Shall We Dance - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shall We Dance Reviews

July 28, 2014
"Shall We Dance" benefits from the charming performances from Richard Gere, Jennifer Lopez, and Susan Sarandon who give this film the requisite energy like its impressive dance sequences. Despite its feel good appeal, the film plays things too safe and does not delve into any deeper or cultural context.
July 26, 2014
Funny, charming, enjoyable.
½ July 3, 2014
Once again Hollywood's McDonaldization of a great film fails miserably.
½ June 16, 2014
Paulina (Jennifer Lopez): The rumba is the vertical expression of a horizontal wish.

This was kind of cute although I've seen the original Japanese version and that film was absolutely endearing. Richard Gere's John Clark was cool and he had splendid chemistry with his on-screen wife, played by the uber sexy Susan Sarandon. Jennifer Lopez was an excellent dancer but her acting skills left much to be desired. Stanley Tucci was awesome as usual and his portrayal of Link was absolutely hilarious. The rest of the supporting cast were pretty good as well and I got a kick out of seeing Tony Dovolani (as "Slick Willy") and Karina Smirnoff (as Link's pouty dance partner) from "Dancing with the Stars" and also Mya, as Vern's fiancée they made a super cute on-screen couple. Overall, this was a pretty good film, but the original Japanese version was still better.
June 12, 2014
Insipid and predictable, Shall We Dance has its moments, but quite frankly the dude the movie's about creeps me out: going dancing (which isn't bad), to regain some kind of sense of self-confidence (or something like that), all while discreetly hitting on the dance teacher for no reason. Weird...
January 29, 2014
This movie is all right, but something tells me the original is even better.
December 21, 2013
good remake of the 1995 Japanese pic of the same name
½ November 25, 2013
I really like this movie. Richard Gere is wonderful as always as a guy dealing with unhappiness and restlessness. Starts taking Ballroom Dancing lessons and keeps it a secret from his wife, Susan Sarandon. Stanley Tucci and Bobby Cannavale are also in it and are very funny! Has a wonderful ending.
November 3, 2013
Too simplistic of an American remake, unfortunately.
½ June 30, 2013
A lovely feel good movie about dancing :)
May 23, 2013
No, Richard Gere! No!
May 4, 2013
If you are a fan of dancing films, and specifically ballroom, then I guess this has a fair amount in it to satisfy the eyes, as for the story in between it is lacking in originality, only the dancing is worth watching, otherwise it's only probably only worth seeing the once, a slightly lame romantic comedy drama.
May 1, 2013
Surprisingly good. At first I thought it was going to be a weird movie where Richard Gere has an affair with Jennifer Lopez but it was something a lot better and true. Sometimes people want to do something out of character to feel a live again. Anyway I liked it
½ January 27, 2013
This was a really nice, feel-good movie, the dancing was great. I'm glad the story didn't take the turn I was fearing. Richard Gere was spectacular in one of his usual lovable characters. Stanley Tucci was hilarious, I just love that guy.
½ January 22, 2013
richard gere makes my heart go pitter patter. or more like, step step twiiiirl hop.
January 22, 2013
We shall. I expected to hate this movie, but it was too charming not to like it. A feel good movie. Richard Gere once again plays the PERFECT man.
January 21, 2013
A movie about man's search for a sense of happiness in dancing. Sweet and okay.
January 8, 2013
MOM how dare you make me watch this?!
½ January 6, 2013
This was a really nice, feel-good movie, the dancing was great. I'm glad the story didn't take the turn I was fearing. Richard Gere was spectacular in one of his usual lovable characters. He just got an irresistible.. something. Stanley Tucci was hilarious, I just love that guy.
December 15, 2012
To find something you're passionate about at any age is truly a blessing. Oh how I miss dancing!