Shao Lin da peng da shi (Master Killer II)(Return to the 36th Chamber) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shao Lin da peng da shi (Master Killer II)(Return to the 36th Chamber) Reviews

½ December 12, 2015
Let's see what else I can do.

A small town is filled with dye workers that are overtaken by the Manchu who come in with their own dye workers and quickly put the town folk out of business. A man pretending to be a Shaolin monk arrives in town and the town folk think they've been saved, but they quickly find out he's a fraud. He agrees to go to the Shaolin temple, truly learn martial arts, and comes back to save them. He is put to various tasks, but nothing he resembles as martial arts. Will the fraud be able to save the people from the Manchu?

"My life is difficult."

Liu Chia-Liang, director of The 36th Chamber of Shaolin, Dirty Ho, Shaolin Mantis, The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter, The Legend of Drunken Master, and Drunken Master Killer, delivers Return of the 36th Chamber. The storyline for this picture isn't a follow up to the previous picture, but a unique plot that isn't as dynamic and entertaining. The action remains excellent and Gordon Liu is awesome in the lead role.

"Most of us steal food now."

I watched this a long time ago and was surprised I never wrote a review for it. This was recently added to Netflix so I decided to watch it again. I enjoyed this movie and always have, but this is a step down from the original and only a classic due to Liu's greatness. This is a must see for martial arts genre fans.

"I'm not a sack of grain."

Grade: B-
October 6, 2012
A lot of fun... follows a similar path to the first movie, but taking a completely different angle. Gordon Liu is a con artist, pretending to be his character from the first movie, but when things get too dangerous, he tries to learn kung fu for real at the Shaolin Temple. He isn't directly taught, but does learn how to fight indirectly, without really knowing, and I love how they do this. It has that typical Liu Chia-Liang zaniness, and I always wish his movies were a bit more serious. I couldn't stand this one guy who had the biggest fake teeth in film history. But man, Liu Chia-Liang was always the best action innovator, and I loved his scaffolding kung fu.
October 12, 2011
An exciting comedy martial arts movie with solid action sequence from Director Chia Liang Liu.Can't judge this is a good sequel yet because I haven't seen the original.Very nice fights at the end,Favorite!!
September 10, 2011
I think this loose sequel to the 36th Chamber of Shaolin is an improvement. Its not brought down by a revenge story, its lighter in tone and about justice and fair wages. An actor sneaks into Shaolin Temple in order to train, so that he can fight unfair Manchurians who have overtaken the dye mill.

Gordon Liu shows his acting range. He does not start off as a badass this time, instead he plays a goofy man who can act and uses it for trouble. When he gets beat up the Manchurians while trying to pass himself off as a powerful monk, he trains for real and becomes a fighting machine.

By adding humour, it adds another dimension. The training scenes are hilarious, and it entertains until the big final finish in a construction zone with scaffolding. A very entertaining martial arts movie.
January 10, 2011
Gordon Liu poses as a monk to fool a factory owner who brings Manchu to work for him & in turn cuts his original staffs wages. They find him out to be a fake & so Liu goes to the Shaolin to learn some kung fu. Sneaking in wasn't as easy as he anticipate. This is very digestible fu that plays like a comedy most of the time like when Liu spikes some tea so he can give someone the shits so he can steals his vegetable baskets to sneak into Shaolin. Even when you get to the final showdown Liu is quipping wise.
November 14, 2010
The second movie of the trilogy. Another classic kung fu movie, as good as the first one :)
October 11, 2010
It's plot and drama are not as good as the first one (of course it is a comedy), and the manner in which our hero learns Shaolin Kung Fu (by teaching himself while scaffolding) is a little too improbable. However, the final twenty minutes of this movie feature fight choreography so fresh, original and inventive, that I highly recommend this to anyone. Lau Kar Leung is a master of the Kung Fu film.
½ July 21, 2010
The most bizarre sequel I've ever seen. Set in a parallel universe, instead of Liu going through the 35 chambers and creating the 36th, he learns kung fu vicariously while scaffolding. Someone else plays San Te (his role from the first movie), while Liu is a conman. Instead of sneaking into the temple in a barrel of vegetables Liu gives a monk laxative and takes the monk's vegetable yolk. The scaffolding kung fu is a nice deviation from the norm, as are the benches. A Shaw classic.
May 10, 2010
A strange sequel to "The 36th Chamber of Shaolin." Gordon Liu stars once again, but as a completely different character than he played in the first film. Much of the film is played for laughs, so the story comes off as a bit goofy. But the elaborate 20 minute fight sequence that closes the film is well worth the wait.
April 17, 2010
Sequel is completely different in tone then the original and plays most of the proceedings for laughs. In a clever twist, Gordon Liu plays a bumbling con artist who impersonates Liu's character from the first film to sneak into the Shaolin temple to learn martial arts. There's a lot of slapstick until he sharpens his skills enough to return to his village and teach a lesson to the thugs who are strong-arming his friends. The comedy can be heavy handed at times but it's silly fun and the fight scenes are of the quality you expect from The Shaw Brothers and Gordon Liu.
½ April 5, 2010
A kinda pseudo-sequel to The 36th Chamber of Shaolin, with Gordon Liu "returning" to the Shaolin temple, as a completely different character. It has some interesting kung fu but a weak as hell villain. Really just a showcase for Liu's martial arts skill. You'll never look at scaffolding the same way again!
½ March 4, 2010
Instead of opting to follow the further exploits of San Te, Lau Kar Leung did something far more intelligent with this follow-up to THE 36th CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN, opting instead to follow another hero who ends up using the 36th Chamber, created by San Te in the first movie, to train himself to crush more injustice caused by Manchus. Gordon Liu returns, not reprising his role as San Te, instead playing an entirely different protagonist, a hustler who impersonates San Te in order to intimidate Manchurians into paying the workers fair wages at his brother's dye factory. When he is found out, he vows to learn martial arts at the 36th Chamber and return to defeat them. RETURN TO THE 36th CHAMBER is entirely different in tone to its predecessor, which was a mostly serious movie that focused on martial arts philosophy. Here, what we get is mostly a comedy. The story is light, there are lots of well-executed physical comedy set-pieces, and the movie doesn't focus so much on the nature of martial arts. It's a good sequel in that it doesn't imitate the original, and goes in a different direction and is mostly successful. Admittedly, the training by building scaffolding isn't terribly exciting, and the final battle with stools is a bit weird, but entertaining. It gets a hearty recommendation to fans of the original.
January 25, 2009
Viewer beware, this is a kung fu comedy. With REALLY good fight action in the second half. Recommended.
December 21, 2008
A sort of spirital sequel to "36th Chamber", and i'll have to say that with better rythim and more fluid. The approach is more on the light/comic side, but the fights kick equal ass.
½ September 24, 2008
This film stares Gordon Liu again, but he doesn't play the same character, and it takes place after the 36th chamber is already established. What makes this flick stand out though it that it adds comedy, and it kinda of like a rebutal (sp?) or like the flip-side of the first one.
I don't want to give it away, so I'll stop there, but, even though the first holds it's own, it may be said that the final pay-off in this one is a lot more satisfying. It's more drawn out, and because, partly, of the comedy the stunts and fantastic.
July 27, 2008
very good continuation from master killer I,more fighting this time
½ May 16, 2008
i love this movie!!! very interesting to see the fusion of kung fu with bamboo work! and learning kung fu but he didn't know he was actually learning :p
March 3, 2008
I have to say that this sequel of The 36th Chamber of Shaolin don't be so great as the original, at least from my perspective.

Is just the comedy and ridiculous situations don't feel so cool as the drama of the first part.

But anyway, forgetting this, the action sequences are really, really amazing.
½ January 12, 2008
the 1st one was better
December 31, 2007
Definately not as good as the first. It was pretty interesting to some extent and you can never go wrong with a old kung fu movie