Shaolin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shaolin Reviews

October 6, 2013
Movie makes no goddamned sense. But its got Jackie Chan in it so I guess its fine.
October 3, 2013
Good movie, plenty of action scenes to keep you happy, looks great.
½ September 23, 2013
First thing was to watch Andy acts again. I really like this guy. Secondly, it was the plot and some humor made me stay watching. It was predictable story, but the hole can teach you everything about life, love, and honor.
August 11, 2013
I gave 3 stars just for wushu. The story was cruel and far from Buddhism faith, and the set decoration was like modest version of Kung-fu Panda. For better or worse, it was a typical Hong-Kong film.
July 19, 2013
This martial arts movie needed more action, if I remember correctly. Andy Lau and Jackie Chan are awesome, but I remember that it needed less talk, more fighting.
July 18, 2013
wow...what a beautiful martial arts film I've seen since fearless
July 18, 2013
It is very easy to get lost in the blood and violence (which is an excellent part of the film) but behind that is a beautiful film that has a theme of redemption. Jackie Chan also surprised me with his role and excellent ability to make the audience laugh at times.
May 20, 2013
Deceitfully dragged out but the story and combat keeps you interested.
May 14, 2013
The new era kung fu/ wushu film. This movie is fantastic. A phenomenal story with top notch martial arts action. As a life long fan of the genre it is exciting to see such great new movies coming out. A true must watch film.
May 1, 2013
Really excellent foreign film. Jackie Chan is in the film. I was surprised how good it is.
½ March 27, 2013
If you are happy to swallow 'Communist' propaganda, this is a fun film. If you are looking for realism, emotinal engagement, or historical accuracy, look elsewhere.
March 4, 2013
an amazing movie about forgiveness, compassion and sacrifice among the great life that was "Shaolin"
February 14, 2013
Great movie. Really touching story about a man with rage that finds inner peace. Jackie Chan is classic in it with a small role.
½ February 11, 2013
To put it crudely, it can be titled 'Dances With Shaolin'. But it is indeed a well produced film and Andy Lau's performance does not disappoint. The focus seems more on the Shaolin philosophy and less of the kung-fu action.
February 10, 2013
Wonderfully done awesome movie. Jackie Chan was a great addition to this movie and added some light hearted moments to it as well.
½ February 5, 2013
Hell. Yeah. Looking forward to this one.
February 3, 2013
Very well done!! A bit disappointed Jackie Chan didn't have a bigger part, but over all for a Martial Arts movie it's amazing that the martial arts is secondary to the story. The characters are all fascinating and the story is great! A must see!
½ January 24, 2013
The world's school of martial arts

Brothers in arms team together to bring down a rising warlord; however, one of the brother does not appreciate the plans of the other brother and makes plans to kill him. During the assassination, a man in the brother's command has teamed with the rising warlord in hopes of killing both brothers. One of the brothers survives and escapes the village and begs for the aid of the Shaolin monks. Will they help him and how much will be sacrificed in the process?

"Never kill in front of our daughter."

Benny Chan, director of Jackie Chan Who Am I, New Police Story, Divergence, Robin-B-Hood, Connected, and City Under Siege, delivers Shaolin. The storyline for this picture is very good, compelling, and unpredictable. Even the conclusion goes in a direction I did not anticipate. The martial arts is B+/A- quality and the acting is very solid. The cast includes Andy Lau, Jackie Chan, Jacky Wu, Nicholas Tse, and Bingbing Fan.

"Men, when not clear headed, are worse than pigs."

Shaolin was a movie I randomly came across while scrolling through Jackie Chan pictures and was delighted to discover it starred two of my favorites, Andy Lau and Jacky Wu. The martial arts in this picture were just okay but the storyline, primary plot, and sub plots were very good and I adored the script. This movie is definitely worth your time (and available on Netflix).

"That was for my daughter. Buddha be praised."

Grade: A-
½ December 24, 2012
Way better than expected, good action and deeper than most martial arts movies!
December 8, 2012
This movie was excellent. Great story, fantastic direction great acting. Buddha be praised.