She's So Lovely - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

She's So Lovely Reviews

½ September 28, 2012
It's been said before but I'll say it again here..this movie likely suffers because the elder Cassavettes didn't have the chance to film it. Cassavettes had a knack for bringing out great humanity out of his actors. I don't think his son succeeds here.
June 8, 2009
The first half of this film plays out so ideally that I expected it to be a favorite. It falters a lot more in the second half, but it's a totally satisfying movie overall. It draws its audience into a strangely orchestrated story and takes them into genuinely unexpected places. The characters are well-drawn and interesting, and Cassavetes' direction has a nice texture to it. However, this is an actor-driven movie, and these actors are up to the challenge of carrying it. Robin Wright Penn, John Travolta and especially Sean Penn are all brilliant here. Really stunning performances.
iLeo
December 25, 2007
Great!
February 16, 2015
An eccentric walk on the wild side with amazing performances by Sean Penn and Robin Wright (who was married to Penn when the film was made).
February 20, 2011
3/4 Stars

This movie is a good movie with great performances by Sean Penn, her wife Robin Wright, and John Travolta. This movie actually amused me in some ways. It wouldn't be something I would watch over and over again, but I would enjoy this movie more if I did.
October 13, 2010
Intriguing romance drama that chronologs the lives of 3 people in love or something like it. Sean Penn is young and good in the first half of the film as a mumbling, lost soul.

Robin Penn (relation?) is one very confused and upset young woman who sticks with Sean Penn until his drinking makes him do naughty things.

John Travolta, for me, steals this movie away in the last half. As the father of 2 of his 3 young daughters and now married to Robin Penn (after 10 years have passed) we now have the makings of a SHOWDOWN.

Sean Penn gets released from being institutionalized and now Robin Penn must deal with her old boyfriend, but not before John Travolta her husband of 10 years has a say in the matter.

Quite simply very good and while a rough start to watch in the first 15 minutes for me, it kept getting better and better. A lot for your old uncle Rick to say too.

I challenge you to find She's So Lovely, written by veteran director/actor John Cassevettes (Rosemary's Baby) of the 70s and directed by his son Nick Cassevettes.
½ November 1, 2009
She's So Lovely (1997) Good movie about bad people. I mainly rented this because it was John Cassavettes son Nick producing and directing his father?s last script. I have long been fan of John Cassavettes movies even though they are not main street movie fare. Maureen is pregnant and her husband Eddie is missing. Nervous, Maureen shares a couple of drinks with neighbor Kiefer, who tries to rape her and then beats her. When Eddie returns and finds his wife bruised, he goes ballistic, shoots a paramedic and is put in a psychiatric institution. Ten years later, Eddie is released and finds that Maureen has divorced him and is remarried with three children, one of whom is his little girl Jeanie. Eddie goes to reclaim his wife. Ebert made point that it helps going into this movie to realize in advance that the two main characters are "mad" or "insane" Sean Penn said this was one of his best works never seen. He won the Best Actor prize at the Cannes Film Festival for his hot-blooded and heartfelt performance as Eddie Quinn. The movie can be seen to be about the power of love. Those of a more practical mind may see it as a sad depiction of a woman unable to escape completely the lure of sex and self-abuse (from an insane man). I see this movie as kind of a comic-romance. The movie is choppy and spirals downward to nowhere in the last half. This is an ok movie but not a masterpiece. Both Penn's are fantastic in their roles but the storyline and time line in the movie sucked. There's nothing wrong with works that deal with ugliness, even celebrate it. The most profoundly moral of films may be the most disturbing. But when writers/directors/producers trivialize ugliness, turn it into light, ironic comedy, make it nothing more than an occasion for throwaway style comedic/anger improvisation, the film becomes ugly itself. This film was only intermittently enjoyable. three stars
November 1, 2009
She's So Lovely (1997) Good movie about bad people. I mainly rented this because it was John Cassavettes son Nick producing and directing his fatherÔ??s last script. I have long been fan of John Cassavettes movies even though they are not main street movie fare. Maureen is pregnant and her husband Eddie is missing. Nervous, Maureen shares a couple of drinks with neighbor Kiefer, who tries to rape her and then beats her. When Eddie returns and finds his wife bruised, he goes ballistic, shoots a paramedic and is put in a psychiatric institution. Ten years later, Eddie is released and finds that Maureen has divorced him and is remarried with three children, one of whom is his little girl Jeanie. Eddie goes to reclaim his wife. Ebert made point that it helps going into this movie to realize in advance that the two main characters are "mad" or "insane" Sean Penn said this was one of his best works never seen. He won the Best Actor prize at the Cannes Film Festival for his hot-blooded and heartfelt performance as Eddie Quinn. The movie can be seen to be about the power of love. Those of a more practical mind may see it as a sad depiction of a woman unable to escape completely the lure of sex and self-abuse (from an insane man). I see this movie as kind of a comic-romance. The movie is choppy and spirals downward to nowhere in the last half. This is an ok movie but not a masterpiece. Both Penn's are fantastic in their roles but the storyline and time line in the movie sucked. There's nothing wrong with works that deal with ugliness, even celebrate it. The most profoundly moral of films may be the most disturbing. But when writers/directors/producers trivialize ugliness, turn it into light, ironic comedy, make it nothing more than an occasion for throwaway style comedic/anger improvisation, the film becomes ugly itself. This film was only intermittently enjoyable. three stars
September 9, 2009
I can't figure out if this was an offbeat, brilliant, quirky bit of black humor, or simply a total mess of a movie. There's certainly a lot of talent put to pretty good use here: Robin Wright Penn more than holds her own in every scene with Sean Penn, John Travolta, James Gandolfini, and Harry Dean Stanton -- and all of them are terrific. And you want to sympathize with her plight. But the film turns downright bizarre three-quarters of the way through -- like all of a sudden Quentin Tarantino took the reins from Nick Cassavettes. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but like I said, I'm just not sure if Nick meant for this to happen, or if he just lost control.
½ June 7, 2007
Sean Penn and Robin Wright Penn are Terrific, as are John Travolta and James Gandolfini in a minor role. Personally, I didn't agree with the choice made at the ending, but I understand it. A forgotten and woefully underrated little film.
½ April 1, 2016
Hilarious, quite touching, but also puzzling.
½ September 20, 2015
Terrible ! Can't believe I waisted my time!
February 16, 2015
October 11, 2014
This bizarro comedy is flat-out hilarious. Sean Penn and John Travolta are awesome as the world's worst husbands. Robin Wright is fantastic as well. This is Cassavetes at their finest hours.
March 17, 2013
Offbeat is the best way to describe this film. Quirky is another way. I hope Nick Cassavettes makes more films like this in the future, maybe with a little less meandering. Great performances by the cast, this was when Travolta was regaining his status as a bankable actor and he steals the show in very limited screen time. John Cassavettes sure did know how to write an unusual story. It takes a while to get going, but once it does it's thoroughly entertaining. Some great dialogue especially by Travolta.
February 12, 2013
Full of John Cassavetes' sharp New Yorker jive and extravagantly lively characters. Sean Penn's performance should be ranked among his personal best, along with Milk and Dead Man Walking.
½ August 23, 2007
A lovely film (pun not intended). Every actor in this film brings their A-Game.
½ September 28, 2012
July 23, 2012
A very good movie. Sad though.
½ June 9, 2012
Great acting but overall kind of depressing. You Shakespeare fans out there will be happy though- full of wordy dialogue that at first sounds good but that we quickly realize has no meaning, but that pseudo intellectuals will claim has meaning for generations to come! Shakespearean, indeed!