Shame - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shame Reviews

December 10, 2015
A well acted and great performance as usual from Michael Fassbender and the character -Brandon- is so complicated and cold one, i mean a selfish sex addicted guy who lost the pleasure to be with a women again, its like insane !!!
anyway its still a mysterious one and there is many questions that will blow your mind cause i still have no answers for it even i watched many reviews about the movie.
still a good one but its not that kind of movie that i recommend it :D its just decide if you want to watch it.
December 5, 2015
I feel like this film deserved more than 3 stars because of Fassbender's performance...and he should of won an Academy Award for the many times he was naked in the film haha, but the fact that the Director, Steve McQueen had such long pointless scenes, really took my focus away from the movie. It just got boring in scenes where the same repetitive thing was happening for a few minutes. Fassbender always does such a good job in every film he's in though. He really becomes the character and makes you forget that you're not just watching another actor act. He owns his parts.
½ November 27, 2015
Very adult drama but thoughtful story
November 25, 2015
A horrible movie about a douchebag.
½ November 25, 2015
I was told this is a powerful movie that doesn't leave your mind....I was disappointed.
November 15, 2015
Shame is brutally honest and unflinching in its depiction of sexual addition. It's hard to watch but surprisingly necessary.
Grade: A+
½ October 22, 2015
Este salvaje drama erótico, tiene una de las mejores actuaciones en los últimos cinco años y su fotografía es una belleza visual.
October 12, 2015
It indulges the addiction, while remaining interesting in the moment.
October 12, 2015
A beautiful and confident performance from Michael Fassbender.The film allows the audience to witness the destruction of ones life.However, at times I personally felt that 'something' was perhaps missing from the plot. For me the film does not have a clear beginning,middle and end.
October 7, 2015
It's a Shame that due to its NC-17 rating, few people will get the chance to watch this Steve McQueen vehicle. Other director-actor pairings better watch out, McQueen-Fassbender may just be the Scorsese-De Niro of our day.

Fassbender's performance is all-in; he bears all as Brandon, and the viewer finds his behavior so wretched and despicable, yet we spur him onward by continuing to watch. Carey Mulligan also delivers a tremendous but nuanced role as Brandon's sister, appropriately named Sissy. In some movies, a musical number like Sissy's "New York, New York" might seem superfluous and over the top, but it is almost essential in this case.

But the highest praise must go to the man behind the lens. McQueen's ability to say so much with so few words is simply unprecedented. It lacks dialogue in the vein of another 2011 film, Nicolas Winding Refn's Drive. What's different about Shame is that it doesn't seem to be missing anything; rather, the words just aren't necessary. A furrowed brow and carefully measured eye movements tell the story sufficiently and perhaps even better. There is no better example than Brandon's two encounters with married women on the train, one near the beginning of the film as well as the final shot. Similarly, the lack of a soundtrack is both gritty and real, minimalist by function rather than style.

Furthermore, McQueen's ability to turn sex into a sort of character in itself is amazing. Few, if any, people can turn what is a common occurrence in cinema into something more. In this case, it is almost as if sex - or more precisely, sexual deviancy - is a sort of devil that has found it's way into a man's soul. Finally, I must point out the long tracking shot of Michael Fassbender jogging on the concrete sidewalks of New York. Both technically and artistically, it is nothing short of an achievement. Absolutely stunning, now to watch Hunger.
September 26, 2015
A solid character study that is difficult to enjoy but hard not to appreciate.
September 19, 2015
So here's another Fassbender film that borders on being an unbearable sit. Not because it's bad; it's a bare, intentionally unsexy, and lonely dive into shame, a state that puts a wall between us and the world, causing us to dig even deeper into our own sadness. However, its desire to be transparent makes it a slog to get through. "Shame" is a purposeful and penetrating movie I find very little fault in that I am hard pressed to say I "enjoy" or can even comfortably recommend.
September 18, 2015
This is one of the strongest movies I've seen in a while and certainly one of the cleverest.
Brilliant performances by Fassbender and Mulligan.
September 12, 2015
not bad 4 a NC-17 rating who r the MPAA anyway
September 10, 2015
½ August 23, 2015
Fassbender's performance is terrific, and the film explores the issues of addiction, depravity and intimacy in a cold, oppressive tone.
August 21, 2015
This is one of the most disturbing movies I've ever seen, some scenes almost had me in the fetal position at point, but it is still a fantastic movie. When someone asks me why I have a problem with the academy, I basically tell them about this movie. Fassbender gives a very Brando-Esque performance, worthy of not only being nominated but winning the Oscar. The music is beautiful, the cinematography is fantastic, the direction and writing are flawless, the acting is completely perfect. But like I said, it is incredibly dark and disturbing so I can't recommend for everyone. But if you can handle dark and depressing go for it, it will be worth it
August 1, 2015
Shame! Shame was a very, very good film. i enjoyed alot about this movie because of the performances, writing, direction and last but not least the great cinematography. This film shows you what it is really like to be in brandon's shoes with the struggle of him being a sex addict. There is one thing that really confused me in a bad way that just didn't make alot of sence. its a scene thats powerful, and i felt neccisary to be in the movie just to try and learn more about brandons character, the only thing i could think of after watching this scene is maybe he really doesnt want to be a sex addict any more, but it's not quite clear to me considering some questionable things he does towards the end of the movie. but, i really enjoyed shame, i reccomend this to people who aren't easily disturbed and realize this is a film not real life, but can maybe relate to people in real life but is just a film. so, basically people who really respect film, and performances.
July 27, 2015
Really got to say I didn't enjoy this film at all. I'm sure it was probably supposed to be very arty farty with hidden meanings and touching various themes but to me it was just plain weird and messed up. Michael Fassbender does play the role well however!