The Shepherd of the Hills - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Shepherd of the Hills Reviews

May 5, 2015
150505: Took me a little bit of rewinding to figure out what had occurred in this story. Not a bad film. Bit predictable but not bad. Decent acting.
August 17, 2014
The Shepherd of the Hills is an excellent film. It is about a young Ozark backwoodsman forsworn to kill his father, who years earlier abandoned his mother. John Wayne and Betty Field give fantastic performances. The screenplay is well written. Henry Hathaway did a great job directing. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and adventure. The Shepherd of the Hills is a must see.
jjnxn
½ April 25, 2014
The Duke is a bit more introverted in this than was usual, delivering a quiet strong piece of work. Solid supporting work from the rest of the cast and beautiful Technicolor photography.
April 24, 2014
first talkie version of this tale
January 17, 2014
A nice movie to watch whenever you want to go back. Also a great outdoor theater play of Shepherd of the Hills is shown in Branson Missouri
August 15, 2013
Different film. Well acted by John Wayne.
August 4, 2013
I enjoyed every single moment of this wonderful film.
½ July 24, 2013
Really delightful film,John Wayne is in the film very little, Thankfully, but the rest of the cast carry this gentle story well,director Henry Hathaway paces this film out well as the story unfolds, [lovely]
July 4, 2012
Wednesday, July 4, 2012

(1941) The Shepherd Of The Hills
DRAMA/ WESTERN

Entertaining drama film starring John Wayne as a woodsman bent on avenging his mother to kill the father (Harry Carey) after abandoning him as a toddler and his mother as she was left to die. Story based from a novel written by Harold Bell Wright is in some ways similar idea to "The Searchers" but with a whole new situation as well as a different setting and different approach. John Wayne's persona is still intact and makes the most of it's forestry landscapes. The other thing I like about this film is that it doesn't seem to soap operish.

3 out of 4 stars
March 23, 2012
Really weird and quirky John Wayne film. I can honestly say that this is my least favorite of the Duke's movies.
½ October 14, 2011
Not at ALL like the book...just a warning.
July 9, 2011
Melodramatic throughout, but for the early 40's this is clearly and excellent piece of cinema.
July 3, 2011
March 12, 2011
really quite boring, some good performances and nice scenery but nothing much happens and it is very very dull
January 10, 2011
Better than expected. A solid, lyrical, visually compelling Western melodrama with a good performance by John Wayne.
½ October 10, 2010
Good story that is brought out of mediocrity by John Wayne and Harry Carrey who both give tremendous performances. Duke idolized Carrey as a kid, and you feel the respect both the legendary actors had for each other through their acting. Good movie, although a little predictable.
July 2, 2010
another good Wayne movie where he plays against type
½ May 1, 2010
I pretty good western. One thing I like about it is that it doesn't glorify violence like a lot of westerns have done, it shows that there is a price to pay an that it should not be the answer. Don't get me wrong I love a good western shoot out but it has a great message.
½ August 12, 2009
A slow John Ford like production of families in the Ozarks with Harry Carey at his best and John Wayne as his lost son. The more I see of Wayne in his earlier films the better he was. Especially, when Wayne played more flawed characters as he is here filled up with years of hate for a father he's never met. Untill now.