Sherlock Holmes in Pursuit to Algiers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sherlock Holmes in Pursuit to Algiers Reviews

½ January 2, 2017
The third entry made in 1945 for the Rathbone and Bruce Holmes series. It's the 11th one in the over-all series and the 10th in the Universal Rathbone and Bruce Holmes series. This is one of the weaker entries in the series but is still enjoyable. Suspense really doesn't show up in this one. There are a couple of a twist to the film, though astute viewers may see it coming before others do. On Blu-Ray.
½ August 8, 2016
Minor but enjoyable Holmes

The best scenes in Pursuit to Algiers are the opening ones set in London: they're very atmospheric, with puzzling goings-on that could have come right out of one of Doyle's original stories. After that the film quickly turns into a well-crafted but fairly ordinary "conveyance mystery," that is, one dealing with murder afoot on a train or (as in this case) a boat.

Leslie Vincent unfortunately gives a weak performance in a key role, but there is also a well portrayed trio of sinister villains aboard ship, and the brief scenes by character actress Rosalind Ivan as an eccentric grande dame provide interest. Marjorie Riordan's singing is less tedious than B-movie musical interludes usually are, but for fans of the series the film's high point is likely to be Nigel Bruce's charming rendition of "Loch Lomand."

If you like the Rathbone/Bruce Holmes films, you'll certainly want to add this movie to your list. It's a lesser entry in the series though, so if you haven't seen any of them you might want to start with one of the better ones.

I saw this on the MPI standard DVD, which I've seen advertised both as a stand-alone and as part of double or collection sets; the DVD quality is good.
March 29, 2015
good entry in the Sherlock holmes series
July 14, 2014
This story is about espionage while travelling on a ship to Algiers. Basil Rathbone is the only true Sherlock.
½ November 12, 2013
Possibly the weakest of all of the Rathbone and Bruce Holmes movies. After a terrific start, we are then given tedious hokum on board a boat for most of the film. Algiers is but a pipe dream!
September 30, 2012
Pretty awesome way to finish off (for me that is, I previously had watched the final two in the series earlier in the year (or maybe earlier than that loll) The Basil Rathbone / Nige Bruce Sherlock Holmes series. Holmes and Watson are on board a ship trying to protect a young head of a foreign country from being kidnapped or killed. They take a cruise ship to where they're supposed to go with a lot of suspicious characters. Who are they and why are they are on board? All of them are explained in due time. This is all terribly entertaining as the plot, although with some implausabilities, twists and turns to it's delightful (but again, somewhat implausable) surprise ending. One of the best!
½ September 10, 2012
One of the more humorous and lightsome entries in the series. With a few crowd-pleasing sequences (all singing and all dancing) Holmes and Watson have to protect a very important person on a ship full of assassins ready to act. What's surprising about Pursuit to Algiers is the fact that the actual suspense, presented in the end nevertheless, is as shocking as it's never been before.
May 19, 2012
i thank this is one of the best of all that i have seen what do you think?
April 17, 2012
Terrific film in the series!
½ June 14, 2011
The film has a great setting confined on the transatlantic ocean liner set sail for Algiers, but the proceedings are some of the dullest in the series. It is kinda cute to hear Nigel Bruce belt out a tune and his recietal of The Giant Rat of Sumatra is geeky cool even if we don't get all the details, but for the most part this one fails to entertain. Meh. VF.
June 13, 2011
"Watson: I don't understand, Holmes! She seems such a nice girl! She sings charmingly!
Holmes: My dear fellow, musical talent is hardly evidence of innocence. Moriarity was a virtuoso on the bassoon."

Well, I never knew that.
Holmes has the task of protecting Prince Nikolas of Rovinia from some shady assassins on board a passenger ship bound for Algiers. But just who are the assassins? The old bag with a liking for hiking? The American chanteuse who Watson has taken a shine to? Could be - after all, as Holmes says, "Poison is a woman's weapon." A so-so entry in the series, which doesn't really get going until Mr Mirko the knife-thrower and his two associates come aboard. I liked the neat twist at the end - especially welcome as Watson makes some suggestion earlier in the film that Holmes's faculties aren't what they were. I could have done without hearing Watson singing though. There's no fool like an old fool.
December 25, 2010
Very good. Fun story, where the Rathbone Holmes is portrayed as more of a master manipulator, rather than an incisive mystery-solver. Bruce's bumbling Watson is put to good use, and the story moves at a rapid pace. Sometimes there's not much to identify these individual Universal Holmes adventures, but this one puts a different enough spin on the old formula to be satisfying.
½ October 7, 2010
It was okay but in my opinion this was the weakest Sherlock Holmes movie made.
½ February 24, 2010
My favorite in the series!
½ February 12, 2010
Holmes and Watson are joined by an eccentric group of passengers on a swedish passenger ship on route to Algiers. Entertaining, witty and the chemistry between Rathbone and Bruce is as wonderful to watch as ever.
½ January 28, 2010
Another case safely closed by the brilliant team of Holmes and Watson.
September 24, 2009
Notable for its multiple red herrings, and not much else. As always the case, however, it's a quick bit of light entertainment.
August 24, 2009
Holmes on a boat pretty much sums up this trite adventure. The Watson scenes are painful comedy to watch and when he sings, oh my. Rathbone can save just about anything, but it takes all his screen presence to salvage this sinking ship of a mystery.