Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows Reviews

½ December 9, 2015
love this movie really adventurous
½ December 5, 2015
With the first "Sherlock Holmes" film, I had the complaint that the simple, classic character was turned into a bloated blockbuster by throwing in lots of action and science fiction. With "Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows", the scale and the bloated nature are increased by making this action-driven Holmes into a franchise. And while this film decreases the amount of unbelievable action, it also increases the silliness. These essentially offset, and the result is that "A Game of Shadows" is neither better nor worse than the original film.

In fact, it is basically the same film. Robert Downey, Jr. gives the same stellar performance. He makes the best of yet another sloppily-written plot and yet another bland adventure.

I always enjoy Robert Downey, Jr. and the charisma he brings to his films. But RDJ can only do so much for a film. "A Game of Shadows" is a prime example of this. Without Downey's performance, this film would be a disaster. With it, "A Game of Shadows" still has too many problems to call it a good film.
½ November 30, 2015
The first film of this series was for me of average quality, the kind of movie that felt like a generic Hollywood action adventure movie labelled as Sherlock Holmes. A Game of Shadows is however in my opinion a level up from the first instalment and a movie that is just generally funnier, better done action wise and all in all just generally much more thrilling. It isn't necessarily massively new and refreshing and can at times be pretty basic but take nothing away from this, this is a blockbuster done well. It again of course stars Robert Downey, Jr. as Holmes and Jude Law as Dr. Watson of which both are on the trail of that most famous of Holmes villains, Moriarty.

It excels in most part at getting the fighting done in a way which at least at times can feel pretty nice, nice in a way where it feels real of course. The slow motion used in certain scenes is fantastic, an addition that not only just makes parts of the movie more exciting but also it shows Guy Ritchie can do action very well indeed. As for Ritchie well he directs this kind of similar to the first one in the way it's paced but brings more out of the actors and characters they play, as mentioned it feels funnier and more thrilling and that is really down to Ritchie knowing what was needed to be done.

Additions to the cast like Stephen Fry, Jared Harris and Noomi Rapace do little to take away the staring role Downey, Jr. has but nevertheless I think they are good additions and make up a cast that is well put together. RDJ even sounds better in this one, I felt with the first he quite often mumbled and his lines came out at a frantic pace but in this he although can be a little too fast, still makes a better go of it. Jude Law as Watson is better as well and although neither is brilliant here they are good enough to not ruin this movie or rob it of any of its credibility.

The film can drag just a tiny bit toward the end and they do a decent job of not letting your attention drop, it does start to get more basic toward the end plot wise but by the end I felt satisfied enough. The score of Hans Zimmer + Lorne Balfe makes the action not only more pumped up but just generally sounds good, you can always count on both but especially Zimmer to create something pretty nice. The film can actually think itself pretty smart at times especially with the thought process Holmes goes to when just about to fight, of course if you see the first movie you are used to it but it still feels a little gimmicky how it is done and played out afterwards.

So overall Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows is one movie that is good and I think an improvement over the first one that felt so mediocre. Guy Ritchie hones in on his craft and truly makes something that although of course is big and can be typically blockbuster, is still a fun adventure and one that I think most can just about partly enjoy at the very least. Oh and the cinematography, it is really well done actually and the movie is also pretty well edited, the story flows very nicely and the way it looks especially in more fast moving or fighting scenes is one that is very good especially.
November 28, 2015
Next one I want to see for me. Let me know if you want to go.
½ November 13, 2015
A fun second installment to a cinematic adventure of a classic Anglo crime serial. Robert Downey, Jr. is masterful in his portrayal of Sherlock Holmes.

11/13/15
November 9, 2015
1 positive would be that i felt jude law played his role as dr. watson better than he did in the first one / i didnt really care for stephen fry in this even if him walking around naked is funny for some / i prfared the villian in the first one blackwood played by mark strong rather than professor moriarty / i gave the first one 4 stars i give this one 3 and a half stars its almost as good / maybe ill change my mind later. re.3.5-4
½ October 30, 2015
Another fun film, just not quite as good as the first
October 26, 2015
Very good combination of actors stumble to keep this stale film barely interesting.
October 18, 2015
The chemistry between RDJ and Jude Law is still better than the other Sherlock-Watson pairings on TV, and it helps the movie becasuse this isn't an origin story, but an arc that is one of the most interesting from the books. I'm glad I watched it.
½ October 17, 2015
I kind of expected more from this sequel '!
September 1, 2015
Stupendous! better than first one.
½ August 31, 2015
It seems that Sherlock Holmes 1 was like a preview for Sherlock Holmes 2: a longer more inept look at Holmes, Watson, Moriarty and the SWEETEST FX EVER!
August 29, 2015
A follow up that doesn't quite line up with it's predecessor.
August 21, 2015
This movie just seemed a bit of ramble, and it went on for a little too long. All the actors in this movie are great, and all p[lay their part well, but lacking a strong plot and hard to understand twists, Sherlock Holmes could have definitely been improved.
August 18, 2015
Kind of bland, really.
½ August 17, 2015
Not as slick or refined as the original but instead delivers a grander tale pitting Mr. Holmes against his great nemesis, Moriarty. Twice the action, same old fun.
½ August 14, 2015
Not as good as the first one but still good.
August 13, 2015
Robert Downey, Jr. Is excellent as always, great remake of a sleuth series
½ August 8, 2015
Love it. The way the Jude and Robert bounce off each other. Brilliant.
August 7, 2015
longer and more explosive, but doesn't beat the first