She Hate Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

She Hate Me Reviews

November 28, 2012
Ewww I hate this movie its so retarded
October 20, 2012
Now don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Spike Lee, but I did not like this movie at all. Now Anthonay Mackie is very sexy in this movie, but shoot that's about all I liked..
August 28, 2012
The worst of Spike Lee's career.
½ July 28, 2012
Absolutely and utterly horrible. I have never been a Spike Lee fan but this goes beyond his weak filmmaking abilities. Even though there is no such thing, this somehow feels like a bad Woody Allen movie. I love jazz, but it's misplaced use here almost makes me hate it. And then, to top it off, it rings in at almost 2 1/2 hours. Monica oh Monica, what were you thinking? You're so much better than this. Frankly I just can't believe this script ever got sold. Just terrible.
July 15, 2012
She Hate Me but I didn't like her anyway.
July 8, 2012
if Spike had not spread him self thin on this touching so many topics, it would have been close to perfect
June 24, 2012
all thoe l'm sexual driven (well covered in this flic... it's the whistle blower angle to this movie that appeals me... the grass is greener, wishlist most project on self... Take away the happy ending... angle it exposed... Another spike lee for the collection...
April 21, 2012
ive seen this movie and i like it i want to see it again tho.
March 29, 2012
OMG THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST MOVIES I HAVE EVER SEEN
March 24, 2012
Interesting role reversal movie.
½ February 8, 2012
yo this is a good fuckin movie. awesome story, lucky fuckin bastard livin a fuckin wicked life!
February 2, 2012
Why can't it be both?
September 13, 2011
dude is a pimp nuff said. i wish i was like him. .. gonna pop this in and hit the sheets
½ July 23, 2011
One of Spike Lee's few bad films it is a muddled mess but its interesting to watch because only a filmmaker of Lee's level could make such a mess.
June 18, 2011
FAVORITE SPIKE LEE JOINT OF ALL TIME lol def. on my top 10 movie list classic
April 22, 2011
2.5 Stars out of 4

Spike Lee's She Hate Me is an obscure parody of racial stereotypes that - like most of Lee's films - won't be for everyone. By now, I'm still not sure if it's for me. It exists in a farcical world where the stars don't shine. If you take this movie seriously, gear up for a painful experience that explores feats of the unnecessary and oddly fascinating.

Spike Lee imbues She Hate Me with political, sexual, and social excesses. If you have seen Lee's more polemical films (not Inside Man!) you will understand what I mean when I regard him as a director with a stubborn but telling chip on his shoulder. He does not play his material safely; he goes all out. I commend the director's guts, his incoherent but engaging logic, that is as entertaining as it is arguable.

She Hate Me, well, it's definitely an "arguable" film. Most critics have denounced the film for its ludicrous ideas and tasteless plot. They are right. But surely a director like Lee did not do this by fault. If he has, god bless him. When I watched She Hate Me, I was overwhelmed by Lee and what he was doing. He is taking characters that are one-dimensional on the surface and putting them in a form of parody where he can say something more third-dimensional. Their ostensible bad acting and arbitrary actions is part of the film's joy and personal detachment.

This is not an emotional story but a film that continues to bludgeon Lee's pugnacious voice over and over. Yes, the film is tough to bear and its third-quarter escalates into some preposterous conclusion that is mostly annoying and vainglorious. Lee attempts to attack American economics, politics, and gender through a story that is dangerously oblique.

Here's the plot: John Armstrong (Anthony Mackie) is terminated from his lucrative job at a biotechnology firm, falsely accused of security fraud by his superior (Woody Harrelson). He retreats to his home where his ex-fiancée Fatima (Kerry Washington) is planning to have a baby with her partner Alex (Dania Ramirez), who also wants one. They goad John to be their sperm donor and he then partakes in a business with Fatima in which John fathers the child of various lesbian single women. Uh huh.

I can at least say I have not really seen a story like this before. "She Hate Me" is based off a nickname of an XFL football player Rod Smart who called himself "He Hate Me." The title was meant to imply that Smart's opponent would hate him when Smart defeated him. Lee's choice to use this title is arbitrary at best because the film is much about a man who could bear no such sign on his back. He is defeated and is in a state where he is "castrated" by women who have an ironic authority over him and thus seem more manly too. He engages in intercourse regularly, has large nether parts, but is constantly objectified by the women who control him. "How does it feel to be an object?" a lesbian customer asks. I can see what Lee is getting at. I think...

Problems arose when I found that too much of the film was grounded in dated history. Lee tries to metaphorically relate John to Frank Willis, the man who captured the 5 men breaking in at Watergate and received no raise as a result. Lee does not say much but ridicule Nixon through what is parody but an unnecessary parody. It always seems Spike Lee does this. He has to take every American edifice and scramble it. Thus, She Hate Me runs for over two hours but it seems too short, ridiculous, and arbitrary for what Lee is pursuing.

She Hate Me also involves the suicide of a German colleague, court room drama, gratuitous sex, and the mafia. John Turturro makes an appearance as a mob boss trying to deflect his organization's illegal actions on John's outlandish sperm business. This is way too much. The film covers all 5 of New York City's boroughs, so I could not help but wonder why Lee did not focus more on Post 9/11 undertones to calm his subject matter down (he did that in his earlier 25th Hour - a better film).

I suppose Lee wants to expands his material but usually he is just inflating it. She Hate Me I do not hate. I do not love it either. It crosses that line where I can enjoy the film for its ambition but also disvalue its outrageous historical claims by wagging my disapproving finger.
March 22, 2011
When a film by Spike Lee goes down, it goes own hard. But at least Lee is always willing to risk failure rather than pander. This is not one of those risks that pays off. Anthony Mackie is Jack, a Harvard grad fired from his biotech job for blowing the whistle on his sleazy boss (Woody Harrelson). In order to get cash Jack impregnates lesbians for $10,000 a piece, and not through insemination either--he just screws them. Lee strains to connect Jack's problems with that of Frank Wills, the black security guard who discovered the Watergate break-in and died penniless. 'I am Frank Wills,' Jack declares. Uh huh. And I'm amazed this came from Spike Lee. The premise is horribly offensive and the goal of indicting America as morally bankrupt just comes off as condescending. Awful.
½ February 22, 2011
I could say I liked this movie even though it's kind of weird. Lots of great acting! However, at times it feels like the scenes are unfinished and Spike Lee should have somehow perfected them a little bit. On the other hand, it would have been better if some scenes were deleted (e.g. the scenes of sperm race and all that unnecessary moaning during sex scenes).
February 15, 2011
this made me depressed
½ February 10, 2011
this wasn't a bad film but it wasn't a particularly good one either. it felt like two separate movie that somehow had been blended together. i liked that crooked executive/whistleblower part of the movie but lee goes off on another story when that starts getting interesting... disappointing.