Sherman's Way - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sherman's Way Reviews

LWOODS04
February 24, 2012
Cast: James LeGros, Enrico Colantoni, Michael Shulman, Lacey Chabert, Donna Murphy, Brooke Nevin, M. Emmet Walsh, Thomas Ian Nicholas, Tad Hilgenbrink, Tom Nance

Director: Craig M. Saavedra

Summary: When uptight Yale law student Sherman (Michael Shulman) gets dumped by his girlfriend (Lacey Chabert) and cut off from the family fortune in one fell swoop, he hitches a ride to Los Angeles with former Olympic ski champion Palmer (James LeGros) in this captivating indie comedy. A series of unexpected adventures with the eccentric slacker begins to open Sherman's eyes to some new realities.

My Thoughts: "Anytime I see a film that involves a 'road-trip', I'm all for seeing it. Some are much better then other's, and this film falls in the other category. I didn't hate the film, I actually found it to be quite funny at times. But the acting and story could have been better. Also there wasn't much of a road-trip flick as it is just someone spontaneously hitch-hiking. They really only stop at one place. Palmer and his friend DJ are free spirits and lets life happen instead of trying to make it happen which is the opposite of Sherman. The longer Sherman is around these two gentlemen the more he comes out of his shell and as the saying goes, off his high horse. When Sherman meets the off-beat quirky Addy, the shell comes completely off and Sherman starts to come into his own person and not what his mother molded him into. There are many moments when the men try to get in touch with their sensitive sides, but as they are men, it soon turns into a joke or a snide remark. The film is funny and Palmer keeps the movie interesting. Worth seeing at least once."
August 15, 2011
Basic coming of age story of a boy deciding what he wants to do with his life while meeting a girl and helping an estranged father work on a car that is to be a graduation gift several years too late.
June 17, 2011
Thank you Movieplex, for giving me this endearingly well-written & excellently cast movie to watch during my fit of GERD-induced insomnia.
April 3, 2011
"Sherman's Way" recycles the plots of "Risky Business" and "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" without all of that pesky comedy. If you like the emotional depth of a comedy without anything actually funny, then this is for you. If you already watched and enjoyed "Sherman's Way", then you will love "The World's Fastest Indian" with Anthony Hopkins.
½ March 6, 2010
51/100. This film is so tired and predictable, very tedious to sit through. The performers do well, but they don't have much to work with. Decent score. The movie lacks substance and originality and gets downright boring at times. It does have some excellent cinematography at least.
½ March 6, 2010
December 17, 2009
This movie was not well liked by the critics or even some viewers for that matter; I am not sure why. I liked this movie very much. I thought it was a pretty funny and a decent story. The acting wasn?t the best, but I?ve seen worse acting get higher praise. Maybe it is just me, maybe I was just tired, I don?t know, but I enjoyed this movie a lot more than most.

Sherman?s Way is about an annoying young student from Yale who is studying to be a lawyer. He doesn?t really know why he wants to be a lawyer all he knows is that it?s a good living and he?ll make a lot of money doing it. Money is very important to him. He was raised by a very well off and powerful mother who is constantly featured on the cover of business magazines. Sherman is an only child; if he is ever in trouble all he has to do is call Mommy and she will bail him out of anything. He is also extremely conceited, elitist, pompous, and anal retentive. He buys things just to say that he has them, he looks at art just to say that he has seen it and not because he likes or appreciates those things. That is Sherman Black. He is just not a lovable character. He is one of those characters you want to smack in the face.

The movie starts out with Sherman and his current?soon to be ex-girlfriend?having a discussion about the upcoming summer. She wants him to do something spontaneous, leave the boring job that Mommy set up for him using her powers and go to California with her and spend a romantic summer together. Sherman of course reluctantly turns her down, breaking her heart. He just can?t bring himself to go against his mother. However, Sherman later decides to go for broke in spite of his mother?s wishes. He quits his internship and goes to California to surprise his girlfriend. He?s tired of being told that he depends on his mother too much. He wants to prove to people that he can make it on his own; his life is about to start.

When he gets to California he discovers that his relationship with his girlfriend has ended and Sherman is left angry and wanting to go back home. To get back to the airport he decides to be impulsive again to prove to his now ex-girlfriend that he is spontaneous, and so he hitchhikes. That?s when he meets Palmer. Sherman and Palmer are polar opposites. Sherman is the type of guy that plans everything to the tee while Palmer just lives on the edge. Palmer is a simple man. He believes that you make the best with what you have. He doesn?t have any responsibilities and doesn?t want any. Earlier in his life he had been an Olympic athlete, but after several unsuccessful tries he gave it up. He gets by in life by bringing up his Olympic past in hopes to get a quick gig when he needs money or a favor. He has no goal in life other than to live for the day.

The two characters are hilarious together. I love how they both interact with each other, both getting under each other?s skins. There?s one scene where they are both at a diner and Sherman offers to pay to show his gratitude towards Palmer for driving him to the airport. However, when he discovers that he lost his wallet he decides to give in and call his mother to ask for her help, which for the first time in his life, he doesn?t get. When he comes back, Palmer had worked out a plan to leave the diner without having to pay. Sherman at first didn?t want to do it, but what else could they do, he had no money. Palmer leaves first. He pretends to go to the restroom and exits out the back door. Then after waiting a few minutes Sherman gets up, but he is spotted by the waitress who chases him out the door. Sherman runs towards and dives into the car; they take off. Sherman was mortified! He couldn?t believe that Palmer had just made him skip out on the bill. However, Palmer suddenly confesses that he in fact paid the bill in full and that he was just having a little fun with him. The waitress had been chasing them because they forgot their change. There are many scenes like this throughout the movie, however they mixed it up a bit so they weren?t using the same jokes over and over.

I must say, I loved this combination of pompous and slack-ass put together. I found the movie to be very funny as both tried to teach the other to be less of a prude or more responsible. In the end they balanced each other out very nicely. They both learned a lot from each other and the experience they shared made them better people. The movie isn?t perfect, not even close, but it is funny and well worth a chance.
November 8, 2009
"a quirky exploration of friendship, fatherhood and the universal task of finding one's place in the world"

Indeed it is with a certain charm. Its not original but its good. strong and entertaining with quality characters to match played well by the entire cast.
October 11, 2009
This was a movie that heading into it I was afraid that it could be seriously hampered by the low rate quality of the film. As it started out I started to have issues with the poor dialogue as well. Sucking it up I decided to sit this one all the way through and was pleasantly surprised by how it turned out. Overall I thought this film ended up being pretty solid as far as indy flicks go. I would say if you're a fan of these types of stories (I.E., loser shlub lost in life finds his way and becomes a strong person with a strong sense of identity) then check it out, otherwise it may not be the one for you.
September 26, 2009
I thoroughly enjoyed this movie.
September 1, 2009
If I'm bored, I might rend it.
August 30, 2009
"When you have money you think you're important and you have friends! What you don't know is you have friends because you have money and the truth is all you really have is yourself."
½ August 17, 2009
I had never heard of this indie film until I saw it on Netflix Watch Instantly.. otherwise I would have never seen this interesting comedy. It had interesting characters, decent character development and some great actors however I felt like Michael Shulman could have been a bit more believable in some ways but he did play the whole stuck up rich kid attitude pretty well.
August 15, 2009
An agreeable little film, rendered even more pleasant for me by my own memories of similar, beat-up old convertibles in childhood and college. Brooke Nevin is charming as the eventual love-interest, but the movie's own charms are limited in scope.
August 15, 2009
Predictable, but enjoyable
August 10, 2009
The first 5 minutes were predictable but very funny, after that it was more like a Drama with some comical moments sprinkled in.
August 9, 2009
Plays like something out of an indie-film paint-by-numbers.
July 29, 2009
for guys....if you have naggy girlfriend who trying to change you
July 16, 2009
Nice flick, very nice lesson to learn about life! Wish it would be that easy.
½ June 8, 2009
Wow - had heard so many good things about this movie and it was a chore to sit through! If you're an insomniac, this movie may be your remedy - all others, don't waste your time.