Shanghai Noon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shanghai Noon Reviews

October 16, 2016
It was funny enough to keep me entertained but nothing unique, especially at a time saturated with buddy-comedies and Jackie Chan.
½ July 16, 2016
Set in a different location and time period than most action comedies, but other than that, it's not really anything special.
½ July 3, 2016
Very entertaining , growing frienship ...good jokes , cool action ! SOMDVD
½ May 2, 2016
Fast paced, and silly, a product of the turn of the century and a showcase once again for Jackie Chan as a "buddy cop"
April 27, 2016
When I first saw this as a kid, I laughed a lot and loved every minute of it. Many years later, nothing has changed my mind about the film at all
½ April 20, 2016
Still holds up well...I am glad they are making a thrid one
April 17, 2016
Jackie and Owen have a a unique chemistry. It's not romance, but it's just something else.
February 22, 2016
Pretty cool comedy...check it out.
February 1, 2016
Great mixture of western kung fu and comedy, Full of good action and funny humour, Owen Wilson and Jackie Chan were great together.
½ November 17, 2015
"Shanghai Noon" is a Western/martial arts film. It's exactly what you expect. Add in Jackie Chan and Owen Wilson as the lead actors and it becomes even more predictable. The excellent play on words contained in the title is an overture for the comedy that follows. The plot is simple but effective as two opposite men are placed into a situation in which it is natural for them to pair up to save the day. Why not also represent the Buddy-Cop genre as they work together to save the day. Fans of Westerns and martial arts films will enjoy the many tongue-in-cheek nods to these genres. And fear not, they do mispronounce Princess Pei-Pei's name as Pee-Pee, but only once to keep it from getting old. The acting isn't anything special but it matches the expectation of a comedy. Personally, I prefer "Rush Hour" but "Shanghai Noon" is a nice departure from Jackie Chan's typical films.
October 26, 2015
Does this movie have a story? Yes, but it's kinda dumb. Still, the movie itself is entertaining as hell, and Chan teaming up with Wilson might be the best decision since teaming him up with Tucker. One of the most rewatchable movies I've ever watched.
September 5, 2015
Pretty good actioner cum ha-ha when a Chinese palace guard (Chan) ventures to the Old West to save a kidnapped princess (Liu). Wilson primary purpose is to hold the hands of the American audience to take us through this adventure ("don't be nervous, here's an American face to console you in the face of all these Chinese faces", which would be sort of an insult were it not grounded in so much truth), which is to say his role is entirely unnecessary. Moving right along, the film is a very different Western indeed. Chan interacts with some Indian tribes, for instance, some positively, some not (action ensues), and you don't see that much in any film, much less a Western. Then he meets the locals at a Wild West saloon (action ensues) all to ultimately address the touchy issue of forced Oriental labor for the railroads. Its a lot meatier than its action comedy roots. And the action, typical ala Chan, is inspired.
August 29, 2015
We need goofball movies like this to keep us all honest. Wonderful cinematography, great costume design, comic acting was spot on. Not for folks who don't like slapstick. Great for those of us who love to see feet & fists beat out bullets.
August 20, 2015
Wilson and Chan deliver hilarious scenes with well timed action and comedy. It's handle well enough to be a great buddy comedy in the west.
August 14, 2015
Don't ask me why I decided to watch this movie last night, but I did. As far as Jackie Chan's US expedition, this might actually be one of the best, if not the best. I'd honestly have to watch the first Rush Hour to make that distinction. I'm not even bothering with Rush Hour 2 or 3, because it's obvious that those aren't any good, particularly Rush Hour 3. Anyway, this is clearly not one of Jackie's best as it relates to action or out of this world stunts, but it does offer a good alternative to that. With that said, I do think the film spends its sweet time getting to where Jackie and Owen team up with each other, but I still enjoyed everything leading up to that. I will say that, if you're watching on Netflix, and are using the English subtitles, there are lines of dialogue spoken in Mandarin and Sioux that will not be translated into English. So unless you know mandarin or Sioux, you will not understand what they're saying in any of these scenes. They do, however, show the translations if you used the Spanish subtitles instead of the English ones. Good thing I come from a Spanish-speaking island. But talk about annoying, it actually took me like 30 minutes before I figured this out. It's not like the first 30 minutes are all in Mandarin and Sioux, but there's still a good chunk of the film that people who only speak English will not be able to pick up on, unless Netflix fixes the English subtitles. Don't even know why I pointed that out, I guess it just really annoyed the shit out of me. With that said, it's not like I have much to say about this. It's an older movie that isn't really what you would call memorable. With that said, I did think Jackie's action scenes were probably closer to what he would actually do in Hong Kong than he managed to do on this side of the world. Not that Rush Hour didn't have some of that, but I just think there's more of it here. And there's some solid chemistry between Owen and Jackie, there's the usual, goofy banter and the growing respect between the two that have been cliches in these films forever, but I found it entertaining regardless. This is the type of movie that you'll see playing on your local cable channel at 6pm right before the primetime shows come on. It's something that might even be used as background noise. I've probably even used this film as background noise while I do something else, but it is a fun little movie. It's nothing special and, 15 years later, it's not like anyone actually remembers this. I still think this is a pretty good movie all things considered. I'd recommend it if you have Netflix, it's that type of movie. Fun stuff that's very easy to watch.
August 12, 2015
Jackie at his usual. Funny.
June 7, 2015
Jackie Chan is basically the shit
½ May 27, 2015
The buddy action comedy lies on the chemistry between the two leads and here it works well in one of Chan's best performances.
½ May 22, 2015
So much fun! Such a unique blend of the western and martial arts genres. Very clever. Jackie Chan and Owen Wilson are hilarious together.