The Sign of Four: Sherlock Holmes' Greatest Case - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Sign of Four: Sherlock Holmes' Greatest Case Reviews

April 2, 2014
This is really good and follows the story of Conan Doyle. I favor Wontner's Holmes over Rathbone because he is good humored. Also, this movie has not the homosexual innuendo that is presently being played in the role.
January 5, 2010
This is my first Sherlock Homes movie and I must admit to quite like it. I would have liked the mystery to be a little more intense but it still held quite firm. The actors are enchanting and the facts about India also quite well presented.
½ December 2, 2009
Wontner plays Holmes as a more physically able private detective with a sense of humor. He is a master of disguise, but never wears the iconic deerstalker hat. Hunter is a younger Dr. Watson, who also has a humorous repartee with Holmes and can hold his own in a fist fight. The villain is quite dangerous from the beginning and the fact that years pass before Holmes is brought on the case (about 20 minutes into the movie) makes the story interesting, though we know who the criminal is and what he is after. This British movie seemed quite action packed for the time with a motor boat chase and a big warehouse fight.
February 2, 2007
6.5/10. Still very potent mystry thriller with Arthur Wontner making a very good Sherlock Holmes. Fine writing, well acted and very compelling, iun spite of it's age. It has held up very well over the many years.