Shanghai - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shanghai Reviews

July 7, 2012
Good but I expected more.
July 1, 2012
The truly great films portray truths, and they portray them in a way that hits close to home. While the characters in this film are a tad removed from touching a raw nerve, this is still a thought-provoking, tongue-in-cheek depiction of the Great Indian Political Farce. It is a dog-eat-dog world in Bharatnagar. In governmental corridors, the ever-present babudom and the power of the public āservantā?, ensures deep-rooted corruption.

This is a great film. Go see it.
½ July 1, 2012
If Dibakar Banerjee were a contestant on Masterchef Australia and asked to pick up his ingredients from the pantry in two minutes flat - he would probably spend the first half minute scampering around - picking up some fresh dark humor from here and a bunch of characters with some shades of gray from there. All so that he gets to spend the remaining minute and a half for leisurely picking up his main ingredient - a soulful slab of irony.
½ June 28, 2012
Brilliant acting! wish it was put to a better plot than the same old politics inscribing corrupt, self interest of politicians... nothing new.
June 25, 2012
Shanghai is a dark earthy film; itā??s a drama played over and over again in front of us in the 9 pm news, these are characters we are acquainted with. Dibakar only presents the logistics behind the lies and the motive behind the machination. Just that the seats at Wave Cinema were comfortable. Otherwise the movie was a regular drama.
½ June 24, 2012
I consider Shanghai as Dibakar Banerjee's first lukewarm film after his enthusiastic three back-to-back films filled with humor. I don't know why he chose to make a film of such a subject and decided to present it in a grim tone. Dibakar's Love, Sex aur Dhokha also had emotionally appealing scenes, but that movie was not entirely shouldered on that sequences. Opposite to such sequences, Love, Sex Aur Dhokha, tried to made audiences laugh, with a new inventive method of humor and proved to some extent successful. Shanghai's story focuses on a team of activists opposing a duo of high level politicians who wants to grab poor colonies of residences of poor class, and wants to create Sky-Scrappers in it's place, so it makes the city look like 'Shanghai'. The movie tries to create tension when the main activist is intentionally injured fatally and the consequences that follow. But since the film does not wishes to create suspense in it's story, the thrill factor seems to become diminishing as we approach the end. Shanghai is a finely furnished film, especially in performances, and especially by Abhay Deol, but when we're seated watching, we feel that we know all this already don't we. Which is, the movies having corrupt politicians and their smart plans to grab out what they want, and finish off what comes by in way, by hiring pet assassins' - who also get disappeared from politicians' way, once they feel like ending the assassins' job. It is not so that Diabakar Banerjee has presented this film without any effort. You can observe a sense of realism whiling watching, evernthough the subject already familiar to us. For realism, there is a scene in the film, where a wife is called by police to witness her husband's death, which police claim to be an accident, but which clearly isn't so, as the film shows itself. What lacks in Shanghai is the style in which Dibakar Banerjee had represented his previous three films. Dibakar Banerjee, is one of the promising parellel cinema director, but through this film, doubts arise. And so, it is not presented in a style resembling Dibakar's earlier films - which was thrilling, this films feels to leading towards a docu-drama approach. And I would watch a good documentary on politician conspiracies, then I would watch a film which is taglined as a Thriller, but which when watched, does not feels like one. Emraan Hashmi may be a good choice to select to play, but he feels too new to the world of Intense cinema, although giving an O.K performance. Farooq Sheikh returns as that old pure (unenglished) hindi speaking character, who throws his lines smart and naturally, like other old actors, like Rushi Kapoor. But, only good performances do not make thrillers. And the weakest portions, from the already weak unthrilling pace of the films, is its unconvincing climax, which shows descriptions in white letter - which are usually found in documentary films. For thriller films such climaxes which simply would show informative descriptions have rarely proved to be successful. I am certain about this film.
½ June 24, 2012
another serious movie by abhay deol......a diffrnt role fr emraan as
June 24, 2012
Good - Abhay Deol and Emran Hashmi's performances. Bad - slow plot development, weak climax and Kalki's performance. On Kalki, I dont get why Bollywood insists on having good-looking, can't act, plastic figures on the screen.
½ June 24, 2012
Typical Political Drama. Strong ambition. Predictable Plot. It would have been better if the locations were beautiful, otherwise great performance of actors makes this movie watchable. Simple yet interesting role of Emraan Hashimi, regular loyal south indian executive role of Abhay Deol are the highlights.
½ June 24, 2012
not what expected. Only Abhay deol and Imraan Hashmi's superb act saved it a bit!
½ June 24, 2012
Could have been much better!!
June 23, 2012
Good to see veterans like Farooq Shaikh on screen. And here he reminds you why we loved watching him all those years ago. And Emraan Hashmi has been peeling off that stupid stereotype he was stuck with earlier. A good movie to watch, especially when you take someone like typical masala film baddie, Anant Jog, and cast him as a poor man caught in the muck of politics with no hope of ever breaking out of it. Was pleasantly surprised, if nothing else.
June 22, 2012
The plot never loses focus, the characters never lose credibility-- Dibakar tells us a powerful story with flab-less script, almost un-movie-like scenes and superb performances from Abhay and Emraan (and the skinny guy in the van).

It feels very real, very murky, very dark. And it feels bad to see all these bitter truths.

An amazing movie!
June 20, 2012
Old wine in a sleek new bottle. That's it.
People who are saying this is a 'political' thriller, should get their brains checked. This is a film bordering on escapism, masked by an undue overly serious tone. It refuses to delve deeper into a raging political issue, and manages only to scratch the surface resulting in a less than engaging "thriller".

P.S.- Commendable performances by everyone in the cast( except Kalki, who was grossly miscast) is the only thing that makes this film worth-watching.
½ June 20, 2012
A superb movie in its own sense. It's in fact one of the best releases of Bollywood. This fabulous political thriller displays the potential of the director, Dibakar Bannerjee. A fabulous script, linking the lives of four persons to a governmental project in an unexpected way. It is in fact the movie to be watched.
One sentence - Bureaucracy at its best.
June 19, 2012
superb powerful political thriller! just awesome!
½ June 18, 2012
Bureaucracy in depth
½ June 17, 2012
The plot runs out of steam at times, but it is a highly-stylized Indian representation of the novel "Z". Superb performances from the entire cast.
June 17, 2012
Wonderfully made movie!!!
June 16, 2012
Not as per expectation.. Emraan Hashmi steals the show...Abhay deol is fantastic...I do not understand how Kalki even gets a movie...Prasenjit good in his part and a special mention to Pitobash Tripathy. Background score is good.. Plot is ok, you can predict the ending.