Shattered (Butterfly on a Wheel) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shattered (Butterfly on a Wheel) Reviews

½ January 29, 2019
Pretty intense! Got a little boring at times, but I'm so happy I watched until the very end.
January 29, 2019
This film was so crap and painful to watch, that I had to switch it off.
June 18, 2017
Between 2.5 and 3. Good twists to create the plot, but too much dramatism.
April 20, 2017
Very watchable film with strong performances throughout and a decent twist in the end!
January 30, 2017
pretty good acting. pretty intense. Quite the twist. Not bad
½ October 18, 2016
It takes too long to get going. The beginning becomes increasingly tedious until about 20 minutes in when the story actually starts, and then after all that waiting you find out the movie you were waiting for is stupid. So dumb I bailed half way in to fast forward tot he last 15 minutes, and without giving anything away, let's just say that it was sufficient to confirm that the entire movie was dumb, not just the first half.
August 29, 2016
Well acted by all , good dialogue, fast paced , but one problem: its not realistic that they didnt go to the police while they were inside the bank , however if they did that, the twisted ending would have never happened ! Good movie though.
August 26, 2016
Not believeable. Not enjoyable. Expected better from this movie and cast.
August 23, 2016
I think this came out at the time where movies like this felt the need to be clever with their story and to have some sort of twist. More often than not, however, those twists would end up being really convoluted and nonsensical. This should be common sense, but the best twists work because it actually makes context within the context of the story they were telling. I've never seen a twist that's completely random and unrelated to the film's events that was actually any good. The best twists are usually those where there hints dropped throughout the film that actually pay off in the end and you're like 'oh, that's right'. Like the Sixth Sense or even Saw. The Visit also has a really good twist as well. As it relates to this movie, really, your enjoyment of it will really come down to how much you thought the "twist" worked or didn't work. Basically, this married couple who lead, seemingly, a perfect life are held hostage by this gunman, played by Pierce Brosnan, and their daughter's life, being taken care of by a sitter supposedly in cahoots with with the gunman. The gunman forces the couple to perform a series of tasks or else he will call the sitter and tell the sitter to kill their daughter. Obviously, any caring parent would do just about anything to save their child's life. So they concede and give in to his requests in order to ensure their daughter's safety. That's not necessarily as important as the fact as to why this man is forcing them to do this. The mystery behind his motivations is what drives the film forward. Part of me thought that everything leading up to the 'reveal' was kinda lame. Because he's forcing them to do these things that, honestly, don't really even seem that risky until the climax where Brosnan's character asks Gerard's character to kill someone. Everything prior to that, like I said, just isn't really that interesting. He's not really even asking them to do that much in all honesty. It'd be something completely different if he was asking more from them from the start, but it's pretty tame. So that doesn't make the couple's situation any more stressful, because they're just forced to do some basic stuff. That was lame. I mean, at least the acting is strong, with Gerard Butler being the weakest link, but even he was still pretty good here. Which brings us to the twist. It comes out that Butler's character has been having an affair with the wife of Tom, Brosnan, and that's why he did what he did, just to teach him a lesson. But, of course, it's not as simple as that. When Neil and Abby come back home and find their daughter to be safe, it is revealed that Abby actually knew about the affair all along and she and Tom both planned out the events of the film because Abby wanted Neil to feel what she felt when she found out about the affair. One of the film's themes is in regards to 'breaking a butterfly on a wheel', which is interpreted as meaning someone who puts an extraordinary amount of effort on something trivial or punishing someone completely disproportionately when compared to their crime. But, to me, it still feels like way too much work for something so stupid. Not necessarily that it's stupid, but it makes Abby and Tom both look completely unlikable. And that's not what you should think, yes, he made you feel betrayed and abandoned, so fucking divorce him and take everything he has. Don't put him through the hell of having to worry about his daughter's safety. Because, to me, involving your children in a fucked up revenge scheme is far worse than your husband having an affair. Yea, nothing was ever gonna happen to their daughter, but Neil didn't know that. It's just fucked up to use the tease that your daughter might die just to teach an adulterer a lesson. Though, without that approach, you wouldn't have gotten the film we got, so it is what it is. Plus and that's not even going into the fact that you can't plan this out perfectly. There's so many variables involved, so many things that could go wrong that it's sort of absurdly ridiculous that everything went so perfectly. The acting is solid and all that, but the film doesn't really hit on many cylinders. I'd say that this is only slightly below average because I, honestly, hated the reveal of what actually happened, even if it somewhat made sense within its own context.
August 8, 2016
While the plot idea is worthy, a real father would have killed Pierce Brosnan within minutes of their meeting. Not believable. Stupid.
jamrcla
July 30, 2016
Good film nice little twist in the end but like Dwayne Johnson, Gerard Butler should be doing action films even though I think he's a top actor.
May 31, 2016
this film has a subject which has been done countless times but its always entertaining to watch.

The twist gives this film a very unique touch and the performances by the whole cast are really good.

One of my all time favorite action/thrillers of all time
April 20, 2016
A real sleeper! Great performances and a wild ride. - A rare one of a kind movie.
½ March 24, 2016
Strong cast and has a terrific ending.
½ February 26, 2016
Intense story that takes the viewer for a ride on a nightmare roller coaster. Seemingly chaotic, however things are 100% calculated & the end was sadistically mind blowing. Wow!
½ February 20, 2016
Powerfully moving and tensely driven, Shattered is a riveting thriller that depicts every parent's worst nightmare and showcases a dark, villainous performance from Pierce Brosnan and terrific performances from Gerard Butler and Maria Bello.
December 25, 2015
During the movie was on the edge of my seat wondering what will happen next. The ending left a very nice twist but just pissed me off. Dam it Neil!! Definitely worth a watch.
September 29, 2015
As with mystery thrillers, this movie doesn't make alot of sense right up until the very end & then it seems to beg for credibility. But, at last the 2 little twists at the end make it impossible to discuss it with anyone going to see it.
August 26, 2015
It may seem like your bland, typichal thriller with a quite booring set-up, which it is. However, in the later it cathes you on with some clever twists that make up fot the time you think you lost.
July 4, 2015
This kept me on the edge of my seat. Makes you anxious. There are things that are unrealistic but it is a movie.