She Hate Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

She Hate Me Reviews

DragonEyeMorrison
½ January 21, 2008
Spike Lee is aiming for too many things here, in some is a hit, in others are a miss. The first half builds up around the usual relationships stuff, then the second half forgets about the first and goes into a socio-political-commentary rampage. Also the movie depends on just way too many wishifull thinking and "happy coincidences" to work properly and be convincing. If only Spike cut it off the political stuff, his movies would be actually a lot better. John Turturo's character, and all his dialogues and scenes were like if Spike was doing a parody of Do the Right Thing.
September 1, 2006
Aloha, Spike, what is up with this? No worry, shrimp curry, I've had some dry spells myself.
Harlequin68
½ October 21, 2005
[font=Century Gothic]In "She Hate Me", John Henry Armstrong(Anthony Mackie) is a 31-year old single vice-president at an up and coming biotech company. He is sad because he is not yet a father. He is even sadder when his friend, Dr. Shiller, jumps out of his 40th floor office to his death. A new wonder drug that the company has been promoting as a possible vaccine for AIDS has been denied approval by the FDA. There is a cover-up to prop up the stock price but Armstrong decides to blow the whistle. He is promptly fired, has his assets frozen and is under investigation by the SEC. Armstrong's ex-girlfriend, Fatima(Kerry Washington), who left him for another woman, just happens to pop back into his life with an offer he cannot refuse - father her child, her lover's child and any other lesbians within a 30-mile radius they can find in exchange for $10,000 for every pregnancy. Meanwhile, there is an unprecedented turkey baster shortage...[/font]

[font=Century Gothic]Spike Lee started off as a provocative young filmmaker with plenty to say on matters of race in America. Early on in his career, he made two great movies - "Do the Right Thing" and "Malcolm X." But the quality of his films have fallen as of late - "Summer of Sam" is an interesting mess; "Bamboozled" is much too heavy handed and could have used a lighter touch and "25th Hour" misses an easy shot to take on the draconian New York Rockefeller drug laws. [/font]

[font=Century Gothic]"She Hate Me" consists of a whole morass of ideas gone horribly awry:[/font]

[font=Century Gothic]One of the targets is capitalism but if that is so, then why focus on an executive instead of somebody of more proletarian status. Wouldn't a vice-president have some responsibility for his company's shenanigans?[/font]

[font=Century Gothic]Hints about personal responsibility abound. The movie certainly disapproves of the whole pregnancy scheme and refers to it as immoral but Armstrong is providing a valuable service for which he is amply compensated. [/font] And the Bible did say,"Be fruitful and multiply, and replenish the earth." Genesis 9:1.

And then there is the asinine Mafia subplot...

Also, the sperm were funnier in "Everything You Always You Wanted to Know about Sex..."

In conclusion, the movie might have worked if it had been simpler, shorter, and much more realistic and down to earth. At the end of the day, I'm not even sure what Spike Lee was trying to say.

Note: Ossie Davis also appeared in a few episodes of "The L Word" which had a much more credible pregnant lesbian subplot. His roles in "She Hate Me" and "The L Word" were some of his last roles before he died.
jimbotender
½ December 23, 2008
I will forgive thee Spike. Just don't give me a new version of ambitious-anti-yuppie-elements that includes rivers of tedious blockhead performances and wooden outcomes, oh...and judicial soliloquies. There has to be a slight knowledge in what you're trying to satirize dude, that is: corporate misconducts.
July 21, 2006
The second star is for the sexyness and humour of SOME scenes. Nooo, it is for Kerry Washington. Any film with her gets a star just for including her. ;-) Apart from this, I am deeply offended by some of the content (as a queer woman) and miss the subversive, controversial and GOOD Spike Lee.
April 26, 2016
Lee misses again in this drama about whistleblowers that focuses on the controversy and becomes preachy.
October 20, 2012
Now don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Spike Lee, but I did not like this movie at all. Now Anthonay Mackie is very sexy in this movie, but shoot that's about all I liked..
½ March 29, 2009
Absolutely and utterly horrible. I have never been a Spike Lee fan but this goes beyond his weak filmmaking abilities. Even though there is no such thing, this somehow feels like a bad Woody Allen movie. I love jazz, but it's misplaced use here almost makes me hate it. And then, to top it off, it rings in at almost 2 1/2 hours. Monica oh Monica, what were you thinking? You're so much better than this. Frankly I just can't believe this script ever got sold. Just terrible.
½ July 23, 2011
One of Spike Lee's few bad films it is a muddled mess but its interesting to watch because only a filmmaker of Lee's level could make such a mess.
July 30, 2008
When a film by Spike Lee goes down, it goes own hard. But at least Lee is always willing to risk failure rather than pander. This is not one of those risks that pays off. Anthony Mackie is Jack, a Harvard grad fired from his biotech job for blowing the whistle on his sleazy boss (Woody Harrelson). In order to get cash Jack impregnates lesbians for $10,000 a piece, and not through insemination either--he just screws them. Lee strains to connect Jack's problems with that of Frank Wills, the black security guard who discovered the Watergate break-in and died penniless. 'I am Frank Wills,' Jack declares. Uh huh. And I'm amazed this came from Spike Lee. The premise is horribly offensive and the goal of indicting America as morally bankrupt just comes off as condescending. Awful.
½ April 30, 2010
Incredibly hectic and, at times, ludicrous. But while there are 10 stories happening at once, they all show flashes of brilliance (and they certainly would be brilliant given the opportunity to stand on their own). This isn't fully realized by any means but, to quote Roger Ebert's review of Herzog's "Bad Lieutenant," it's not a masterpiece, but it's certainly the work of a master.
½ June 25, 2009
What a terrible movie! Unquestionably Spike Lee's worst, and that's saying something. Every scene is anathema, both to the viewer and to the very art of storytelling. Heck, and photography for that matter - the entire production appears rushed, haphazard, and ill-conceived. The sort of awful film only a great talent could create. So glad that one's over.
½ April 16, 2008
I can't rightly explain my rating here. Its kind of a gut reaction thing. There are a lot of flaws in this, not the least of which is the title. But I was charmed. Maybe its my own latent white guilt, thinking back on it this film would be schlock if all the characters were white instead of black. But maybe thats the point. That would be something worth looking for upon a second viewing. Unfortunately, it wasn't good enough for me to want to watch it again.
July 29, 2008
directing and acting are great; but the screenplay could have been tighter...
still a film i would teach in a course. my man Spike knew what he was doing; also the soundtrack by Terence Blanchard is SUPERB.
½ June 30, 2008
The worst film Spike Lee has ever made(at least that I've sat through), it was so pretentious at points(I normally never use the word, and I mean it here in the worst way possible), he tried to take on Enron, Bush, Gay relationships, Diabetis, the XF...(read more)L, and the Watergate Scandal, and as always racism, in one film, and he did it all in the worst most childish, ways, not to mention the unbelievable ending in which the guy gets both the girls( I see what he was going for with that, alternative families and all, but it comes out of nowhere and just ends up looking like every mans wet-dream). Include an awful and pointless Watergate flashback, Animated Sperm with heads of the main character entering eggs of whatever female character he just slept with(who also have the female characters face),and you have got one huge piece of unfocused scatterbrain mush, and normally I like or at least don't mind Spike Lee's films("Do The Right Thing" was a masterpiece), this was just awful.
½ May 23, 2008
The worst film Spike Lee has ever made(at least that I've sat through), it was so pretentious at points(I normally never use the word, and I mean it here in the worst way possible), he tried to take on Enron, Bush, Gay relationships, Diabetis, the XFL, and the Watergate Scandal, and as always racism, in one film, and he did it all in the worst most childish, ways, not to mention the unbelievable ending in which the guy gets both the girls( I see what he was going for with that, alternative families and all, but it comes out of nowhere and just ends up looking like every mans wet-dream). Include an awful and pointless Watergate flashback, Animated Sperm with heads of the main character entering eggs of whatever female character he just slept with(who also have the female characters face),and you have got one huge piece of unfocused scatterbrain mush, and normally I like or at least don't mind Spike Lee's films("Do The Right Thing" was a masterpiece), this was just awful.
May 19, 2008
Definately a movie I had to watch a couple of times to appreciate, interesting concept and good for laughs. It was tolerable
March 2, 2008
I have been on a Spike Lee kick here lately. The main character goes from VP to fathering 19 babies to a group of lesbians. Cant get no better than that.
April 26, 2016
December 8, 2015
This is easily one of the worst films ever. The acting is implausible, the plots ridiculous. The main actor looks and behaves more like an intern and part time hoodlum. There is no way he could be Vice President of anything, let alone a big company. He is just not bright enough. He doesn't even look bright. His eyes don't have that intelligent look. For example, he seems surprised that his bank account has been frozen, considering the circumstances of his firing. One would expect an ex Vice President of a big company to have suspected this after one or maybe two attempts to withdraw money. Certainly by the time he enters the bank to speak to the manager, this thought should have, by then, crossed his mind. But alas it doesn't seem to have done. The little doctor's suicide is cliched and disappointing as a plot line. Usually a death, especially a suicide in a film, is part of an interesting twist or cliff hanger in the plot. Something that enhances the film, but this suicide does nothing but produce even more confusion.The setting is all wrong, the characters, plot lines are all absurd. Even though Q Tip only appears sparingly, he does his little bit poorly indeed. That whole lesbian situation feels more like a fantasy. This is atrocious beyond words and I actually like Spike.