The Sheltering Sky - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Sheltering Sky Reviews

March 30, 2012
Dying is probably more fun than watching this movie. It is without a doubt the most boring movie of all time.
½ March 1, 2012
Malcovich and Debra Winger in a great film

Wonderful photography, story and the whole atmosphere in the film
November 20, 2011
lo sabia!! deprimente al maximo....con una bella fotografia y algunos dialogos para pensar...ojo que Paul Bowles aparece en la pelicula y narra algunos momentos
October 23, 2011
Maginfikt filmad historia om sökande efter mening. Debra Winger och John Malkovich gör bra ifrån sig under Bertoluccis skyddande himlavalv.
½ October 1, 2011
Kad ga Bertolu?i snimi, on ne da ga snimi nego ga SNIMI! Ovde su egzoti?ne lokacije tako maestralno iskorišene da sam se prisjetio Pasolinijeve 1001. noi, ali Bertolu?i je mnogo bolji jer ima mnogo manje golih muškaraca.

Pri?a je relativno minimalisti?ka - bra?ni par koji igraju D 3/4on Malkovi? i Debra Vinger zadesi se u Sahari sa nekom prišipetljom koje Malkovi? jedva ?eka da se otarasi (a igra ga sin D 3/4ord 3/4a Skota). Tamo se nalaze u POTPUNO druga?ijem svijetu od onog na koji su (valjda) navikli i umjesto da im to za?ini i obogati i uzdrma ljubavni 3/4ivot, dolazi do potpune propasti.

Druga polovina filma proti?e skoro bez dijaloga, a i ono malo što ima je na arapskom i nije titlovano, tako da nije baš jednostavno pratiti taj dio ako niste ?itali knjigu ili plot summary sa Vikipedije ili gledali sa komentarima re 3/4isera. Me'utim, to nije toliko bitno, pošto sa audio-vizuelne strane film apsolutno RASTURA, a i onih malo razumljivih dijaloga što ima na po?etku je apsolutno genijalno.

Paul Bowles, pisac knjige po kojoj je snimljen film, pojavljuje se u ulozi naratora koji nešto trabunja u nekoliko scena. Ina?e, on je poslije izjavio kako film ništa ne valja (što je još jedan pokazatelj da piscima treba zabraniti komentarisanje umjetnosti o kojoj nemaju pojma).
September 3, 2011
This movie (and the book it is based on) is kind of like The Great Gatsby, in that you start out hating all of the characters but as the story progresses you come to actually care about them and the challenges they face. It is a beautifully done film set in the Sahara, and if you like artistic films this is a good one to see.
½ August 16, 2011
Enchanting visuals, engaging relationships, but at some point, the feature seems to be directed by another person, as if this were two films in one. There is some choppiness to the narration, and it may be difficult to figure out the travels and the events here. The love story is reminiscent of a Fitzgerald novel, and the characterization of a Kafka... if that is possible. I enjoyed this film, but have added the novel to my reading list, because I think as hard as Bertolucci may have tried, this is a story about feelings and not about stunning landscapes.
½ August 10, 2011
Sooooo pretentious and annoying. Ugh!

Grade: F
July 13, 2011
I saw Debra Winger's lady region more than I would've cared to but other than that, a real bummer. Just the kind of movie I like.
April 9, 2011
I haven't read the book, but I think this movie gets way too much hate. Yet another hit from Bertolucci.
April 5, 2011
North Africa is so amazing. But its beauty seems to be killing in The Sheltering Sky. I wouldn't mind a trip into the desert.
March 31, 2011
A great movie for the traveler at heart...
February 14, 2011
2.5 Stars out of 4

I felt The Sheltering Sky exploited too much of its erotic themes and did not protrude it at the right times. Director Bernardo Bertolucci (1900, Last Tango In Paris) has transcended the difficulty of sexuality and its tendency to act as a barrier to certain will power. The Sheltering Sky is the opposite approach to Bertolucci's classic "love story". What happens is travellers Kit (Debra Winger) and Port (John Malkovich) Moresby are on an expedition through North Africa (in 1947) just after the World War, where Mussolini had occupied parts of the continent.

Oh, I should note: For the Moresby's the difference between a tourist and a traveller is a tourist thinks about going home the minute they arrive to their destination. A traveller may never consider going back. Interesting contrast, much of the Moresby's relationship is infected with the tourist -just "love" itself is not fulfilling enough and it is always looking back the other way.

The Moresby's try to fulfill their fantasies and copulate (literally) on the precipice of their marriage. As a terrible calamity occurs half way through the film, it is Debra Winger who pulls through as the frayed, tarnished, but indefatigable Kit, who develops the feminine grandeur of a T.E. Lawrence.

The film itself, based off the 1949 work by Paul Bowles, does not fulfill the requirements of his text. The Sheltering Sky has difficulty pointing out the transformations and amidst all its glorious cinematography (it was all done on location), you could not help but feel the film got the look down, just not the lyricism. When the film concludes on the voice of the estranged narrator, we feel confounded not riveted. The use of the supporting roles, such as Timothy Spall and Campbell Scott seems more like a luxury to the blank spaces than a tactic to generate emotion.
January 12, 2011
Gorgeous poster, and truth be told, it does look a bit boring. I'm still curious though.
January 12, 2011
Proof, if any were needed, that Paul Bowles's deep, spiritual novel was unfilmable, Bertolucci still manages to make this a notable experience, with the final third utterly mesmerising cinema. John Malkovich is, for once, well cast as the self-involved Port Moresby. Though he was never the most interesting thing about the novel. Debra Winger is surprisingly correct as Kit, devastatingly detached and anguished. The real hero here is Vittorio Storaro's stunning cinematography, with the final third largely playing out without dialogue, and hauntingly beautiful (though Kit's rehabilitation into society is very jarring). Bertolucci also directs this as romance removing any sexual deviance and threat from the novel. He directs with control and there is some lovely symbolism in the imagery but there is none of the threat or unease from the novel. A major mistake is Bowles's narration, so sporadic it's largely unnecessary (the final scene using his narration is also staggeringly inept). In the end it's beautiful but average, which is something that can be said for many of Bertolucci's films.
December 7, 2010
Un dramaaazo. Lo simpático es el título con que la distribuyeron en latinoamerica "Refugio para el amor" y la verdad es que nada de romántica tiene. Me gustó la forma en que van evolucionando los personajes en el trancurso de la historia y la sutileza de las imágenes en relación a la música -todo un lenguage cinematográfico- muy bien logrado.
December 7, 2010
Ah, the dangers of greener grass. I am an armchair traveler and I loved the book. I thought the film was very well done.
½ November 14, 2010
This is a bewildering film. I guess Bertolucci made it assuming the audience had read the novel. If you didn't as was my case, its tedious, confusing, and needlessly titillating. Gorgeous scenery and a wonderful cast is mostly wasted in this effort.
October 30, 2010
Unforgettable imagery. Powerful, more so than English Patient
½ October 29, 2010
Difficult to convey the brilliance of the book but well worth a look & some fantastic bits not too keen on the acting though!