Sherlock Jr. Reviews

• Mar 21, 2019

A wonderful jem from the silent film era. Keaton combines incredible stunts with fantastic visual gags, to create one of the best movies I've ever seen. A breathtaking film.

• Jan 26, 2019

The best, GREATEST comedy movie ever made!

The best, GREATEST comedy movie ever made!

• Dec 07, 2018

Keaton's mime art defines the genre at its best, innocently poignant and genuinely heartwarming. Sherlock Jr. Keaton's mime art defines the genre at its best, innocently poignant and genuinely heartwarming. This masterpiece has a certain knack for creating a long lasting impression on you with its humbleness and gullible nature which from the first frame you start to adore. This is not you usual good over evil triumph natured script. It is another Monday on this sketchy comic world. The first sequence itself is so tightly packed and flows fluently with mature narration that you are hooked within this first few minutes and you have achieved a thorough insight on these three dimensional characters. Naturally it's a sort of writing that depends completely upon the physical sequences. And the first one consisting the protagonist gathering up money for his love interest shows you the humble and kind nature of it. And after you have hold on to his ideologies the bizarre shadow walking and leaping from a building to another one just feels natural due to his fluent body language. The chase scene with him riding a bike blindly, crossing forests and rivers is pure genius, something that cannot ever be recreated like such. But among all these gags the best is Keaton trying to play the pool, it is flat out hilarious from the way it is weaved out and is executed, each notion of that trick is magic. To get a much free and wider range to flaunt his ludicrous theories, the concept he adapted is fascinating and creative. As a performer too, he is jaggedly on mark on foliating the emotions and the perfect example is the last act where you sink deeply in its mellow and sweet love track. Sherlock Jr. is one of those rare silent films that shocked the viewers then as much as it does now, it is an overwhelming experience to watch these characters come alive on screen.

• Oct 29, 2018

Buster Keaton might not be on the same level as Charlie Chaplin, but this movie is definitely a good piece of filmography on his resume Overall Grade: A- (9/10)

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Aug 31, 2018

Simply a marvel of ideas and execution, Keaton's imagination alone is a bullet ride across The Twilight Zone and The Wizard Of Oz at the same time. Breathtaking work. That it's a comedy is only the cherry on top.

• Jul 14, 2018

A classic of the Silent Era. A young man works as a projectionist at a movie theatre but dreams of becoming a famous detective. His studies toward this goal are put to the test when visiting his girlfriend. A rival steals his girlfriend's father's watch and frames him for the crime. He is forbidden from seeing her again. Now he must fight to clear his name. Buster Keaton at his finest - a classic of the Silent Era. Good plot, all of which is a central structure around which Keaton can build some incredibly clever scenes, sub-plots and sight gags. Some of these are brilliantly funny and intelligent, as Keaton toys mercilessly with the audience. The pool scene - the adventure of the exploding ball - is a great example. Some very clever cinematography and editing too - some of the visual effects and stunts were quite innovative for their time. Superb.

• May 08, 2018

Fantastic film! Very memorable, funny, and classic! Kept me entertained the whole way!

• Jan 03, 2018

stunts galore, slapstick humour and a great acting performance from Buster Keaton. He is wrongly accused of stealing a pocketwatch so becomes detective to follow the person he suspects. The second half is him dreaming of saving the girl from the bad guys, whilst working as a movie theatre protectionist. Very funny and very entertaining for a silent film from 1924

• Dec 31, 2017

Keaton did not fail to maximize every action and prop possible to create the highest leverage set of fantastical gags that lure the mind to seek to see what is not there, when it is all there! He is simple in his selection of tools to create timeless films. Which is disheartening in this time where there is an endless resources for filmmakers but with few worth to last through time . . .

• Oct 02, 2017

Buster Keaton usually gets praise for his superb physical comedy, and commitment to a sight gag. I do find a lot of that stuff funny, even though if I compare, Chaplin might have a slightly better handle on it. There were a number of times in Sherlock Jr. that I was laughing out loud because he nailed the comedic timing and knows how to setup and payoff a joke. What I don’t often see Keaton getting praise for is his skill and inventiveness in movie-making. Some of the tricks I see in this film feel light-years ahead of the other movies being made at the same time. I am constantly stunned at the effects that he pulls off, to the point that I almost want to watch a documentary about the making of the movie as much as I want to rewatch the movie itself. Sherlock Jr. is practically a short film. At 45 minutes, it pushes the boundaries of what most would qualify as a feature film. Because of this it doesn’t have an in-depth story that it’s trying to tell, it’s actually pretty simple. I was a little disappointed that it wasn’t all that much about a mystery, like I expected with the title, but it was still a fun plot. The way they used the dream sequence to tell a story within a story was nice, and it gave Buster Keaton the freedom to play 2 characters. I thought the real genius scene of the film, despite all the intricate camera tricks and fancy stunts that came before, was that simple conclusion. Keaton gets a few minutes alone with the girls and he performs so masterfully you can’t help but be charmed. I enjoyed Sherlock Jr., and will be glad to watch it again any time.