She Wore a Yellow Ribbon Reviews

• 3d ago

"Drama [from James Warner Bellah's story] of the undermanned US Cavalry post far out in the Indian country is centered on a veteran captain about to retire. It develops into a saga of the cavalry, its hard-bitten men, loyal wives and usual intrigues. The tale moves along easily as it shows how the troop surmounts the Indian peril. There's hardly a breather from the time the audience is tipped that John Wayne is soon retiring as cavalry captain til he finalizes his last dramatic moment. Wayne wears well in this somewhat older characterization. He makes the officer an understanding, two-fisted guy without overdoing it. Victor McLaglen gives the production tremendous lift as the whisky-nipping non-com."

• Feb 06, 2019

Bad plot and the demonization of native Americans continues. John Wayne is wooden as John Wayne, a man who could not act, but only played himself in hundreds of movies. The great cinematography cannot save this dud. John Wayne curses any movie he is in and robs it of its potential for greatness.

• Feb 04, 2019

Captain Nathan Brittles, on the eve of retirement, takes out a last patrol to stop an impending massive Indian attack. Encumbered by women who must be evacuated, Brittles finds his mission imperiled. This earned an Oscar for Best Cinematography, though had a Best Makeup award existed back then, surely Don Cash would have been a contender for superb work that allowed a then-41-year-old Wayne to convincingly pass for someone a quarter-century older.Also includes the greatest performance ever put in by Victor McLaglen in his reoccurring role as Sgt. Quincannon. The second of John Ford's cavalry trilogy is well acted by John Wayne and well shot by Winton C. Hoch John Wayne, John Ford, and Monument Valley in glorious color. What more can you ask for in a western

• Jun 30, 2018

Fine Wayne war movie just without much war....a little disappointed in that but overall it is well done.

• Apr 22, 2018

The second of the John Ford/John Wayne films known as the Cavalry trilogy. I appear to be watching them backwards! Anyway. Standard Ford stock for me in the Monument Valley location photography. Brilliant as it is, especially in full colour. The make up effects on Wayne to make him appear as a Cavalry officer on the brink of retirement were excellent. If you didn't know before hand you would take him for a mid/late sixties guy not the 41 he was at the time. The story is of the impending retirement of Captain Nathan Brittles who has one final mission to commandeer one last patrol. The patrol faces danger from Indians who have just defeated Custer and the 7th Cavalry of the U.S. army. He is also hampered having to escort two rather peculiar members of the patrol. Two female relatives of his Fort Commander! Wayne shows his acting skills go beyond riding a horse and downing a whisky when he shows real emotion at receiving a retirement gift from his Cavalry soldiers. To avert war Brittles meets the Indian Chief in person. She Wore A Yellow Ribbon falls short of the brilliance of The Searchers but the location photography makes a pretty standard storyline stand out from your average Western of the period. The Ford/Wayne film partnership comes up trumps yet again. To appreciate the full brilliance of the Cinematography watch a high definition version. The DVD doesn't do it justice. Now for the first of the trilogy.

• Mar 30, 2018

Strong entry in the Ford/Wayne westerns - this one in color.

Strong entry in the Ford/Wayne westerns - this one in color.

• Feb 04, 2018

So boring I quit halfway through. Can't figure out why it gets such high marks. I love John Wayne but there's no story here.

• Aug 16, 2017

John Ford takes my breath away with not only this great story with actors who are always a welcome sight, especially Ben Johnson and Harry Carey, Jr, but using Monument Valley for his setting. Epic in every way.

• Aug 09, 2016

160820: An excessively dramatic but decent film. I could just see it being played behind a full orchestra. My highlight was Top Sgt. Quincannon (Victor McLaglen) and a young Sgt. Tyree (Ben Johnson). Wayne was Wayne and the story a little lackluster, one big circle. I will have to watch the "Cavalry Trilogy" in order one day. For now, 3.5 stars.

• May 07, 2016

Not really my cup of tea, but not bad. John Wayne is good in it and the color and light in a lot of the scenes are just gorgeous. I'm just not big on Ford thus far in my Ford dealings. More of an Anthony Mann man, man.