Shattered Glass - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shattered Glass Reviews

½ June 11, 2013
Quite suspenseful despite being based on fact. Well done with good performances. One of a very few really good journalism movies.
May 26, 2013
Enthralling, Original, Astounding. Shattered Glass tells the true story of The New Republic Journalist Stephen Glass (Hayden Christensen) who's not to be as good as he seems. Stephen's Stories all have flaws in them and some are just completely made up. When his Editor Chuck Lane(Astoundingly portrayed by Peter Sarsgaard) gets wind of Stephen's cooked stories he goes head to head in a battle to figure out what is fact and what is fiction. This film is independent filmaking at its best and Peter Sarsgaard gives a masterful performance that should have gotten him an Oscar nomination, his performance deserves to go down in history as one of those great supporting actor performances. This film really goes into the deep depths of Journalism and list Stephen Glass as one of the don'ts of Journalism. **** out of ****
May 25, 2013
A fascinating true story of journalistic fabrication in the late '90s. Unfortunately the film didn't hold my attention after the first 60 minutes when a recently published story by Glass has just been revealed as a complete fabrication.
May 24, 2013
The ultimate crash and burn story- it seriously is, brutal is the word. If you want a movie that can put you in the head of a sociopath and those around him then this is for you.

The acting is very good- finally a role that fits Christensen and the rest of the cast are on par too- top notch. The story is so good that you find it hard to believe that it really happened. A new kind of discomfort comes over you when you watch this one- one that you can't quite place, I can only wonder how those who were duped by the man himself felt upon finding out the truth.

There's a major flaw with this one though- we don't really learn about the man himself, too much time is spent almost trying to trick us into sympathising with him but we never get any of the bones behind the flesh of the character here and that's deeply frustrating. With it, you'd have a pretty amazing film, without it- you've got a pretty good one. One of the more interesting and compelling true-story films and I really think the performances go overlooked here, if only it had bothered to move from the story slightly and give us more about the person behind it. It's still a strong film about journalism though which somewhat makes up for its failings as a character study.
May 18, 2013
(Not the story of Scottish ex-Newcastle winger) Intriguing true story of young star journo who cheats the fact-checking system.
BUT Anakin Skywalker does his level best to be the shittest actor in the galaxy, luckily Peter Sarsgaard was on hand.
May 3, 2013
Films based on real life incidents have always been my interest, a film about about journalist who has fabricated over a dozen of his writings for 'The New Republic ' which is the only in-flight mag of Air Force One
April 26, 2013
This film is well acted and captivating. It's one that makes you sympathetic yet aware of the wrongness of what glass did. Watch it, it's thought provoking and entertaining.
April 14, 2013
An extremely good movie with great performances by Hayden and Steve Zahn.
½ April 10, 2013
I don't think I've ever truly had a movie experience like I did with "Shattered Glass". On one hand, it's handled with a cold, calculating feeling of a documentary (which in this case isn't a bad thing), and on the other, it's stylish and sleek. Even more, it's hard to tell whether or not it's a drama or a thriller. The assumption of the latter may be due to how tense most of the scenes are filmed, but nevertheless, even with all of these aspects, "Shattered Glass" is an example of a movie that works on all levels. What's more, it doesn't feel one bit fake, quite unlike the fabricated stories of Stephen Glass, who serves as the basis of the film. Glass (Hayden Christensen) is a promising young writer who works for the New Republic as well as Rolling Stone and Forbes on the side. His stories ring with delicious humor and read smoothly, which instantly grant him respect from his colleagues and his editor, Michael Kelly (Hank Azaria). After a confrontation to his boss, Kelly is fired, and Chuck Lane (Peter Sarsgaard), one of Glass' peers, is brought in as the editor. Things instantly turn sour when Glass writes an articled entitled "Hacker Heaven", in which none of the sources or quotes have any true backing. Lane instantly realizes that Glass may have possibly fabricated the story, maybe even more. Just based on the plot, I was expecting Stephen Glass to be an instantly unlikeable fake that would hurt anybody to help his career, a quality many characters have in these types of movies. However, Glass is handled as a true human who isn't malicious, but he rather has psychological problems. We can instantly tell-- through Christensen's anxious, almost cloying performance, we already can make the assumption that Glass thrives on success in the sickest of ways, so we can help but sympathize with this poor soul. And you would never guess that Christensen has a row of Razzie awards gathering dust from his involvement in the "Star Wars" series, because he truly gives a fantastic performance. It also definitely helps when every aspect of the film is excellent. Billy Ray, not to be mistaken with Miley Cyrus' dad, does a fantastic job of directing and writing here as well. He paints Glass and his peers as aspiring young people that have their problems just like the rest of us, all the while maintaining to make needed scenes simmer with bubbling intensity and strain. For such a simple movie, he makes quite a statement, putting into consideration the film is barely 90 minutes. The cast is uniformly superb as well, featuring impressive performances from independent film favorites like ChloŽ Sevigny and especially Sarsgaard. Yet nobody manages to impress more than Christensen himself or Ray, both of whom have never been better. "Shattered Glass" is a smart and deeply compelling drama that definitely raises eyebrows about the journalism industry. This film is most definitely a hidden gem.
½ April 3, 2013
A very compelling story about deception and the rise and fall of a young journalist who pulled one too many falsehoods. Props to Christensen for pulling off a character that will charm you one second and make your skin crawl the next.
Isaac
March 24, 2013
Though sometimes too "Hollywood-y" for its own good, and marred by a predictably awkward Hayden Christensen performance, Shattered Glass is ultimately saved by the undeniable intrigue of its subject matter.
March 22, 2013
I am just Wowed here, I felt so SO sorry for Chuck that I cryed, Excellent movie!
Peter Sarsgaard Should've got an Oscar for that role, He was more than amazing
March 19, 2013
Peter Sarsgaard is just too awesome..
½ March 12, 2013
I have watched this 3 times because my journalism teacher shows it every semester. It's been a good watch every time. Saarsgard is especially good.
February 12, 2013
Not as good as 'The Hoax,' but still highly entertaining... and Glass shouldn't feel shame in anything he did, those who bought into the bullshit, should. He was a good con man, but a below average story teller.

And it's his story that will be remembered.
½ February 12, 2013
What started as a solid thriller, ended as an unforgettable mystery with top notch performances and expert pacing. I would be surprised if "The Social Network" wasn't at least a little inspired by "Shattered Glass".
½ February 11, 2013
Good flick, but nothing special.
February 2, 2013
Hayden hace una majestuosa caracterizacion a un personaje real polemico, tanto asŪ que parece el propio Glass dentro de la pelicula con una trama simple pero que los puntos se jerarquizaron de manera que no hubo fallas menores dentro de la realizacion. Rigurosamente, excelentemente elaborada.
½ January 27, 2013
An interesting true story is bogged down in a painfully amateurish project that suffers from a bad lead, bad writing, few worthy questions, even fewer answers, and disinterested tone. Christensen's play as Glass is atrocious. He's supposed to be an entertaining and charming person, but I simply found him painfully awkward and just irritating to watch. There are some decent performances, but they're bogged down by a matter-of-fact script that has no passion, no interest, and no sense of realism (people don't talk as stupidly simple as this). It's also weirdly paced and framed, and a lot of artistic choices (like a classroom Glass gives a speech at which is used as a framing device) don't make much sense and don't really serve any purpose.

It's positives come in telling an interesting story. I didn't know this story, and found it interesting to watch, but I don't know how interested I'd be if I had previous knowledge on the matter. Furthermore, they never delve into Glass's character at all to show his motivation for what he did; it's really more about the investigation, but this is a detail that I can't help but feel would elevate the experience substantially.

In the beginning I was intrigued, but it quickly lost my interest. Around the third act, it did start to regain my interest, but not by enough. The more recent The Social Network had a similar tone and style, but was handled a million times better. Interesting for it's real life story, but not much else. It's not really bad, it's just kind of bland.
December 27, 2012
does a superb job in presenting four of the five journalistic 'Ws' of its story: the who, what, where and when. It fails, however, on the essential 'why' of the tale.