Shaolin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shaolin Reviews

November 6, 2016
I don't think I'd ever be saying this, but this would've been a much stronger movie without Jackie Chan. Such whiplash tonal shift whenever he shows up to barely affect the action. Excellent movie about consequences, karma, redemption, and the power of the spirit.
½ April 24, 2016
Chinese compounded traditional martial arts is a fantastic and rather historic form of fighting, more commonly known as Wushu. This is a quite phenomenal mix of literally hundreds of forms and functional techniques in self defense. It of course is exceptionally popular in Asian cinema, and there is always that real sense of watching something unbelievably beautiful that has been passed down from generation to generation.

'Shaolin' brings much of the same fighting styles from previous martial arts films of the last decade. It's hard to compare it to anything I have seen in recent years. I found the movie to be quite enjoyable, if a rather typical ride for most fans of Chinese Cinema. There is the typical overuse of wired stunts, which gives that somewhat graceful 'float' effect on their jumps and movements. When it's just down to the choreography of Jackie Chan and Andy Lao it is actually quite breathtaking to watch the seemingly effortless way they move their bodies in a whirlwind of fists and kicks.

The story line is a rather serious topic for most films that come out of most successful communist country in the world. Most movies that come out of this part of the world are written, and re-written as to represent history in such a way that the government would approve of. This usually leads into a lot of fictionalization, just like any Hollywood drama. For example they leave out a lot of the history related to how many Shaolin Temples were destroyed over and over again in China's history, from the 16th century to even more modern times when rural warlords/generals set fire to monasteries throughout the country. The religious persecution during the communist cultural revolution still affects what can and cannot be shown in Chinese cinema, especially with religious themed films.

Anyways, it is a beautiful movie to watch, some excellent dramatic moments through the whole thing, and very well acted. Most definitely one of my favorite movies out of China in the last decade.

3.5/5
½ October 3, 2015
Maybe this one just isn't for me. Could be that I feel like I've seen it all before. It's a collection of excellent material taken from other films from "Shaolin Temple" to "Iron Monkey" to "Running on Karma". Strange movie. Seemed big-budget even by American standards! It's mind-blowing to view. However, it's largely unaffecting. Highly depressing and unenjoyable. Characters needed much more work. I don't know what I was expecting but this was not what I wanted, despite a great director and mind-blowing cast (Wu Jing, Xiong Xin Xin, Nich Tse, Chan and Lau) I think the directing was a success but the script is a failure. Everything else varies (action, acting, drama vs melodrama)
May 27, 2015
Super production China with action scenes, many action scenes mean. With nice comic moments, good production design, good acting, good direction in the action sequences, but ultimately full of cliches of the genre that make it all comes down.
½ May 18, 2015
Just when you thought the acting was already way over the top, its Cantonese dubbing went even farther.
½ January 29, 2015
This was a very good movie. As with most Chinese made movies, the costumes, set design, scenery were all beautiful. The Chinese have a good sense of drama. Great action, special affects. Everything they do is in a grand scale. The story is also very good. Basically of redemption, and thirst for power on the other hand.
January 25, 2015
Im not sure what to think about that movie a idea is very good the story too but there is something that miss . The movie show how a person can be forced by life to change his principles and his beliefs.The Director show us also how tough can be the life of change and how for a blink of an eye you can lose everything and start over .I think that's a movie which deserve to check
January 24, 2015
January 6, 2015
I loved this. It was poetic and deep on so many levels. It was well balanced between the drama, the story and the emotional impact that it had on me. This can easily be described as a cinematic masterpiece. Great acting all around. The movie is overall great poetry. The kung fu was beautiful to watch. Fabulous story. Well executed. The cinematography was exceptional. Jackie Chan was great. I have nothing bad to say about this movie whatsoever. It was worth every minute and I think that I will watch it again one day.
December 25, 2014
This movie is a epic kung-fu blockbuster. It has everything for everyone: drama, story, comedy and of course outstanding kungfu! ! A general who lost his army and his family seeks refuge and redemption in a Shaolin temple. I was very impressed with the acting and the story. A must see for any crazy ass kungfu fan! !
½ July 5, 2014
Pretty ambitious feel and a pretty good one at that, but it's a little too Shaolin propaganda-ish. And although I like the idea of Shaolin being able to change evil, the time in which it takes is unrealistic.

Films has got some really good action and decent fight scenes. and the acting is pretty darn good too.
May 19, 2014
now this is martial art good.
April 20, 2014
Wow, what can I say about this film? The first five minutes really sets the tone for the emotional driven film that is Shaolin.

Yes, it has amazing action scenes and superb martial arts choreography, but the best way describe this film in my own interpretation is poetry.

Thus is truly a beautiful, emotional rich film. I love it!
March 16, 2014
Love watching these type of martial arts films with Monks kicking butt in there peaceful styles I also loved the recreation of sets and fashion
The monks training sequences are so in time looks great you just can't wait to see how the bad guys are going to die Great movie
Long movie heaps of Action slow in parts
Also Jackie Chans in this Movie
February 20, 2014
this was a great movie. jackie chan didn't play the lead role a first for any movie he was in. five of five stars. left you wanting a sequal.
February 20, 2014
an amazing acting by nicholas tse and also andy lau ...
February 17, 2014
An epic martial arts masterpiece that is on par with Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.
February 2, 2014
One of the best movies from china
December 26, 2013
superior martial arts flick mixes action with enlightenment. Well acted and heartfelt.
November 28, 2013
Great movie. It shows the true spirit for Shaolin Kung Fu, and it shows what true sacrifice is really about.