Sharky's Machine - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sharky's Machine Reviews

December 30, 2011
Burt brings back the action as a cop with a call girl under his constant surveillance; an assignment he brings a certain dedication to. Vice must not be hurting for manpower, given the man-hours devoted here on some rather loose evidence. Fine time-waster but not much more.
December 12, 2011
Arguably the best movie Burt Reynolds ever made. The plot is good, the acting is excellent (it allows humor to have a role in propelling the plot,a technique that too many movies don't avail themselves of anymore...) Much of the success of the movie goes to the TEN star SOUNDTRACK. It's tight, it's classy and it reflects a culture that isn't 100% sourced on post-rap music revisionist history. This WAS the 80's in many ways that many people don't think it's profitable to portray.
August 6, 2011
Good entertaining action film starring Burt Reynolds and Henry Silva.
June 18, 2011
one of my favorites!
½ May 7, 2011
This cop movie has a lot of action and excitement, and it's got good cinematography. I was surprised that Reynolds directed it himself. Did anyone else notice that they stole the love story from the movie Laura (1944)? That was the only thing that distracted me from the rest of the story. Reynolds does a pretty good job as a cop, but the performance I liked most was Silva, he is so creepy! Overall, this movie is pretty good, if you like action packed cop thrillers, see it.
April 13, 2011
Apparently Burt decided to do his own version of a "Dirty Harry" film after Clint Eastwood did several silly Burt Reynolds-style movies (particularly the ones with Clive the Orangatang). So he found a William Diehl novel to adapt and directed this fairly gritty and brutal film in which Burt's trademark Smokey and the Bandit era humour is largely missing. The film seems to borrow a crucial plot twist from Otto Perringer's 1940s noir classic Laura, but that might be the source novels fault and not Burts (I have not read it). The cast is good with Bernie Casey, Charles During, and Henry Silva playing Burt's fellow Atlanta vice cops and Henry Silva as a drug addicted assasin. Rachel Ward, just before being cast in the miniseries The Thornbirds, plays a high cllass call-girl who becomes a target of a crimelord (Vittorio Gassman). Not bad, no Dirty Harry bot definately more watcheable than Stoker Ace (what isn't?). A remake with Mark Wahlberg is being made for 2012.
½ December 29, 2010
Burt Reynolds classic action flick.
½ December 17, 2010
im been waiting to see this movie and finally i saw it. burt reynolds is the starring and the third time director of this film became of a cop film. burt reynolds of his role sharky of became a serious and some of he funny anyway. based on the novel by william diehl (also a cameo of this movie). brian keith (who appear with burt reynolds in 1978 "hooper") but his character name 'papa' is kinda funny, bernie casey, charles during, and richard libertini (of "popeye" and "fletch") who is the role as with sharky's crew. villian billy score (performed by henry silva but he also in "above the law" with steven seagal) and his face exactly look like chevy chase to me. so of this film is very simiar movie with "rear window" that sharky is doing in dominoe (i never heard of actress rachel ward). one of burt reynolds kick-ass actor and the good cop flick of the 1980's!
November 6, 2010
I think I would have liked it more when it first came out. Too gritty and dark for me now. Too many films have topped this, so giving it a fair judge is tough. But for Burt Reynolds directing, it looked like he had a craft that could have done more.
October 1, 2010
A guilty pleasure. I had to watch it again because when Rachel Ward was on the screen I could not follow the story.
½ September 12, 2010
Really liked this. If you liked Nico/ Above the Law (dir. Andrew Davis), you'd like this.
½ June 18, 2010
Reynolds is soild in this film of protecting a woman and being a cop sadly starting in the 90's almost everything he did sucked
May 24, 2010
Good 80's action cheese
April 1, 2010
gritty cop drama starring and directed by burt reynolds
"ill pull the chain on you"
i love this movie more and more with each viewing
½ March 14, 2010
Even taking into account that this is a sleazy 80s vice thriller, I have never seen a film with so much smoking and shouting. Sharky's Machine consists largely of people chain-smoking while SCREAMING into each other's faces. There is also some kung-fu, and montages where people mouth exposition at each other but we don't hear what's going on because there are jazz solos laid over the soundtrack. Burt Reynolds plays Sharky as the most sensitive Tough Cop ever. When he's not being a badass, Sharky is into stained glass ("I love stained glass") and carving wood with rose patterns (Rachel Ward asks him, "Were you embarrassed to tell me you were making a rose?", to which he replies, "Yeah"). And he really loves children. At one point he gazes out the window of his rural getaway and explains, "I come here every weekend, and those damn kids are out there playing... and I can't work when they're there. I have to stop and watch them. I could watch kids playing all day long."
November 18, 2009
Three big stars for

Hari Rhodes
½ October 1, 2009
Burt's return to action movies is just mediocre other than great stunt work by Dar Robinson. He plays a demoted narcotics cop doing surveillence on a high priced call girl in the vice squad who he, naturally, falls for.
½ September 20, 2009
Burt Reynold's Direct's and star's in this great Cop film, Reynold's play's the Sharkey of the title, who is a tough cop whilst working in undercover a drug bust goes wrong, and is demoted to vice,

The machine of the title refer's to the motley crew Reynold's's assemble's to bring down a crooked governor who is involved in high class prostitution Cocaine and contract murder,

The motley crew is played by Brian Keith, Blackploitaion favorite Bernie Casey, Richard Libertini,(as alway's quirky as an ace sounds-man) Charle's Durning, as the chief, The beautiful English rose Rachael Ward play's Dominoe a $1000 dollar's a night hooker whom Reynold's's protect's and eventually fall's for, When staking out an apartment used by the governor.

Italian actor Vittorio Gassman, play's the High stake's pimp, who has a deadly gang of triad's at his disposal, And Henry DeSilva, play's His psychotic brother hit man who is highly strung On prescription painkiller's and angel Dust,

The action packed finale see's the remaining member's of the 'Machine' Engaged in a deadly shootout with Desilva, which culminate's in one the Most spectacular stunt's ever put to Celluloid,

Alas Hollywood has ran out of idea's and is contemplating a remake of Sharky's Machine! Why bother a 25th Anniversary Special Edition DVD would be ideal, not a silly ass remake,
½ August 24, 2009
Burt Reynolds was a good director! His vice cop char. extracts a slave chick from the clutches of her handlers- politicians and the mob- and tries to find love. Nice soundtrack assembly of famous jazz players.
August 15, 2009
For me, this film is all about Henry Silva. His hitman is a monster. A beast. A demon. The way he wields that shotgun. The way he screams before a kill. Terrifying. Burt Reynold‚??s as a director? He probably should have listened to his editor a bit more, trim a good chunk of that middle part. Bernie Casey as the zen spouting vice cop is great as always. His shootout with Silva is probably the most memorable moment of the movie. Rachel Ward is nice to look at but she doesn‚??t really have any chemistry with Burty Boy. Still, you gotta check it out for Henry Silva‚??s crazy killer turn. VF.