Shanghai Kiss - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shanghai Kiss Reviews

October 19, 2013
The lighting in this movie is well placed making for a beautiful image experience. Actors are cute and cuddly giving a smooth acting profile that portrays a characterization that is fun and authentic. Locations are a little bland considering the cities visited so this is more about the focus on the human aspect which lessens the visual quality. Nibbles: Peking duck and Pancakes.
September 16, 2013
There is one thing i love on this movie. That is looking at what i call the most beautiful girl on this planet earth; Hyden Panettiere.
February 6, 2013
I don't know why I enjoyed this film so much I guess because of its feel good nature. The cast are wonderful, even Panettiere in a weak character role seems to pull it off. The actual plot seems a little wrong, older guy and quite young girl making a connection, but by the end of this film you forget the age difference and see only the chemistry between these two characters and actors. Ken Leung was amazing in the lead and played his role flawlessly, he drew me into this story.

The screenplay is great, a beautiful blend of humour and drama make this a wonderful romantic dramedy that brought many a smile to my face. The story is honest and realistic (maybe bar the ending) and it wont be long before I watch this one again. Highly recommend this charming film.
January 2, 2013
Good intentions, decent story, ok acting and quite a lot of heart. In the end it doesn't reach all the way, but it has its moments.
December 27, 2012
Pretty funny DVD, AMWF film with Hayden.. YES PLEASE! not so believable in real life because she dates pro boxers and other muscle heads
November 13, 2012
horrible title, ---- but what a surpise! asian woody allen!
August 25, 2012
One of my favorite movies
June 18, 2012
A movie with an Asian male lead that's not doing martial arts. A nice try.
April 14, 2012
About love through divided culture and age gap.
½ January 6, 2012
Shanghai Kiss exceeded my expectations. It took on two very human problems pretty nicely-racial identity and having a relationship with a large age gap. The alcoholic father presented another issue that the movie tackled, but I felt that it focused more on the first two. Ken Leung did a fantastic job as a young second-generation Chinese guy in America struggling to find direction and purpose in his life, while participating in a reluctant relationship with a sixteen year old girl who is far wiser beyond her years. Hayden Panettiere did a great job as Adelaide. David Ren and Kern Konwiser did a fine job with this picture, Liam's existential struggle and search for identity was well portrayed through his escapades in L.A. and Shanghai. There were some nice dialogues and moving scenes, overall a good drama.
December 15, 2011
A really sweet love story about not knowing what you have until it's nearly too late! Panettiere was gorgeous as always and convincingly portrayed a light bubbly teenager who always looks on the bright side. A great film.
December 15, 2011
October 12, 2011
this was one of those films that at times brought me to tears, performances we top notch as you really feel for Liam and his decisions between his love for Adelaide his relationship with his drunken father. The films message to show that love is not bound by age is really shown as Liam races back to expressive his love for Adelaide. Must buy for anybody who loves romantic comedies.
½ September 28, 2011
Liam (Ken Leung), an Asian American struggling to find acting gigs in LA, befriends smart 16 year old Addy (Hayden Panetierre). When his grandmother dies he flies to Shanghai to sell her house where he falls for a local woman (Kelly Hu). Shanghai Kiss starts strongly and breezes along amiably enough for its first half. However after Liamâ(TM)s initial trip to the Far East it rather falls apart â" I just donâ(TM)t buy the relationship between Liam and Addy (itâ(TM)s just creepy!) and it undermines the filmâ(TM)s hamfisted message that love conquers all. A shame as the tone and pacing are spot on, Leungâ(TM)s performance is understated, and the Shanghai scenes offer a welcome contrast to Beverly Hills.
August 11, 2011
good movie about falling in love
April 28, 2011
Love the little girl
March 6, 2011
Not what I was expecting to be sure. With Panettiere in it, I had my daughter watching with me as she's a fan - the sex scene near the beginning just about caused me to turn it off. However, that scene was really the only thing I had major objections to - and the nudity was not needed in my opinion. This is a love story; not a typical love story, but a story of endearing love that wins out in the end. Uplifting at times, depressing at others just like life. Trouble is I was in the mood for a rom-com, and this only loosely fits the bill since there is very little comedy. Worth watching though.
February 12, 2011
Cute movie, somewhat predictable. Hayden Panetierre was adorable. Ken Leung came on late in the movie.
January 29, 2011
holy crap. this movie is unexpectedly good. at first its like. WTF WHY DID I EVEN CONSIDER WTACHING THAT?! o yah. cuz kelly hu is hot (or was). but ya. wow. give it a shot. you will probably have no idea what its trying to say. nice development
January 28, 2011
Panettiere was way too bubbly/sugary sweet. Ken Leung was alright as an Asian New Yorker, who several times kind of showed the mannerisms of Woody Allen. Ken as Liam struggles with dating. The dialog sounded like it came from a film school assignment trying to sound smart by dropping classic film quotes and trying to be "real" and idiosyncratically L.A. with all the women Liam picks up. It didn't hold my attention. I hit the fast forward, as it were, on Hulu several times.