Shattered (Butterfly on a Wheel) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shattered (Butterfly on a Wheel) Reviews

½ July 5, 2008
good thriller with a pretty cool twist ending. even if i did have my suspicions along the way about how the whole thing was set up, it was still very entertaining. Pierce Brosnan is awesome as usual of course.
July 4, 2008
Lives will be broken
July 3, 2008
Tense thriller, well acted. Will keep you guessing until the end.
½ July 2, 2008
Superb thriller and a couple of nice little twists, Butler and brosnan really do a great job!
½ July 1, 2008
How's this for a tagline? " How far would you go to save your family? How far would you go to save your Marriage? how far would you go if you lost both?" OK it's a bit long winded and i don't suppose the advertising companies are fearful of their jobs !but i think it sums up Butterfly on a Wheel perfectly.

Neil (Butler) and Abby Warner (Bello) have the perfect life and a perfect marriage. With their beautiful young daughter, Sophie, they are living the American dream...until today.
When Sophie is suddenly kidnapped, they have no choice but to comply with the abductors demands. The kidnapper - Ryan (Brosnan), a cold and calculating sociopath takes over their lives with the brutal efficiency of someone who has nothing to lose.
In the blink of an eye Neil and Abby's safe and secure existence is turned upside down. Over the next twenty four hours they are at the mercy of a man who wants only one thing. That they do his bidding. It soon becomes clear that Ryan's demands are all the more terrifying because he doesn't want their money. What he wants is for Neil and Abby's life, the life that they have built over 10 years, to be systematically dismantled and destroyed. Piece by piece.

If you like psychological thrillers then this film should tick most of the boxes for you. It's exciting , the plot has lots of twists and turns and its acted well .
I'm not a big fan of Piers Brosnan . I think he's a little one dimensional but he plays a good nut job in this . I also enjoyed the performance of Maria Bello who plays Abby and Gerard Butler is good as the Husband, father and big hitter , Neil Randall.

I do have one problem and that is something that happens between two of the main characters half an hour into the film. I don't want to go into what they say to each other because it might spoil what is a good film but needless to say it does spoil the twist at the end. Or maybe you wont notice it?

Some of the camera work in Butterfly on a Wheel is stunning . One shot where the viewer gets a birds eye view of the city across the tops of the buildings and another where the husband and wife are panicking in the street and the scenery is spinning around them. A little reminiscent of the scene in Lock Stock and Two smoking barrels when Eddie realises he has just lost all his money to some gangsters in a card game.

In some countries this was released with the name " Shattered "and in my opinion they should have kept that original title. The reason it was named Butterfly on a Wheel is mentioned a couple of times during the film but i still am not sure what it really means.

To sum up , this is a non stop action thriller that despite its flaws in the script still manages to entertain throughout.

7 out of 10
July 1, 2008
This movie was twisted and wonderful. Unbelievably Brosnan made a great villain. Butler made a good patsy and Bello was great as the cheated wife. This was much better than I expected and I was pleasantly surprised by it.
July 1, 2008
Reasonable. The '300' guy is wasted in the movie, though.
June 30, 2008
Lives will be broken when u broke the rules
June 30, 2008
I really enjoyed this film, good suspense thriller with a few unexpected twists...worth a watch
½ June 29, 2008
It was pretty good... Wasn't expecting much from it but was kind of surprised when it turned out to be better than I thought... Kind of predictable.. The ending not so much... Has a couple of twists which were surprising... Acting wasn't horrible but sometimes not so great... Good entertainment for the whole family lol
½ June 29, 2008
Pakko oli kattoa ihkun Brosnanin takia. Ei paskempi sunnuntaiviihde.
½ June 29, 2008
It was ok. Few twists, but otherwise, it just seemed like it was done before.
June 29, 2008
I figured out the wife was involved within 15 minutes, so from there on, I was piecing toether what the reason was for, figured out the whole affair with the secretary too and placed that as a reason. Its a bit far fetched for Butler having an affair to be thrown through that, the test was rather dramatic for an affair, and the only thing that carried this film was the acting, Butler and Bello were fantastic, Brosnan was also good but I would have prefered it if he did not have an irish accent, only because half the time he was hard to understand!!!
June 29, 2008
ammmaaaazzziiinnggggg
June 28, 2008
A really decent movie with a great ending.
½ June 28, 2008
Para pasar el rato..
June 28, 2008
Je wordt er helemaal in meegezogen!
June 27, 2008
i didn't even know this movie came out, it was under the radar.....for good reason.
June 26, 2008
it was alright at best. brosnan was throughly unconvincing for the bad guy..it looked like butler could clock him and get it over with at the very begining. butler and bello do their best to play the couple in distress..but you dont really feel for them. bello is the best actor of the bunch though. the twist toward the end is okay..you do end up guessing it if you have half a brain. brosnan is usually very easy to watch and is very charismatic on screen..not this time..his heart was not in it and he was miscast. bring back rutger hauer people!
June 26, 2008
A pretty decent thriller, although not surprised it was straight to DVD. Saying that it does have a strong well known cast but just has a low budget feel to it. It's watchable especially if you like any of the actors but just not as intense or gripping as better thrillers. Called Butterfly on a wheel in the UK.