Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows Reviews

½ February 19, 2016
The cinematography was good. So are RDJ and Jude Law, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't getting drowsy at times.
February 12, 2016
In terms of action, adventure and cinematography it does step it up but the first one hit the balance so well that it's hard to step it up without leaning to one side of the scale. It's still a good time because of the bromance that is Lawney and also visually, it looks really good. But if you want something closer to the target in terms of a Sherlockian, Victorian London adventure you should check out the first
February 7, 2016
Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law return for Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows. There is a new criminal mastermind at large his name Professor Moriarty played by the astonishing Jared Harris. He will send the detectives on a wild adventure from England to France, Gypsy camps, Germany and at last Switzerland in a epic game of wits. The cunning Moriarty has proved himself to be Holmes' intellectual equal and always one step ahead. Guy Ritchie has put together a marvelous film that is action-packed, thrilling, smart and at times comedic. This is one to watch.
½ February 6, 2016
The sequel was slightly cheesy because the fact that there was a castle on Rechienbach falls...yes as I said previously I liked the fact that they do it their own way BUT if you basing a film on the book then don't add a castle or anything stupid like that into it...but we're waiting for the sequel to see how he actually faked his death
½ January 31, 2016
It's silly and convoluted, but it still a good movie with the star power, well filmed action and an overall sense of style.
January 30, 2016
The End ? Left indoubtly thrown for a loop; Chess & o2!
January 27, 2016
Far less engaging, stylish and satisfying as the original, A Game of Shadows is still as brilliantly comical but lacks the thrills and pacing of its predecessor.
½ January 26, 2016
Another installment that attempts to be more clever tries to take each explosion a bit bigger, each fight a bit longer and in its effort often loses touch with reality.
January 14, 2016
Though this film is much more easier to follow, "Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows" fails to deliver a decent script or a worthy adversary for our heroes. Moriarty was supposed to be Holmes's nemesis. A man who can match his wits and intelligence. However, the only thing I got from him is his henchmen doing all the dirty work and mostly him sitting on a chair talking, talking, and talking. Not much action coming from him. Plus how come no one recognized Holmes in his silly costumes? Not even the bad guy could recognized him and he's smart too! Ugh! This definitely felt like a cash in, lazily made sequel.
January 10, 2016
Loved the first one, watched it with my father. This should be awesome.
½ January 3, 2016
Just as good, if not somewhat better, than the first
January 2, 2016
One of the best interpretations of Sherlock Holmes, and certainly the best Sherlock Holmes movie made so far. Fun, smart, intelligent and the performances are all great (especially RDJ as Sherlock, who is SO good in this role, and Jared Harris as Moriarty, who both are dynamite when together) and it stayed true to the source material while also giving it a new style and adding new things to do. The mystery was well done, the relationships between the characters were good and it feels much like smart Sherlock Holmes rather than dumbing it down for Fast and the Furious action fans. I love it!
December 31, 2015
Although plot holes are numerous in this film, overall it is still impressive, from the amazing forest scene, the battle of wit between Sherlock and Moraity that continues in the whole film, and of course Robert Downey Jr. once again proving to be a perfect fit for his role. I am patiently awaiting a third installment to this great franchise.
½ December 31, 2015
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thinks that this second movie didn't as good as the first one.. From the performance, Robert Downey Jr. has did it again with his character as Sherlock Holmes, even Dr. John Watson's performance by Jude Law really got a lot of improvement too.. But their performance didn't help a lot as the story of this movie got the audiences a little confusing even though I know it's quite brilliant to make some twist like that.. The other disappointment is Noomi Rapace's performance which is for me just like a sweetener because of the death of Irene Adler, but she's nowhere for replacing Irene Adler.. Overall, for me this sequel is a little disappointment but I must appreciate Guy Ritchie's work since he did his best in here so this rating is the best that I can give to this movie..
December 22, 2015
Overall pretty average, but that "running through he forest while being shot and shelled" scene is so classic Guy Ritchie it's hard not to smile in awe.
December 15, 2015
If the first one was driven by the magnetic chemistry between the two leads and a good old-fashioned mystery plot, this sequel is fueled more by the action set-pieces. Downey, Jr and Law are just as likable and well-matched as they were in the predecessor, and the action sequences are quite exciting, even though it gets repetitive and seems to get louder and louder as it goes on. That's not to say it is a bad film, and you can certainly find some enjoyment in here. But the overall narrative is weak, and there isn't much to remember. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows is witty and visually stylish, but nothing more.
December 12, 2015
This is a perfect example of how the sequel could be better than the original. I have watched the movie several times and still keep finding something new; clues I might have missed before. Definitely re-watchable movie, can be funny and thrilling and suspenseful at the same time, despite the sense of inevitability which is the ending scene. Robert Downey jr. as usual masterfully brings life into his character. I could actually "see" Sherlock's thinking process without him saying a word.
½ December 9, 2015
love this movie really adventurous
½ December 5, 2015
With the first "Sherlock Holmes" film, I had the complaint that the simple, classic character was turned into a bloated blockbuster by throwing in lots of action and science fiction. With "Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows", the scale and the bloated nature are increased by making this action-driven Holmes into a franchise. And while this film decreases the amount of unbelievable action, it also increases the silliness. These essentially offset, and the result is that "A Game of Shadows" is neither better nor worse than the original film.

In fact, it is basically the same film. Robert Downey, Jr. gives the same stellar performance. He makes the best of yet another sloppily-written plot and yet another bland adventure.

I always enjoy Robert Downey, Jr. and the charisma he brings to his films. But RDJ can only do so much for a film. "A Game of Shadows" is a prime example of this. Without Downey's performance, this film would be a disaster. With it, "A Game of Shadows" still has too many problems to call it a good film.
½ November 30, 2015
The first film of this series was for me of average quality, the kind of movie that felt like a generic Hollywood action adventure movie labelled as Sherlock Holmes. A Game of Shadows is however in my opinion a level up from the first instalment and a movie that is just generally funnier, better done action wise and all in all just generally much more thrilling. It isn't necessarily massively new and refreshing and can at times be pretty basic but take nothing away from this, this is a blockbuster done well. It again of course stars Robert Downey, Jr. as Holmes and Jude Law as Dr. Watson of which both are on the trail of that most famous of Holmes villains, Moriarty.

It excels in most part at getting the fighting done in a way which at least at times can feel pretty nice, nice in a way where it feels real of course. The slow motion used in certain scenes is fantastic, an addition that not only just makes parts of the movie more exciting but also it shows Guy Ritchie can do action very well indeed. As for Ritchie well he directs this kind of similar to the first one in the way it's paced but brings more out of the actors and characters they play, as mentioned it feels funnier and more thrilling and that is really down to Ritchie knowing what was needed to be done.

Additions to the cast like Stephen Fry, Jared Harris and Noomi Rapace do little to take away the staring role Downey, Jr. has but nevertheless I think they are good additions and make up a cast that is well put together. RDJ even sounds better in this one, I felt with the first he quite often mumbled and his lines came out at a frantic pace but in this he although can be a little too fast, still makes a better go of it. Jude Law as Watson is better as well and although neither is brilliant here they are good enough to not ruin this movie or rob it of any of its credibility.

The film can drag just a tiny bit toward the end and they do a decent job of not letting your attention drop, it does start to get more basic toward the end plot wise but by the end I felt satisfied enough. The score of Hans Zimmer + Lorne Balfe makes the action not only more pumped up but just generally sounds good, you can always count on both but especially Zimmer to create something pretty nice. The film can actually think itself pretty smart at times especially with the thought process Holmes goes to when just about to fight, of course if you see the first movie you are used to it but it still feels a little gimmicky how it is done and played out afterwards.

So overall Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows is one movie that is good and I think an improvement over the first one that felt so mediocre. Guy Ritchie hones in on his craft and truly makes something that although of course is big and can be typically blockbuster, is still a fun adventure and one that I think most can just about partly enjoy at the very least. Oh and the cinematography, it is really well done actually and the movie is also pretty well edited, the story flows very nicely and the way it looks especially in more fast moving or fighting scenes is one that is very good especially.