Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Weapon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Weapon Reviews

½ July 5, 2014
Possibly I've just seen Secret Weapon one too many times (or it could be the jet lag) but this rendition of Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce attempting to outfox the Nazis seems just a cut below their usual high standard (for genre pics). The plot, freely adapted from Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's "Adventure of the Dancing Men", utilizes an alphabet substitution code that admittedly fits well into the wartime (not Victorian) milieu. Holmes dons not one, not two, but three different disguises to confuse and perturb the enemy (but not, of course, the audience). However, the insertion of Moriarty into the action creates a mishmash of story threads that don't really cohere, even if his dastardly tricks do provide some competition for our master sleuth.
June 10, 2013
Not a great Sherlock (too many plot holes), but one that's entertaining, never dull and has a lot of intrigues going for it.
June 6, 2013
The fourth partnership with Rathbone and Bruce as Holmes and Watson. The second one transferred in time to WWII. Dr. Tobel (Post), of Switzerland, has invented the secret weapon in question and Holmes is assigned to keep him and it out of the hands of the Nazis. A couple of the clues Holmes follows when Tobel goes missing harken back to Doyle's stories, but otherwise it doesn't have much in common with the literary creation. Sherlock dons a couple good disguises and the settings are fairly interesting. However, this Dr. Watson is pretty useless as is Lestrade, the mystery is not gripping, nor is Moriarty (Atwill) that threatening, and I don't like the changes to costumes, vehicles, or historical context to cheapen the costs.
June 2, 2013
Really kinda silly propoganda, but a great entry in the Basil Rathbone Holmes series. Nigel Bruce is still a problem, but Lionel Atwill's Mortiarty is a genuine hammy treat.
March 30, 2013
Sherlock Holmes fighting Nazis! Sound great! It's not.
August 4, 2012
Middling effort--Fun Diversion But That's All!!
August 4, 2012
Sherlock and Watson's second wartime adventure. This time the forced patriotism isn't as prevalent which gives way to an interesting story that uses the wartime backdrop to great effect. Holmes, once again played by the phenomenally good Rathbone, helps a scientist with a Secret Weapon to escape Switzerland without running foul of Nazis. Once back in England, the scientist develops his weapon for the British government but an old nemesis of Holmes' is back to wreak havoc. The film has the typical but always amusing banter between Holmes and Watson, with Lestrade also given a number of key scenes to play off the pair. The mystery itself is a bit up and down at times. We are told the answer before Holmes or Moriarty work it out which means they are playing catch-up with us. Also with the short running time there is no time for any character development. It is all exposition. Character was particularly important here, as one could argue against the scientist's choices in how he deals with the situation. A fun and fast paced entry.
July 29, 2012
One of the worse Sherlock Holmes movies with Basil Rathbone as the leading man. While Holmes' indisputable style and wit are still intact, and Dr Watson is as clumsy and funny as always, the action is simply too slow, and the mystery doesn't seem engaging enough. While most of the other installment in the long series seem strong, the clash between the legendary and his arch nemesis seems too bleak to fully entertain.
½ July 21, 2012
goood but doesnt feeling like a sherlock holmes movie
June 13, 2012
Not as mysterious as one would expect, but still entertaining.
½ April 14, 2012
Good Holmes film set during ww2.
March 31, 2012
I had the chance not too long ago to see this with a small crowd in a theatre, and I had a lot of fun in the process. I don't know if The Secret Weapon is one of Holmes' best outtings, but it's certainly enjoyable. The beginning is kind of slow and it takes a bit to get the plot underway (more so than usual), but it gets better and better as the film goes along. Again, Moriarty is up to no good, this time trying to steal a nuclear weapon. The pace is a little more lax than other films in the series, but there's enough story instead of constant expository dialogue to make up for it. The ending is also quite biting, and makes the whole film worth watching, in my opinion. I'm looking forward to seeing more of these films in the future.
FilmFanatik
December 15, 2011
½ September 5, 2011
SHERLOCK HOLMES AND THE SECRET WEAPON (1942)
½ June 29, 2011
Holmes hjälper en schweitzisk vetenskapsman att fly från Gestapo till London. Vetenskapsmannen har uppfunnit ett nytt sätt att precisionsbomba och inte bara det brittiska försvaret och Gestaspo vill ha tag i denna uppfinning utan även Holmes ärkenemesis Professor Moriarty vill få sina smutsiga fingrar på den. Milt underhållande.
½ June 19, 2011
t's got everything it needs to be great, Suspense, mystery, and confusion to make a great Sherlock Holmes mystery, ill admit that at the beginning Holmes's disguise had me fooled, I did not know it was him until Watson figured him out. Holmes finally meets his match in this film we find out that he had been outsmarted more than once which is completely against everything that we know about Holmes. I also quite liked the cipher which I recognized from The adventure of the dancing men, I like how they did not solve it right away, it took time even for Holmes to figure out however the solution seemed a bit obvious. Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Weapon is great fun to watch with some mysterious parts but there are also some very obvious parts that Holmes would have easily solved.
June 9, 2011
This was a fascinating look into 1942 British propaganda. Here we have the famous Rathbone/Bruce pairing as the great detective and his well-meaning sidekick. To its credit, this movie harps less on Dr. Watson's ineffectuality than many of the later ones, and allows him several moments of, at least, usefulness. The pro-English sentiment runs high, a clear attempt to bolster morale, particularly in the wonderful little interchange between Watson and Holmes at the end, complete with a modified quote from Richard II.
May 10, 2011
Sherlock Holmes is still stuck in WWII fighting Nazis...well, he's fighting Moriarty here who is working for the Nazis. Lionel Atwill, who was so bloody fantastic as the good doctor Mortimer in The Hound of the Baskervilles, is Moriarty this time out and, surprisingly, he's not as good as The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' Moriarty, George Zucco. Atwill is just a tad obvious here. And the plot to rescue a Swiss inventor is just not as engaging as the previous Rathbone outings. Decent, but after this one, I'd like to see Holmes get outta WWII quick. VF.
April 25, 2011
Worth a watch if you're a fan of the detective.