it best: it's the "Citizen Kane" of alcoholic clown movies.
December 24, 2011
Dark as Hell but iNsAnELy funny. It's the "Citizen Kane of alcoholic clown movies." >:)~
October 18, 2011
The movie takes place in the town of Palookaville, where are friend Shakes is always trying to just get by. This movie had a wonderfully funny cast in Bobcat Goldthwait, Adam Sandler, Tom Kenny (Spongebob VA), and Robin Williams. The direction was well used, though some editing flaws do occasionally appear. The story is strange and full of dark humor. The lighting was used to show characters at times when they were particularly strange. Of course there were times when was too dark, but that was rare. The humor tended to be gutter humor sometimes, and there is a message of alcohol is nice in moderation. In the end it's mostly about a clown trying to get by with his friends and have fun. So it's not a high recommendation, but if your looking for a movie to watch and riff too, I'd say this would be a good one.
May 10, 2011
½ April 30, 2011
This movie is a bit weird, but that's what I love about it. Goldthwait has a weird dark sense of humor, and it really makes this movie unique. There is also an interesting cast, as you can see on here, it's made up of a bunch of people you never expected to see in a film together. Anyway, if you like strange comedies, you'll like this one.