Tang lang (Shaolin Mantis) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tang lang (Shaolin Mantis) Reviews

October 8, 2016
Directed by Lau Kar-leung, this film tells the story of a man who learns martial arts by observing a praying mantis (because that's how you learn martial arts, right?). Oh, and he does have to learn this new technique in order to get revenge (of course). Like most films directed by Lau Kar-leung, this one features some excellent old school style fight sequences that make it well worth watching.
½ June 8, 2015
This underrated martial arts flick stars David Chiang as a scholar turned spy against a potential threat in the form of a family. Things gets complicated when he falls for their daughter, and then he must fight his way out.

The movie is very good, with an excellent plot and musical score. The fight scenes are very well staged, especially the first round. David Chiang and his wife must fight three uncles, the mother, and grandfather in order to leave the family home. The fights move along swiftly, with a build up to more talented fighters.

The plot gets a bit messy at the end, and seems a bit rushed. We see the main character's real motivation at the end, and by then its too late. Some stuff comes out of nowhere and its all very moot, but the weapons fighting is the real highlight of the movie.
September 9, 2012
Actress Huang Hsin-Hsiu really commands the majority of this film. A beautiful and skilled actress/martial artist. It seems to be strictly a drama, interspersed with fight scenes, but towards the end a hero retreats to the wilderness and discovers a mantis and adopts its fighting style. I really loved this one. Great sets, as always amazing choreography and the acting was outstanding.
February 24, 2011
awesome mantis scenes & finale, starring David Chiang (Once Upon a Time in China II / Shaolin Abbott / One Armed Swordsmen), & more..
½ November 23, 2010
See, the description above works just fine for this, especially for a David Chiang movie. The one on the Dragon Dynasty case might be a bit more eye catching but describes spoilers from late in the film. So I found myself expecting certain major events to happen, with no real knowledge of how the film would even start. But anyway... loved it, haha, of course! Liu Chia-Liang never disappoints, and his leading man is by far my favorite of the era this time.
March 2, 2010
The actual praying mantis is the star of this movie LOL. Just kidding. Once again-- won't give away the ending!
September 1, 2009
Réalisé par Maitre Liu Chia-Liang (= de nombreux et tres bons combats) cette réadaptation d'une vielle histoire est une réussite ((totale)). De bons acteurs, pleins de combats de qualité et une trame sympathiquement tragique....

Un excellent film de divertissement en some.
May 29, 2008
this is awsome . the scene with the mantis is priceless and the fighting is tops .
April 21, 2008
My dad loved this movie.
January 12, 2008
Sort of disappointing kung fu flick that wastes Lily Li. The best fight sequence I think is the final one where David Chiang's character finally uses Mantis style. Not as good as Venom Mob films.
August 22, 2007
its new, its mine, the mantis!
July 16, 2007
This is the first Shaw Bros movie I saw and it is definitely my favourite. The martial arts is just so awesome in this. There's hand to hand, sword to sword, bo to bo, 3 stick chain link, to bo. David Chiang's best movie I think. Not only is the martial arts awesome, but it is also quite quirky and witty. As Chiang's student who is a stubborn and nosey, but pretty young chinese girl, inadvertedly falls in love with him as he masquerades as a teacher to infiltrate a family bent on overthrowing the Emperor. If you like old school martial arts movies. This is one to see.