Sherlock Holmes and the Woman in Green - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sherlock Holmes and the Woman in Green Reviews

July 24, 2010
This is my favourite Sherlock Holmes movie.
½ July 12, 2010
Nice to see a movie tell a tale in a little more than an hour, it was a tight package. Rathbone is convincing as a Sherlock, but the plot is not because I didn't beliebe in it. Watson is such a wimp in these old Sherlock Holmes movies that it's painful to watch. Jude Law updated the character nicely in the new version.
½ June 26, 2010
In my opinion the most well acted and most interesting Sherlock Holmes movie of them all. Basil Rathbone gives his best performance as Holmes and Bruce is his usual self as Watson who occasionally bumbles his way into brilliance. I also rather liked how it seemed to stay true to the Doyle style writing where it leaves you puzzled but he also makes you draw your own conclusions which are sometimes correct he doesn't make you guess too much but he does leave me hanging at times. I actually found the first half of this film very brilliant particularly the scene where Holmes is playing his violin that fits the scene brilliantly. I rather enjoyed this film, although it isn't as good as the adaptation of The Hounds of Baskervilles it is still a very good film that holds up to the rest of them and will stand as one of the greatest Sherlock Holmes movies ever made.
May 9, 2010
Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce were never my favorite crime duo. Nigel acted so stupid and Basil so stereotypical Holmes. Jeremy Brett was my favorite from the PBS series.

That said, this is a watchable if sometimes laughable film. Seeing glamour gal woman in green scene lost it for me.

Anyway this b&w classic was released on VHS long before DVD.

RT did the details:

RT Synopsis: When four women are found murdered--each missing their right forefinger--a baffled Scotland Yard calls in master sleuth Sherlock Holmes (Basil Rathbone) and his faithful cohort Dr. Watson (Nigel... When four women are found murdered--each missing their right forefinger--

a baffled Scotland Yard calls in master sleuth Sherlock Holmes (Basil Rathbone) and his faithful cohort Dr. Watson (Nigel Bruce) to help crack the case.

Believing the murders to be the work of a criminal mastermind, Holmes follows the trail to a society of hypnotists and a mysterious, beautiful woman named Lydia Marlow (Hillary Brooke).

It isn't long before Holmes discovers a web of hypnosis and blackmail that leads him to his archenemy, the evil Professor Moriarty (Henry Daniell), who lures the detective into a dangerous trance from which he may never awake.

Based on the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle story "The Empty House," THE WOMAN IN GREEN marks the last of the classic Rathbone films to be penned by Holmes regular Bertram Millhauser.--- RT synopsis (not mine)
March 27, 2010
Interesting but placing a lot of the blame on hypnotism was a bit sill. Glad that Moriarty was mainly responsible though.
February 12, 2010
Slightly under par entry in the Rathbone/Bruce series with a disappointing Henry Daniell as Moriarty and a few rare scenes of padding. Of course Rathbone and Bruce are great as ever, Watson being made a complete fool of this time after being hypnotised at The Mesma Club!! Hillary Brooke is also good as the titular Woman in Green, but in the end her back story is not adequately fleshed out.
January 31, 2010
Basil Rathbonea pidetaan Jeremy Brettin ohella parhaana Sherlock Holmesina. no kyllahan han oli mainio roolissaan, mutta muuten tama ei ollut parasta Holmesia. Watson oli jotenki liian holmo eika tama muutenkaan toiminut minua miellyttavalla tavalla
½ January 25, 2010
An enjoyable movie. One of the lighter, truly-watchable ones in the series!
January 23, 2010
Another great from the master of sleuthing.
January 5, 2010
Stylish Holmes entry made better by the fine performance of Hillary Brooke, who usually plays "the girl" to comics like Abbott and Costello and Bob Hope. The inclusion of Moriarity to this story seems a bit forced, as if the filmmakers didn't think the audience would believe Brooke could be the mastermind behind the series of murders in which young girls are killed and then get a finger amputated.
Rathbone is always good at Holmes, but note how awkward he comes off when trying to charm the Woman in Green!
½ January 1, 2010
Lacked a fair amount of intrigue, but interesting to watch an old Shirlock Homes movie. From what I've read, the first two Homes films with Rathbone are the ones to find.
½ December 9, 2009
This was something that I really tried to get into but it just wasn't as good as I expected. I plan on watching some more of these with Basil Rathbone as I heard that these movies were pretty good. This was alright, with some decent acting, but I thought that this could have and should have been better.
½ November 3, 2009
I found this review by dhetteix rather useful:

"this particular outing for Holmes is a bit of a letdown.
To be sure, the themes of Hypnotism and serial-killing are out-and-out Doyle, but the inclusion of Moriarty, seemingly included for effect, merely softens the plot by introducing a major character for a somewhat brief caper.

The film starts strong, yet ends predictably, with none of Holmes' deductive reasoning being revealed. Whilst strong in all other ways, the movie thus forgets the first rule of a Mystery plot: to remain mysterious."
October 20, 2009
Rathbone makes for a very charismatic Holmes and even Bruce makes a decent job of his unappealing role as a bumbling idiot of a Watson. The pace of the film is extremely rushed and makes everything feels forced, although that might actually be a good thing in this out of time piece. Keep your eyes peeled for the single canon shoutout, as this movie is not for book fans.
½ September 24, 2009
Disappointing. The production value is lousy, and the story just doesn't hold a candle to the Doyle stories.
½ September 12, 2009
A surprisingly realistic take on hypnosis for the 1940s. A decent Holmes story in the tradition of Arthur Connan Doyle.
DrLappos
½ July 15, 2009
Despite the hugely camp nature of their relationship I couldnt help but love the way in which Rathbone and Bruce worked together in theses detective movies...Superb and still watchable now..
June 30, 2009
This is the ONE film that carries the quintessential Professor Moriarty, played by Henry Daniell. Rathbone agrees. His understated performance is absolutely disturbing & twisted. Diabolically delectable!

Though you got the sense that this Moriarty was not one who was going for the gusto, concocting the greatest plan ever to take over the world. You got the sense that he was sort of back from the dead planning one final retirement scheme. A relatively simple plan.

The scene with Holmes & Moriarty is perhaps the best single scene in the entire series. The tension is palpable & the dialogue is delicious.
June 24, 2009
This was the first Sherlock Holmes movie with the duo Rathbone/Bruce that I saw and I wasn't totally happy with it. They could have done more with it if the movie was a bit longer. Now some things had to be rushed and felt unnaturally. The story itself was quite entertaining and Rathbone did a fine job portraying Holmes. The humor of Bruce was a welcoming change to the seriousness of Rathbone. Henry Daniell was good as Moriarty although I found the part of where he comes to Holmes' house pretty hard to believe. Hillary Brooke was even better as Lydia, 'the woman in green'. But I felt they should have mentioned once that she wore green, nothing in the whole movie explains the title really.
½ June 7, 2009
Average entry in the Rathbone/Bruce series is highlighted by a particularly macabre plot (severed fingers serve as a bizarre gateway to blackmail) and some very noirish touches by director Roy William Neill. The use of shadows is impressively mysterious. Rathbone is as always 100% committed to the role and never throws anything away in his performance. Notice how even just the act of falling asleep under hypnosis is played with some flair. Bruce's bumbling turn is not as amusing as it is annoying in this one. Henry Daniell is the most low-key Moriarty on film. His presence should have added more as it did in the Body Snatcher, but here he seems to be slumming. His last minute attempt to escape comes as a surprising showcase of life in the character. The use of hypnosis in the story lends it a B-movie horror sensibility that is enjoyable.