The She-Creature - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The She-Creature Reviews

June 9, 2015
There are different types of movies featured on MST3K : shity movies, extreme shit and then there's The She Creature. Campy, bad and low-budget, this is only watchable on MST3K and still. Although, the special effects are surprisingly good for a low budget film. But still, not recommended.
November 21, 2014
Another hilariously bad movie in my film diet, The She-Creature is about a hypnotist who hypnotizes his assistant and brings her back as someone from a previous life. The trouble is that he's also bringing her back as a terrifying monster from the sea. The movie isn't altogether terrible, I suppose, but what it is is horribly boring most of the time. It has lots of unintentionally funny moments when the sea creature gets involved with the plot, but it's pretty boring and static. The crew from Mystery Science Theater 3000 riffed on this one and it made for a hilarious episode, which I'd recommend. The movie by itself is definitely lackluster.
May 26, 2012
Again watched the mst3k version but the movie wasn't that bad
½ November 16, 2011
A woman is put under hypnosis so her soul can leave her body and come back as a bloodthristy sea creature. It's a silly sort of film but it managed to keep my attention.
September 23, 2011
When an evil magician puts his sweet assistent under the spell of hypnosis she revokes an evil sea monster that runs around on beaches and kills people.

The monster who looks like an overgrown shrimp is sometimes transparant, sometimes comes in the light of a weak glow or just picks a quarrel with just anybody hanging around close by.

There is also a good magician, an evil buisnessman, a stupid blonde, a stupid angry police man, adrunkard who likes to blend scotch, bourbon and gin, and there is a dog.

The dog gets more crucial scenes as the movie progresses.

Although som mild fun, the strong point about this film is the fact that actor Chester Moris looks exactly like Dieter Meyer of swiss rock group Yello the whole movie through. A remarkable resemblance
½ November 14, 2010
How anyone could be a sea monster in a past life is beyond my understanding, but other than that the movie is pretty interesting. Not great, but interesting.
flixsterman
½ October 29, 2010
An experiment in past life regression calls forth a scaley monster with enormous boobs. Evil Dr. Lombardi is able to use hypnosis to summon the breasted beast but good ole' handsome and kind 'Ted' steps in to save the day. The She-Creature is an old fashioned low budget schlock-fest best seen from the back seat of a Studebaker at your local drive-in.
September 5, 2010
Chester Morris hypothesis Marla English & manifests to a primitive state & the She-Creature comes out of the ocean to kill. The police think Morris is responsible even though they are unable to prove it. This almost hypnotised me into a comatose state it was so fucking slow & the She-Creature wasn't in it nearly enough. Full of cheap fx & bad acting just about the entire cast including most of the monster comes back for the equally bad Voodoo Woman. Grade Z that was no better no matter how much I drank
½ August 2, 2010
Odd monster flick about hypnosis, previous lives and out-of-body experiences. What you will probably remember the most from this is stiff characters and poor lighting.
March 7, 2010
I have called her from the unknown debts of time

A mysterious hypnotist seems to be knowledgeable of some recent strange activities taking place around the city. A serial killer has been slaying people and leaving limited evidence. Is the hypnotist responsible for the murders, some how involved, or just at the wrong place at the wrong time?

"It is so tiresome to continue to remind you to mind your own business."

Edward Cahn, director of Beauty and the Beast (1962), Noose for a Gunman, Dragstrip Girl, Voodoo Woman, Girls in Prison, and Silent Fear, delivers The She-Creature. The storyline for this picture is on par with other monster movies from this time period. The monster was interesting and the acting was better than average.

"As long as I'm alive, I'll possess you."

The She-Creature aired during this past Halloween season and we DVR'd it. The content was interesting and the hypnotist was well presented. The story was better than I anticipated and the monster was well delivered. This movie is worth seeing if you're a fan of old school horror movies.

"I was communicating with your thoughts before you left your house."

Grade: C+
½ October 9, 2009
Oh gawd!
This turkey couldn't be more painfully slow!
Paper thin plot makes an excellent boat anchor.
June 6, 2009
More Samuel Z. Arkoff fun from the golden age of sci-fi-horror, She-Creature tackles the popular fifties theme of regressive evolution, this time made possible by a Coney Island hypnotist with dreams of making the big show AND gaining scientific respectability to boot.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi finds the perfect subject for hypnotism in carny-follower Andrea Talbott. He sends her into such deep trances he can pull out any of her past lives on command--including her proto-human first lifeform from the sea. It is this "she-creature" he sends on missions of terror, after conveniently predicting them beforehand and therefore gaining notoriety among the city's gullible elite.

Of course Andrea hates this side of carnival life, and soon falls for skeptic psychical researcher Dr. Ted Erikson--a constantly sleepy, baffled-looking mumbler of a leading man if there ever was one. But Ted is immensely preferable to creepy old Lombardi, who seems to think his hypnotic commands can only work if he is two inches away from Andrea's face. I swear at one point he has his nose in her ear, personal space be damned. More funnies ensue when Lombardi pulls a Kato Kaelin on the entrepreneur-bigwig of the film, moving uninvited into his beach mansion and stubbornly refusing to leave even when he can afford to buy his own place.

To top it off I love the look of the monster in this one, it's the usual slow-moving body suit but with a lot of detail and flare to it. An old favorite that makes for both great retro viewing and a fun MST3K episode.
½ May 15, 2009
A hypnotist who puts a woman in a trance to bring forth some sort of lobster-creature from the sea to do his bidding and kill his enemies? Must be based on a true story, you can't make that stuff up.
February 26, 2009
Oh, how I love terrible movies. They are just as entertaining as the great ones in their own way. This one is no exception.
August 30, 2008
...i dunno what i just watched. all i know is that i suddenly feel the urge to jam a pair of safety scissors (safety first) in my eyes so that i don't have to be confused about watching it a second time. it's got its entertaining spots...but for the most part, i'd rather rub a cheese grater on my privates than watch this film again.
April 5, 2008
Thought this was the inspiration for a later flick with an almost identical title. Unfortunately it's a mishmash of bad metaphysics and cheesy special effects. It's barely good enough to watch at 3 am when you can't sleep, which is exactly what I did.
½ March 26, 2008
Holy flaming balls of crap, was this movie terrible. Two dumb plots rolled into one dumb plot, poorly acted, poorly shot, yadda yadda... This is what you get when the part of the script that's supposed to be interesting calls for two greasy emotionless caucasoids to stare at one another over a woman who's sleeping, and culminates in a scene where police shoot at something they (and you) can't see. And the monster looks like a Power Rangers' bad guy only drunk and less believable. This is rank, even by standards for MST3K parody material.
January 21, 2008
I don't have too much in the way of expectations with these old sci-fi/horror films on AMC, but even then, this was pretty lame.
October 29, 2007
Very slow. Neat idea for a horror movie, but too slowly executed. I really liked the overacting to a point but I ended up fast forwarding through alot on the DVR.
½ October 26, 2007
I liked the quietness of the movie. The setting was extra creepy with the nighttime beach shots. I thought that the whole atmosphere of the film was handled well. With any old ā??Bā?? movie you have to expect that it will be slow and have gaping plot holes with bad effects. If your up for some B&W viewing, itā??s fun.