Sharknado Reviews

½ March 21, 2015
This was the absolute worst. Just...no.
MANUGINO
August 11, 2014
We're gonna need a bigger chopper!

Funny Movie but just a bad overall movie! Let me just say that I watched this movie to be entertained not enthralled or hanging on the edge of my seat but just distracted and carefree for a couple of hours. I got what I wanted. Only, I didn't expect to laugh so much. I'm thankful for the laughter, though, because it kept at bay any sort of aesthetic sense that might have interfered with my viewing pleasure. If you want to be moderately entertained, then I don't think you will be disappointed with Sharknado. Don't expect too much going into it-and bring with you a willingness to suspend your own sense of disbelief. Most important, keep in mind that this is not Jaws. I don't think that fact will slip you mind, however. The director made sure of it.

When a freak hurricane swamps Los Angeles, nature's deadliest killer rules sea, land, and air as thousands of sharks terrorize the waterlogged populace.
July 24, 2013
"Sharknado" takes everything that is good even in the worst of films, throws it out the window, and does whatever it feels like doing. This is not a movie, but a parody on Hollywood films, and the dialogue in the film, along with the deaths, speak that to it's audience, and if you are not a big film fan I'm pretty sure this film will make you rip your head off, due to it's god awful visuals and horrific acting. I felt like I let a doctor physically enter my mind and take out any brain cells I had left. From helicopters easily flying directly beside tornados to people stating the obvious, this is (even though one of the worst films ever) one of the most enjoyable films I've watched this year, but for all the wrong reasons. This film is terrible gold!
skactopus
½ July 27, 2014
The title alone is worthy of jokes and Anthony C. Ferrante's Sharknado is a joke.The movie is a complete bore. The film is about a tornado of sharks and that doesn't happen to about an hour in. On top of that, the story is only 85 minutes long. A "sharknado" is unrealistic enough, who cares about building up to make it seem realistic. Just go with the damn thing.The film style is extremely inconsistent. The CG is poor and back to back scenes that don't match fill the picture from the first to last scene. Flooding here, not flooding the next. Highly annoying.There isn't much to say about the acting. Ian Ziering somehow manages to show that he at least partially is into the story. On a side note, Cassie Scerbo is a hottie.Sharknado sounds like a thrill ride, but it's the exact opposite. Take it seriously or not, there is slim to none laughs to be had.
cosmo313
January 14, 2014
I've heard a lot about The Asylum, but this was my first time actually watching one of their products.

What we get here is a ludicrously ridiculously scenario of nature run amok. A massive storm brings a vast number of vicious man eating sharks to Los Angeles, and the film follows a particular group of people trying to survive this dire situation.

So right off the bat I have to say that, while yes, there is the titular sharknado (shark/tornado hybrid), the main force is actually a hurricane, and not a tornado.

And yeah, I realize that this is a tongue in cheek type of film that is bad by design, but even then, I can't help but emphasize that it is a quite terrible film.

That being said, it is very entertaining, rather funny, and not a complete waste of time. It's not always 'good' or 'enjoyable' for the right reasons, but there is a certain charm here that makes this film something to check out and unwind to.

The acting, special effects, direction, and writing are all bad, but the idea, as stupid and absurd as it is, is actually kind of intriguing, despite the fact that it isn't entirely possible (though there IS a slim chance that it could actually take place). While watching this I actually started thinking about how this actually good be a legitimately decent film if done a different way, and yeah, I'm dead serious about that.

For what it is, this film does have its merits, and at least is aware of what kind of product it is. It's not something I ever want to see again, and I do think that not everyone will 'get' this, but I do think that if you need to give your brain a rest, then sure, get some friends and some booze, and give this a spin.
TomBowler
½ January 1, 2014
Wow. Good lord. This is either the worst movie ever or.... nope. It's pretty damn close. Full review later.
366weirdmovies
½ November 19, 2013
Global warming causes shark migrations and storms with heavy winds that pick up angry sharks and hurl them through the streets of L.A. The Asylum has quite the scam going here; they turn out ridiculous, shoddy shark movies as fast as they can and pass them off as camp.
garyX
August 20, 2013
Freak weather conditions cause man-eating sharks to be washed inland in huge numbers. I have to give props to whoever thought of the name "Sharknado", but the ridiculous title is easily the best aspect of the film. Beyond the amusingly daft premise, Sharknado is nothing more than an inept, straight to DVD disaster flick that plays out like a cross between Jaws 3D and a particularly banal episode of Baywatch. Plotting is minimal, the performances weak even by monster B-movie standards and dialogue absolutely laughable. But by far the biggest flaw in Sharknado is that it actually has the gall to take itself seriously; it's not played for laughs at all and once you get past some hilariously awful special effects, it gets more and more dull as it goes. I'm all for trashy B-movie monster mashes in principal, but Sharknado is just plain boring.
Ps Here are some ideas for some potentially superior spin offs to Sharknado: Shih Tzunami, Snakequake, Weevilcano, Llamageddon, Giraffalanche, Piranhanami & my personal fave: Pythoon.
TheDudeLebowski65
August 18, 2013
Sharknado is a mediocre low budget schlock fest that is intentionally made to look like crap. The result is a bad movie that is quite fun, but nonetheless looks awful with bad acting and directing. The result is a bad movie that will certainly appeal to bad movie fans and anyone looking for mindless entertainment garbage. Sharknado is definitely not a good movie, but what it does well is being a stupid, mindless thrill ride from start to finish. This film should only be seen if you have nothing else better to do, and it is better seen with a group of friends over as of beer. Other than that, you're sure going to dislike the film. The cast is comprised of has beens, and they don't deliver anything good on-screen, due to the poorly written out script. The result here is very flawed and hilarious. Despite the fact that Sharknado is a bad movie, I didn't hate it. If you want to have a good laugh, and then give this one a shot, but remember, go into this one with an open mind as it is ridiculous and quite frankly unbelievable. Sharknado works well as a midnight movie due to its premise and off the wall plot. This is a bad movie, but nonetheless it is worth seeing due to its ridiculous ideas and pure popcorn entertainment value. This is not a film to take seriously whatsoever. This is bad in every sense of the work, but quite enjoyable for its camp, tongue in cheek value. Worth checking out with friends, Sharknado is pure crap, but lots of fun at the same time.
Cinema-Maniac
July 30, 2013
Ever since the release of masterpiece Jaws in 1975 many killer sharks films over the decades have copied its formula. With a majority of these shark films tending to be B-Movies slightly altering the sharks whether it be able to swim in sand, snow, give it two heads, fight a walking tank and crawl on land, and so forth with no success. Often being compared to Jaws which to be honest no killer shark film can match. The latest film from The Asylum brings something dumb, but original to the table that never aspire to be Jaws thus leaving the viewer carefree and satisfied for 90 minutes.

Sharknado takes place during a freak hurricane in Los Angeles with nature's deadliest killer rampaging by sea, land, and air as thousands of sharks terrorize the waterlogged populace. If you're expecting developed characters, emotional content, edge of the seat material than you've come to the wrong movie. Right off the with the opening scene we see a Hurricane for reasons never explained only gathering up a group of sharks. This opening scene sets up the tone for what will be a straightforward B-Movie. The characters are basically plot devices to move things forward. We get a couple details on their past, but only those specifics are used repeating established developments several times. The pace works for the premise getting the action started quickly and trying to do as many ridiculous things as possible. It's completely logic free; some examples include Sharks being able to swim on streets, the inside of a house flooding faster than an entire city, and my personal favorite include our plain father hero miraculously killing a shark spinning in a Hurricane in one shot with a handgun. Once the sharks show up on screen you just sit back without a care, but the scenes without sharks are clearly it biggest faults. Like I said earlier, the characters are plot devices to move things forward. Once these character are stuck in a situation without a single shark in sight we lose interest. Their motivations and back-stories have been done a thousand time (child angry at father for neglectance, divorce couple working together during extreme circumstances) ending the way you would expect them too. Also it hits a roadblock when our heroes attempt to save a bus filled with children. It does recover eventually and pick steam again, but loses a good chuck of momentum it build up.

In terms of acting it's fine. While not convincing by a long stretch it's not without it positives. The actors never feel like they're phoning in a performance even at times taking certain scenes seriously. This adds more amusement to selling it enough for the audience to buy the what occurring on film. Especially leading man Ian Ziering who while not good by any means does get to be a badass in the film. Ziering gets to chainsaw a shark in half which is pretty cool regardless how goofy the context may be. Another standout is actress Cassie Scerbo who at first glance appears to be only eye candy, but gets her moment to shine shotgun blasting several sharks to death. The not so special effects are appropriately low budget looking. The CG might be obviously look fake no matter how much you squint your eyes, but it is certainly put to good use in particular one moment near the end which could be the film iconic moment B-Movie lovers rewatch over again.

Sharknado will never be like Jaws, but unlike so many other killer shark films it never tries to be. If you go into this with reasonable expectations looking for a straightforward plot, goofy usage of CG, and a hunger to see dozen of sharks kill you will be happy with the results. It might be a B-Movie, but it's certainly one of the fews killer sharks film worth picking up.
½ September 24, 2013
Why?
½ September 7, 2013
I can declare 'Sharknado' (2013) to be the most retarded movie I have seen in a while, however at the same time I can declare it to be one of the most amusing movies I have seen in a while. Allow me to explain: it has implausible acting and atrocious special effects, mostly everything about this movie is so bad... it's good, and unintentionally hilarious.
½ October 17, 2013
This is a special effects nightmare! I believe this is the worst premise for a movie I have ever seen. What a mess!
August 15, 2014
With a tile like Sharknado, you're going to expect the film to be so dumb, so over the top and so hilariously bad that you find yourself enjoying it. Not don't get me wrong, as a regular film it's bad. It's an over the top story, blan acting, cheep looking and horrible effects and most of the film doesn't make any sense what's so over. But you will laugh at it's cheesy dialogue, over the top moments and when the film is trying to to be serious at times, you can't help but laugh because it's over dramatic. So if you watch this as a regular film, you'll hate it. But if you view it as a comedy, you'll love it.
August 4, 2014
The only reason I'm giving this a three-star rating is because of the entertainment value. The acting, CGI, and plot are ridiculously bad, but it's fun nonetheless. What pushed the movie into the decent category is a fantastic cameo by Robbie Rist, who is Michelangelo in the live action TMNT movies in the 90s!
August 3, 2014
I almost felt like some kind of a traitor to decent entertainment for watching this, but I couldn't tear myself away. It's definitely one of those "so bad, it's good" films that just should not work at all, but somehow do for all their efforts not to. Clearly it's not something you can take seriously, but if you're looking for a good laugh, you will find it here.
July 31, 2014
OMG...This had to be the worst movie ever and they are making a part two. I want whatever they were smoking when they came up with this retarded ass idea, because that is some good sh*t!!! The movie was not...
½ June 17, 2014
Sharknado was absolutely terrible, and not in the it was so bad it was good type of way. A massive hurricane causes sharks to be blown to land as they uncontrollably kill and feast on humans is actually more plot than I gave this film credit for. The movie has its moments and the type of violence and action you won't see in any other film. That is until they undoubtedly release Sharknado 2.