Shaolin Master Killer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shaolin Master Killer Reviews

September 19, 2014
An iconic role for an iconic actor. Little known fact: his family did not want him to study kung fu. They told him that kung fu practitioners were rude and unmannered. LOL
½ September 15, 2012
My 9th grade history teacher showed us this movie in class when we were studying China. I don't know why he chose this one, but thank god he did, because this is one of the greatest martial arts movies I have ever seen.
½ June 26, 2012
Magical shots and great culture, however a bit too many fights...
½ June 24, 2012
Fantastic training sequences, especially for 1978.
April 25, 2012
learn about the 36 chambers with Gordon Liu
½ September 19, 2011
Arguably the best Kung Fu flick of all-time. This would be a cool one to remake.
March 17, 2011
one of the greatest kung fu flicks of all time .. what more can i say.. watch this now!!!
September 10, 2010
This is known as 'The 36th Chamber of Shaolin' overseas, and now on DVD here in the states. Like Chang Cheh's 'The One-Armed Swordsman', this is absolutely essential viewing for people getting into old-school Hong Kong cinema. Directed by Lau Kar Leung (who was the choreographer on 'The One-Armed Swordsman'), this is probably the best 'training movie' I've ever seen. Gordon Liu is awesome in the lead role, and it's easy to see why Tarantino tapped him to play two roles in the 'Kill Bill' films. I don't really have much else to say about this movie, except that it's a genre classic and a must-see for fans of Hong Kong film.
½ August 29, 2010
this was a pretty awesome film. they should make more like it
June 23, 2010
Charlie babbit. Which movie?
½ May 5, 2010
one of the greatest kung fu movies of all times
March 17, 2010
great Kung Fu movie and the origin of many of the samples used in The Wu-tang clans music. the training scenes are amazing!
February 9, 2010
An all-time classic, one of first martial arts films I ever saw and I still enjoy watching it after over ten years.
February 2, 2010
I'm glad to see after reading these reviews that I'm not the only person who thinks this is the best kung fu flick ever. Gordon Liu is an underrated genius.

It's worth mention that its actual/original title is 'The 36th Chamber of Shaolin'. Viewers are given an intimate look into the experiences of the main character, a victim of Chinese imperialist violence who finds refuge at the Shaolin Temple. Though the mentioned events take you a third of the way into the film, our story has barely begun at this point.

I still remember as a kid bringing this home and watching it in my living room, where my parents were playing scrabble. They started out mocking the movie as mindless violence. 15 minutes in they were mesmerized enough to discontinue their scrabble game and watch it with me.
December 29, 2009
Incredible movie. The pace is only a problem if you're childish and don't know what's going on. Seeing Te rip through each (training) chamber was truly some ill shit. Actually, I'm pretty sure this movie pioneered that motif. I had a feeling kung fu flicks were smart; achievement through great effort (its definition) is a good message. Your standard sociopolitical commentary aside, this movie proves that the best way to kick an oppressive regime's ass is to learn (and teach your whole block) kung fu. Word.

P.S. Damn, I didn't spot any Wu samples after all. Peace to Masta Killa, though.
October 18, 2009
Lucky enough to see this on the big screen! My favorite Kung fu movie of all time!!! Gordan Liu is MAJESTIC. I was drunk and weak kneed with his awesomeness leaving the theater. It's that good.
½ October 15, 2009
This is possibly THE GREATEST Kung-fu movie ever made and being a fan of ENTER THE DRAGON and regarding that for years as the best, I took in a screening during a Martial Arts season at the NFT which showed the original language version with subtitles. It's sequel, RETURN TO THE 36TH CHAMBER, works both as a sequel and as an original film in it's own right, as it has the lead actor lampoon his original role.

The plot involves a petty criminal who hides away in a Shaolin Temple on the run and thus begins to learn the various skills that will turn him into a Shaolin Monk. The goal is the 36th Chamber, which participants have to endure a previous 35 to get to with a series of increasingly impossible disciplines. Naturally you can expect what is going to happen, but the payoff of watching San Te emerge from the Temple and take on people in the town nearby is a joy to behold.

Funny in a non-stereotypical way and with much to appeal to a Western audience, do catch the full two-hour version (UK versions were heavily reduced and I hope that the new version gets new screenings at some point.
October 3, 2009
Not really into martial arts
August 19, 2009
Ridiculous acting, dubbing, sound effects, camera work and atrocious pacing. Miraculously, these qualities and some awesome fighting sequences manage to enhance Shaolin Master Killer, and the end result is one kick ass kung fu flick.
August 12, 2009