Shanghai Fortress Reviews

• Nov 04, 2020

A cross between the Chinese versions of ‘Ender's Game' and ‘Independence Day' which is probably better as a book as it seems to skip over a lot of stuff and the monologues would fit better. There's lots of dramatic music and inspiring scenes, but also lots of ham-fisted teen romance and a lackluster plot. The mix of Chinese and English voice acting is off-putting and although the military might and special effects are good (if a bit too CGI heavy), it's all too clean and family friendly. The plot is predictable and the characters are undeveloped, but the finale is pretty epic and exciting.

• Oct 08, 2020

5 stars if you watch it as a comedy, but the movie is not a comedy. Do the whole team has a little bit knowledge of science? Do they know there's such thing as "gravity"? Oh yes, they know, because earth was pulled in by Jupiter, but all the retarded scientists in the future do not know.... The whole movie has not logic and no science basics. Should not be classified as sci-fi movie.

• May 19, 2020

DONT WASTE YOUR TIME, total ripoff of movies like Independence Day and Enders Game. The storyline sucks and lack of emotions.

• Mar 10, 2020

It is not a bad movie, so first, the good: - the actors are decent enough - the SFX, wardrobe, and real world items are done well - the CGI is really good most of the time, except for some of the air combat The not so good: - it lacks any real sense of investment in the characters - the premise/setting is pretty generic and seems to take whole cloth from a number of Anime's and of (a near total rip-off even) 1996 Independence Day - it is in Mandarin with subtitles, even though for about 5-10% of the dialogue it is dubbed into English (whenever the UNDC suits are around it seems, no idea why) The bad: Story/Plot Humanity has been fighting an alien attacker for years; long enough to develope armed drone fleets, force fields, a new fighter/command plane, mobile artillery, energy weapons, and yet still gives its infantry small calibre small arms that cannot even scratch the enemy drop troops armoured hides. The "Mother Ship" keeps appearing and disappearing from above cities without the humans tracking it to see where it goes or to, i don't know, know if it is in range to attack so they do not have to keep the shield up 24/7. The Great Cannon cannot track the mother ship because of the strikes to the cuppula (apparently), and has no visual aiming system, but can track the IR signature of a human fighter in a swarm of 100's or 1000's of drones and weapons fire. Did Michael Bay consult? It was a visually exciting movie, but feels hollow.

• Jan 09, 2020

Awesome movie ‼️‼️‼️

Awesome movie ‼️‼️‼️

• Dec 06, 2019

um filme de ficção muito bem elaborado, ação do inicio ao fim, quem gosta d ficção , está ai um filme p ver

• Dec 02, 2019

Preposterous. A very silly copy of "Independence Day". Nothing makes sense, neither the whole story, nor any of the small decisions made by anybody. The characterization is very wooden and does not fit well into the main narrative. It all feels like a film student's last year project, though with a lot of money thrown in as it has very good expensive CGI. And, last but not least, although I am a European, I don't mind American chauvinism in films (such as in "Independence Day"). I mean, despite its chauvinism, if its well made and entertaining, I enjoy hollywood blockbusters. Maybe we are already very used to it, and since we share a similar western culture it does not feel very alien, as my own country's chauvinism would be very similar. But the type of Chinese chauvinism in this movie feels very alien, and I don't think I would ever be able to obviate it and identify with it as if it were my own country's. Their political values are just too different in contrast to those of our western democracies.

• Nov 07, 2019

Yes, it has some similarities to movies like Independence Day, but, I would insist that its better than many current US based scifi movies.