Shame - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shame Reviews

½ March 1, 2016
The great look at sex addiction, best Fassbender's performance
January 24, 2016
I'm late to see this, but definitely the feel bad movie of 2011. Fassbender, however, is brilliant.
½ January 16, 2016
Interesting movie about sex addiction.....with Michael Fassbender.....
January 12, 2016
Watched this in my Carey Mulligan filmography binge. It wrecked me. Very sexually explicit, very, and the saddest character study I've seen in quite a while. I don't know how Fassbender was brave enough to do this. I couldn't stop crying. I wish mental health was actually a requirement, wish it was just typical at different stages of life, especially in childhood. Devastated. As much as I have to rate this well, I wish I hadn't seen it at all.
½ January 5, 2016
it's a good kind of crazy
January 2, 2016
It's like somebody watched Requiem for a Dream and thought " Hum... I like that part about the drug addict turned prostitute, it's very deep and sexual. I wonder what a male version of Marion Silver would look like if we make him more sexual and less deep..."
December 25, 2015
ruined my week but a brilliant film
December 12, 2015
Intensely intimate portrayal of a sex addled man who can't shake the needy obsession of carnal lust. Fassbender is superb.
December 10, 2015
Nice horror movie. Was terrified throughout the entire thing.
December 10, 2015
A well acted and great performance as usual from Michael Fassbender and the character -Brandon- is so complicated and cold one, i mean a selfish sex addicted guy who lost the pleasure to be with a women again, its like insane !!!
anyway its still a mysterious one and there is many questions that will blow your mind cause i still have no answers for it even i watched many reviews about the movie.
still a good one but its not that kind of movie that i recommend it :D its just decide if you want to watch it.
December 5, 2015
I feel like this film deserved more than 3 stars because of Fassbender's performance...and he should of won an Academy Award for the many times he was naked in the film haha, but the fact that the Director, Steve McQueen had such long pointless scenes, really took my focus away from the movie. It just got boring in scenes where the same repetitive thing was happening for a few minutes. Fassbender always does such a good job in every film he's in though. He really becomes the character and makes you forget that you're not just watching another actor act. He owns his parts.
½ November 27, 2015
Very adult drama but thoughtful story
November 25, 2015
A horrible movie about a douchebag.
½ November 25, 2015
I was told this is a powerful movie that doesn't leave your mind....I was disappointed.
November 15, 2015
Shame is brutally honest and unflinching in its depiction of sexual addition. It's hard to watch but surprisingly necessary.
Grade: A+
½ October 22, 2015
Este salvaje drama erótico, tiene una de las mejores actuaciones en los últimos cinco años y su fotografía es una belleza visual.
October 12, 2015
It indulges the addiction, while remaining interesting in the moment.
October 12, 2015
A beautiful and confident performance from Michael Fassbender.The film allows the audience to witness the destruction of ones life.However, at times I personally felt that 'something' was perhaps missing from the plot. For me the film does not have a clear beginning,middle and end.
October 7, 2015
It's a Shame that due to its NC-17 rating, few people will get the chance to watch this Steve McQueen vehicle. Other director-actor pairings better watch out, McQueen-Fassbender may just be the Scorsese-De Niro of our day.

Fassbender's performance is all-in; he bears all as Brandon, and the viewer finds his behavior so wretched and despicable, yet we spur him onward by continuing to watch. Carey Mulligan also delivers a tremendous but nuanced role as Brandon's sister, appropriately named Sissy. In some movies, a musical number like Sissy's "New York, New York" might seem superfluous and over the top, but it is almost essential in this case.

But the highest praise must go to the man behind the lens. McQueen's ability to say so much with so few words is simply unprecedented. It lacks dialogue in the vein of another 2011 film, Nicolas Winding Refn's Drive. What's different about Shame is that it doesn't seem to be missing anything; rather, the words just aren't necessary. A furrowed brow and carefully measured eye movements tell the story sufficiently and perhaps even better. There is no better example than Brandon's two encounters with married women on the train, one near the beginning of the film as well as the final shot. Similarly, the lack of a soundtrack is both gritty and real, minimalist by function rather than style.

Furthermore, McQueen's ability to turn sex into a sort of character in itself is amazing. Few, if any, people can turn what is a common occurrence in cinema into something more. In this case, it is almost as if sex - or more precisely, sexual deviancy - is a sort of devil that has found it's way into a man's soul. Finally, I must point out the long tracking shot of Michael Fassbender jogging on the concrete sidewalks of New York. Both technically and artistically, it is nothing short of an achievement. Absolutely stunning, now to watch Hunger.